Quantcast

☆☆ two's day ☆☆

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
At least futures are up this morning!

"The stock market is up! Why are my stocks down?" Well 1, you're mostly in bonds. And 2, mutual funds price at end of day, so you're seeing yesterday's pricing. "How do you fix it?" You don't. That's how it works. "But how do you fix it?"

"Tell me about Crypto..." It's the same as before. An unregulated currency that's supported by no underlying assets (like a stock), no underlying debt commitment (like a bond), or any ability to tax to support it (like a real currency). It's effectively theoretical and people are trading it. It's only value is based on what people are willing to pay for it and nothing more. Would you like to learn about tulips?

"Why is my account down? I'm supposed to be in safe investments!" You're largely in bonds, but they are still impacted by inflation. It's largely short-term bonds, so as they mature, you'll be getting into higher yield bonds, which will balance things out, but that will take some time. "But you said I wouldn't lose money" Yeah, no. I never said that. Compared to stock losses would be less in a down swing, and you are well within that umbrella. Also, weren't you 100% in stock six months ago? If we had done nothing, you'd be down 15%; you're down 5%. "That's not important. I've lost money"

This is my life right now.
Don't wanna lose money = bank account

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Don't wanna lose money = bank account
In a high inflation environment that's losing, though.

/me continues to dollar cost average in. Kind of unfortunate timing that the second half payment for July's rental house in Kauai will be posting soon, but it is what it is.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Taco Tuesday and I gotta go to the DMV, yay. Forgot the wife's quad had to be there for out of state vin inspection, ugh. So I get to load it up and go back. But first, my one useless meeting of the day

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
3D printer is pissing me off, so I'll be doing battle with that rather than doing real work today, win?

People don't see inflation like they do market losses.

Besides, you aren't losing money to inflation. Just purchasing power. Same end result though.
I think they're starting to though. Inflation has generally been slow enough that it was almost imperceptible, now it's very much perceptible. I'm actually getting my ass kicked harder (percentage wise) on inflation/cost of goods than in the markets.

What is money without purchasing power? Not to sound like too much of a dirty hippie, but it's all a construct.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Brb I got $20k with a new home.

Edit: Do you guys not have emergency funds? If you do it right, you can establish a bond ladder to yield this rate with maturities every month or two. It gets your cash into higher yield investments, where your limitation is a 1yr no-access timeline. Otherwise the risk is effectively zero (if you draw <5yrs you lose 3m of interest).

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Pretty much decided that USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL are now just a roulette wheel of random delivery dates.

6 out of 6 shipments I currently have via each one of the big 4 are all delayed by at least 2 days each and 2 others wont make tomorrows delivery date.

One amazon product bailed completely and shipped direct from china, its label has been created for a week now with zero movement.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Pretty much decided that USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL are now just a roulette wheel of random delivery dates.

6 out of 6 shipments I currently have via each one of the big 4 are all delayed by at least 2 days each and 2 others wont make tomorrows delivery date.

One amazon product bailed completely and shipped direct from china, its label has been created for a week now with zero movement.
am i the only one here that hasn't had a single delayed shipment recently?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So of course the guy I bought the bike from isn't the guy on the title and the guy on the title signed the front, not the back. Fu......

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Brb I got $20k with a new home.

Edit: Do you guys not have emergency funds? If you do it right, you can establish a bond ladder to yield this rate with maturities every month or two. It gets your cash into higher yield investments, where your limitation is a 1yr no-access timeline. Otherwise the risk is effectively zero (if you draw <5yrs you lose 3m of interest).
I wish I understood how to do this. Kind of bothers me having 6 mo worth of savings sitting earning fuck all in interest.

So of course the guy I bought the bike from isn't the guy on the title and the guy on the title signed the front, not the back. Fu......
My magic 8-ball predicts much frustration in your future...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So, apparently the mandatory windshield coverage by auto-insurance in MA comes with a caveat emptor - the insurance will only cover so much and the prices of replacement parts keep going up, so some shops refuse to work on insurance claims because they would lose money. Shocking. They should just call it auto co-insurance. :dead: