Quantcast

●●turdsday gfmt●●

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
... I do firmly believe that most folks here, regardless of how far left they think, would and can engage in civil discourse with someone who has more conservative values and beliefs, and probably even welcome it.
Are there really left thinking people on here? Because to me most of you sound pretty middle of the road, normal thinking folks. Disclaimer: I am using an European standard here.

So just to make sure, I just took the Pew Political Typology Quiz and as expected, I'm a "solid liberal" based on that. My sense is the majority of this forum ranges anywhere from "pretty darned left-leaned" all the way to "kill all the white people" on the typology spectrum. There are times that (and this might also be an unpopular opinion here) that RM is too much of an echo chamber. The only forum member I know of that self-identifies as a conservative and will cop to it is Brian, but mostly he's just a self-serving asshole (not really a conservative in my opinion) near as I can tell. I personally applaud you for this post, and I do firmly believe that most folks here, regardless of how far left they think, would and can engage in civil discourse with someone who has more conservative values and beliefs, and probably even welcome it.
I think Inclag is on Brian's end of things, but he doesn't say much. For the most part, over time RM has managed to caused most right wing folks and women to go elsewhere.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I personally applaud you for this post, and I do firmly believe that most folks here, regardless of how far left they think, would and can engage in civil discourse with someone who has more conservative values and beliefs, and probably even welcome it.
That's very cool of you. Thank you. I honestly didn't want to bring in my own political affiliation into that post but I thought it would make things as transparent as possible in regards to where I was coming from.

I'll have to take that test to see where I actually land.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Are there really left thinking people on here? Because to me most of you sound pretty middle of the road, normal thinking folks. Disclaimer: I am using an European standard here.
Curious, what are some issues (and opinions about those issues) that you feel are "left thinking"? I do feel like the majority of folks here that post sociopolitical content are (in an American context at the very least) left-of-center. What to you would constitute a "European left thinking" viewpoint?

I attempted the quiz, but after the 5th or 6th binary-thinking question I had to quit taking it.
Mmm, wish there was more nuance in the questions and answers, it was a bit black and white for my tastes.
Yeah, there should have been a neither option for each.
Agreed, for sure, that it was too binary. There was a disclaimer at the beginning alluding to that. I treated the survey like I tend to approach choosing a candidate to vote for. And that's to say, it's like public transportation. When you need to get somewhere and there's no bus going exactly where you want to go, you just gotta get on the one that take's you the closest.

I think Inclag is on Brian's end of things, but he doesn't say much. For the most part, over time RM has managed to caused most right wing folks and women to go elsewhere.
Likely for different reasons. Maybe.

That's very cool of you. Thank you. I honestly didn't want to bring in my own political affiliation into that post but I thought it would make things as transparent as possible in regards to where I was coming from.

I'll have to take that test to see where I actually land.
I honestly wonder how many people actually land where they self-identify, if they were to be honest with their answers to actual policy questions. That Pew survey is far from perfect, but I chose it because Pew is a respected research organization. Even though the answer options were binary, could have been more nuanced, etc. I do suspect that they likely account for that in their method of analysis.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I attempted the quiz, but after the 5th or 6th binary-thinking question I had to quit taking it.

This, and this is a large problem with our political conversation today. Each and everyone of those issues is complex and nuanced. Too many people argue over those binary conclusions rather than discussing the more complex reasoning and cause/effect behind it. Why can't we have a good national defence policy that includes both good diplomacy as the primary doctrine with military strength to back that up when it doesn't or cannot work?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So just to make sure, I just took the Pew Political Typology Quiz and as expected, I'm a "solid liberal" based on that. My sense is the majority of this forum ranges anywhere from "pretty darned left-leaned" all the way to "kill all the white people" on the typology spectrum. There are times that (and this might also be an unpopular opinion here) that RM is too much of an echo chamber. The only forum member I know of that self-identifies as a conservative and will cop to it is Brian, but mostly he's just a self-serving asshole (not really a conservative in my opinion) near as I can tell. I personally applaud you for this post, and I do firmly believe that most folks here, regardless of how far left they think, would and can engage in civil discourse with someone who has more conservative values and beliefs, and probably even welcome it.
I wholeheartedly applaud and encourage this sentiment.
I have a few conservative friends, but not one that still supports Trump.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I am here, friends, safe at home from the DC riots. Of course I was not in DC yesterday, so it makes sense that I am ok.

I got word that the person they hired to replace me at my old job quit after a month because it was too overwhelming. NO FUCKING SHIT. lmao

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Curious, what are some issues (and opinions about those issues) that you feel are "left thinking"? I do feel like the majority of folks here that post sociopolitical content are (in an American context at the very least) left-of-center. What to you would constitute a "European left thinking" viewpoint?
From my point of view e.g. affordable healthcare for all, free or cheap education, governmental programs to take care of unemployed and socially disadvantaged people, LGBTQ rights are not lefty ideas but normal mainstream. Really left ideas that are pushed here would be e.g. universal basic income for every citizen, high taxation of rich people (defining "rich" the way that even normal people with above average income would fall into that, so most of you with a house and 2 cars), 30-35 hrs work weeks with full salary, waiving the debt of poor countries, pushing of vegetarian lifestyle.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
From my point of view e.g. affordable healthcare for all, free or cheap education, governmental programs to take care of unemployed and socially disadvantaged people, LGBTQ rights are not lefty ideas but normal mainstream. Really left ideas that are pushed here would be e.g. universal basic income for every citizen, high taxation of rich people (defining "rich" the way that even normal people with above average income would fall into that, so most of you with a house and 2 cars), 30-35 hrs work weeks with full salary, waiving the debt of poor countries, pushing of vegetarian lifestyle.
Consider that roughly 40-45% of the people in this country seem to be against each of those things you identify as "normal mainstream", perhaps it sheds light on why I (we) consider those things to be progressive. As for the other stuff... I appreciate the insight. I cannot speak for anyone else here, but there's not a thing on that list that I would be against depending on it's implementation. Our government has a special way of fucking up even legislation with the best of intentions.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A few months ago I started using movie themes for fake location in the virtual meetings I setup (Nakatomi Plaza, Bonwit Teller). It started catching on and I just got a meeting invite from our VP for an all hands with the location set as Turbo and Ozone's place.

I feel like a social media influencer

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Consider that roughly 40-45% of the people in this country seem to be against each of those things you identify as "normal mainstream", perhaps it sheds light on why I (we) consider those things to be progressive. As for the other stuff... I appreciate the insight. I cannot speak for anyone else here, but there's not a thing on that list that I would be against depending on it's implementation. Our government has a special way of fucking up even legislation with the best of intentions.
The issue with these "left" ideas is that they are not necessarily easy to finance and the parties pushing for them do not explain how they want to do so.
It is also funny (or not) that the right here have mainly an issue with immigrants, but are not opposing health care, unemployment benefits and such if they are for "our people". The way I see it, they are more about protecting their privileges against newcomers to the society than die-hard racist intentions. I did hear a nice presentation of a cultural anthropologist a while ago who claimed that especially people with a migration background themselves are more likely to reject newcomers to society in fear of their privileges moving over to those or having to share the resources.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
A few months ago I started using movie themes for fake location in the virtual meetings I setup (Nakatomi Plaza, Bonwit Teller). It started catching on and I just got a meeting invite from our VP for an all hands with the location set as Turbo and Ozone's place.

I feel like a social media influencer
Woah... kind of a deep cut there.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
1610056543398.png

Thanks @Changleen. I've been really struggling to identify myself lately. I'm pretty much disgusted with all of the sides being identified by extremists . According to the Pew one that @Full Trucker posted I'm an Opportunity Democrat, but like @jebfour I'm a registered Republican just because 28 years ago when I registered that's what everyone around me was. Definitely haven't identified with that in a long time, but I wasn't really sure where I was (am). Easygoingopenmindedocrat?:confused:

I also noticed I trend a little further Authoritarian than people without kids. Just an observation.:D

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yes, exactly on that point @johnbryanpeters — I was going to clarify for the American audience that libertarian is not the same as, erm, ‘libertarianism’, at least as defined in the US by people like Rand Paul. He is a neo-liberal libertarian; liberal with his lack of desire to control the outcomes of the market or individuals. IMO this is possibly the most childish and shortsighted of all political positions.
0BD7C2E6-8708-476D-8B7E-1E1D2D4EB9D5.jpeg