Quantcast

☆☆ two's day ☆☆

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Views of woods around us are transitioning from tree trunks and sky to green opacity. Sometime around sunset I wandered out and saw a black bear running through the woods across the stream. :wave:
I can't wait to move into our house. We'll be trading the constant sound of traffic for peepers, turkeys, deer, bobcats, and the occasional black bear. Plus stars and quiet.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all

another home day with whole family. Awaiting PCR results from yesterday morning.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Misery loves company!
At least futures are up this morning!

"The stock market is up! Why are my stocks down?" Well 1, you're mostly in bonds. And 2, mutual funds price at end of day, so you're seeing yesterday's pricing. "How do you fix it?" You don't. That's how it works. "But how do you fix it?"

"Tell me about Crypto..." It's the same as before. An unregulated currency that's supported by no underlying assets (like a stock), no underlying debt commitment (like a bond), or any ability to tax to support it (like a real currency). It's effectively theoretical and people are trading it. It's only value is based on what people are willing to pay for it and nothing more. Would you like to learn about tulips?

"Why is my account down? I'm supposed to be in safe investments!" You're largely in bonds, but they are still impacted by inflation. It's largely short-term bonds, so as they mature, you'll be getting into higher yield bonds, which will balance things out, but that will take some time. "But you said I wouldn't lose money" Yeah, no. I never said that. Compared to stock losses would be less in a down swing, and you are well within that umbrella. Also, weren't you 100% in stock six months ago? If we had done nothing, you'd be down 15%; you're down 5%. "That's not important. I've lost money"

This is my life right now.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

"The stock market is up! Why are my stocks down?" Well 1, you're mostly in bonds. And 2, mutual funds price at end of day, so you're seeing yesterday's pricing. "How do you fix it?" You don't. That's how it works. "But how do you fix it?"

"Tell me about Crypto..." It's the same as before. An unregulated currency that's supported by no underlying assets (like a stock), no underlying debt commitment (like a bond), or any ability to tax to support it (like a real currency). It's effectively theoretical and people are trading it. It's only value is based on what people are willing to pay for it and nothing more. Would you like to learn about tulips?

"Why is my account down? I'm supposed to be in safe investments!" You're largely in bonds, but they are still impacted by inflation. It's largely short-term bonds, so as they mature, you'll be getting into higher yield bonds, which will balance things out, but that will take some time. "But you said I wouldn't lose money" Yeah, no. I never said that. Compared to stock losses would be less in a down swing, and you are well within that umbrella. Also, weren't you 100% in stock six months ago? If we had done nothing, you'd be down 15%; you're down 5%. "That's not important. I've lost money"

You need to hang out your own shingle so you can be a bit more selective of your clients... :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

most people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.

my CFP loves that we don't panic when our account is down and that we don't want to touch it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

:rofl:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You need to hang out your own shingle so you can be a bit more selective of your clients... :D
For the most part my clients are good. People who I've been working with for a while have been listening when I say to expect things will go down at times - we just have to make sure that the risk is proper in advance. Give a little to get a lot is how I describe it to Haley. Give up some gains, to get a lot more protection on the downside. It's the ones who are relatively new to the plans, came to me independently, or have lost a bunch of money and are in panic mode. I can't undo things after your house is on fire, I can only mitigate at that point.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For the most part my clients are good. People who I've been working with for a while have been listening when I say to expect things will go down at times - we just have to make sure that the risk is proper in advance. Give a little to get a lot is how I describe it to Haley. Give up some gains, to get a lot more protection on the downside. It's the ones who are relatively new to the plans, came to me independently, or have lost a bunch of money and are in panic mode. I can't undo things after your house is on fire, I can only mitigate at that point.
personally, i'm glad the stock market is low right now :brows:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Made the mistake of looking at mine the other day. :twitch:
I've lost some. But realistically not that much. Why? RISK MITIGATION! Build a portfolio that can handle most risk and you're fine. Also, mind timelines. 15yrs out? meh. 3yrs out? Wake the FUCK UP!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
20220510_094408.jpg

the mailman was nice to me yesterday....as were the magic castles and brian jonestown massacre...

harrassed by a cop for napping on the side of the road...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My results were similar. Have to keep reminding myself that I've got at least 20 more years. Which is why I generally adopt the philosophy of not looking very often.

i cant look at what i dont have....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
harrassed by a cop for napping on the side of the road...
back in college i came across one of the campus police napping in his squad car by the climbing gym (an old converted barn). it was in a parking lot that was rarely used and couldn't be seen from the main loop road. i was on my bike and had time to kill, so i rode back to my apartment, grabbed my roommates polaroid camera and rode back. he was still there, still asleep. snapped a polaroid of him asleep in the car, wrote on the bottom "got you good you fucker" and left it under the windshield wiper.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
hay-zeus, you guys have been talkative this morning... already 35 comments and it's just 10am!

played hooky yesterday, it was a gorgeous day - sunny and warm (but not hot just yet). Rode my bike in the woods in the morning, then went to visit my mom in the afternoon. it was a good day overall.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So Wifey's company has a raging bitch in their building, but they've just had to deal with her because she was nothing more than a raging bitch. Last night? She posted a rant to the internal message board that broadcasts to over 500 people. Straight libel. Not even a little bit of a question. When I left to take Hannah to school she was already on the phone with her boss about getting the company atty involved, as it calls them out individually by name in adtn to the company name. Ms. Bitch is about to get throttled. :D :popcorn:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So Wifey's company has a raging bitch in their building, but they've just had to deal with her because she was nothing more than a raging bitch. Last night? She posted a rant to the internal message board that broadcasts to over 500 people. Straight libel. Not even a little bit of a question. When I left to take Hannah to school she was already on the phone with her boss about getting the company atty involved, as it calls them out individually by name in adtn to the company name. Ms. Bitch is about to get throttled. :D :popcorn:

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
View attachment 176235

last i checked my 401k is down 13% YTD, but much less over the last 12 months
Honestly haven’t looked at my funds in years. I have a CFP that I trust and that’s what I pay him for. Considering my age and when I will need it, no point in causing more stress. I will not forget my coworkers that were 45-55 in 08-09 and were losing their fucking minds. A few of them cashed out and took a bath.