Quantcast

~{○●○}~ 011923 Turdsday GMTee ~{○●○}~

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Here. Just got a call from the kart shop... Clutch shoes are toast. Usually lose about 10% of power because it's not being put down. It also has a cheaper engine mount (already been told this), where flex will cause adtl loss, but only a few %. Back of the envelope, she'll be hitting track 40-50% more power.

And apparently the guys at the shop really like her, because she's a smartass little shit. Enough so that they were telling the owner about her when they were going through the kart with him. She will make my life difficult. I just know it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That's been my experience throughout my career any time I've worked with offshore teams. If you don't give specific instructions, it will be done the easiest way. Not the best, or most logical, or most maintainable, but the easiest.
easiest is also quickest.

lots of hand holding required to get them through things

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Rode. It started sleeting like crazy during the last two miles, was fun. Now it's going to be pissing rain and wet snow for the next 30 hours.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Significantly more prevalent with India than with i.e. the poor part of Europe (Poland, Romania, Ukraine, even Belarus).

We actually had a manager from India explain the cultural differences and how to better work with teams in India and he straight up spelled that out. I got really good results at first after building a good relationship with their technical lead as he felt he could speak the truth without any backlash, all off the record. He would call me immediately after every meeting and explain what he couldn't say in front of everyone. He also realized that he was trusted to make certain decisions and I wasn't going to punish him if things didn't work out. He was awesome and of course left for another job and wasn't able to do the same thing with his replacement. Typically see about 75% turnover every year.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Significantly more prevalent with India than with i.e. the poor part of Europe (Poland, Romania, Ukraine, even Belarus).
I'll take your word for it. I had few issues with my Polish coworkers at another job and haven't had much exposure to other Eastern European countries.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'll take your word for it. I had few issues with my Polish coworkers at another job and haven't had much exposure to other Eastern European countries.
I had a Polish coworker get fired after asking in a meeting if there was a man in charge he could talk to after meeting a customer's Engineering Manager who was a woman.

:rofl:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It doesn't help that they have zero experience with the shit they are working on. Just a bunch of Computer Scientist majors that I am asking to write software for giant machines that drill holes that they have never seen nor really understand what they do. And I can't even show them a lot of the information that they really should know because of export restrictions. So it really doesn't make much sense to have them do the work, but certainly not my decision. However they are all better than the dipshit new hire I was given.
They don't have access to any of the laser or optics info on our systems. But yeah, you will never hear "we've never done this before" yet they have in fact never done this before.

At Leviton they didn't know Java, but they were learning. :rofl:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
A coworker got a call that his work truck was pissing gas all over the parking lot at work. We pulled it in and found a perfectly drilled hole in the bottom of the tank.

Big city livin'!
He pissed off someone... $20 the cat is gone tomorrow (assuming it's not towed today).

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The massive gulf between truly collectivist/high-context cultures and western/individualist culture is hard to explain for anyone who hasn't experienced it real-life, real-time.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The last year of my previous job/company was basically training a team in India how to do my job, so they could inevitably take my job.

I was laid off at the end of that.

The company went out of business the next year....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Skied. Passed by a legit wreck on the WP side of Berthoud. RDX I think, right side caved in. Lexus NX with front caved in. Acura got sideways and in the wrong lane, methinks. All airbags deployed but no gore visible.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Skied. Passed by a legit wreck on the WP side of Berthoud. RDX I think, right side caved in. Lexus NX with front caved in. Acura got sideways and in the wrong lane, methinks. All airbags deployed but no gore visible.
"Accident"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if only a medically trained professional were nearby.........
I need a CT scanner or an MRI to be useful. Also by the time I passed them there were probably 5 fire/EMT trucks there and an ambulance to boot.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Does India have a ‘Collectivist’ mindset? Or is just within castes?
Indian castes don't mix. Castes among the immigrants in the US are as bad if not worse than in India, because it's a cultural taboo here. Individuals rely on hive mind for decision making and general avoidance of responsibility, but compete viciously during any opportunity for raising above peers. Viciously. Ethics is for losers.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well, yeah, that was the point of my inquiry. How can there be a ‘collective mind’, if there are castes that refuse to mix? Of course, in this context (engineers, etc), most will be Brahmin. But not all.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, yeah, that was the point of my inquiry. How can there be a ‘collective mind’, if there are castes that refuse to mix? Of course, in this context (engineers, etc), most will be Brahmin. But not all.
Caste does not impact collectivism. There are always limits to a collective, but it's not a matter of where social borders are...it's a matter of whether your individual rights/desires/wants are subsumed to those of the whole. And in India, along with much of the non-Western world, you're always a cog in someone else's wheel. Nothing is your own, really.

This is why it's more important to save face for the group in a process than to find the problem and fix it.

And that's absolutely a wrong charaterization of caste, Brahmin in particular.