Quantcast

☕☕☕2sday GMT☕☕☕

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
ambitious bucket list for someone that's already middle aged. not to be a dick, but i'm already coming to the realization that there are things that i want to do, but likely won't be physically able to by the time i get around to them. and i'm OK with that.
Yeah. I don't disagree, but dammit I'm not going to give up yet. If my Dad, who just turned 62 can still do marathons at a sub-8min pace I can sort my shit out and challenge myself too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Also, that looks way cooler. My concern is support. Have you seen if it's doable with Sherpa help? I'm pretty sure I'd die if I tried to pack the thing by myself (or even with friends)
EBC i've heard is doable without sherpas, but you are dirtbagging it in a major way, and you need to be able to haggle / negotiate with locals to acquire provisions along the way.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah. I don't disagree, but dammit I'm not going to give up yet. If my Dad, who just turned 62 can still do marathons at a sub-8min pace I can sort my shit out and challenge myself too.
for sure. not saying ambitious is a bad thing. gotta be mindful of calculated risks once you have kids. a buddy of mine got me roped in to to doing a winter ascent of Mt Washington next year.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
for sure. not saying ambitious is a bad thing. gotta be mindful of calculated risks once you have kids. a buddy of mine got me roped in to to doing a winter ascent of Mt Washington next year.
That's a properly bad idea. A couple years back a few of us had started planning Denali and then the kids started popping out. That's indefinitely off the table.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Don't people pretty routinely die doing that?
people routinely die driving to work. i'll take my chances.

my understanding though is that many of the deaths resulted from decisions to go in extra poor conditions. the guy i'm going with has done it 5 or 6 times in the winter alone.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
One of the things that I noticed making the largest effect was when I made a point to keep my head down. It flattened me out quite a bit and instead of breaking the water with my head it started to flow over. That scrubbed a min off my 500 within a week of getting used to it.
Waterline should be right above your eyebrow. Looking forward-down, just like when riding at speed. Head should be slightly 'bow up', like a boat, planing off chest. In water= drag plus other negs like longer motion to breathe which fucks up your stroke, which makes you slow/sink, which makes swimming harder.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
there is so much adventure to be found in CO, or certainly as broad as North America, that traveling 1/2 way across the world to hike/climb/swim seems silly.

I was riding on the CT last Summer and talked with two women who were hiking from the front range to Durango. They were 3 segments in and had a month of hiking ahead of them. One just got the 'all clear' from her fight with cancer and wanted to do something big, the other was her friend. I'd think doing that would rival almost anything from a 'get out and explore' perspective.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
EBC i've heard is doable without sherpas, but you are dirtbagging it in a major way, and you need to be able to haggle / negotiate with locals to acquire provisions along the way.
Coming from someone who's been there, it wouldn't be that bad. Most of the towns along the way have little stores that can supply whatever foodsies you need. So long as you brought adequate camping supplies you'd be okay. It would be a healthy load to carry but certainly doable.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

I got moved out of the bat cave just as 4 outsourced contractors are moving it. It is quite crowded in there now and the funk level will be higher than I am comfortable with.

Stoney, the wifey and I were talking about that this weekend. There are a lot of places we have both gone, just not together. The list is short for places out of the country as there are a lot of places in the states I've never been. A lot of those places I would like to see either on a moto or in something fun (my car or funner).

I laugh when talking about bucket lists because I was voted most likely to die by 36, so I've been winging it ever since. :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Swimmonkey redux today, eh?

My ambitions are in check these days:

- bring kids to Japan while my grandmother is still alive (happening in May--tickets now booked!)
- get out and ski next winter
- continue to play music with a good group
- electric motorcycle or bicycle for fair-weather commuting, maybe in the fall?
- maybe take up indoor rock climbing once the local climbing gym opens?
- drive to some scenic off-road spots with my Land Cruiser once I get sturdier tires on it

I think I can achieve these things. :D

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I laugh when talking about bucket lists because I was voted most likely to die by 36, so I've been winging it ever since. :rofl:
This.
I try to keep my bucket list down to a single item; the bucket my kids will use to dump my ashes into the Atlantic with.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Howdy folks.
Moving day. internet chores are done & have 40 mins to kill before my landlord meets me.
I will be living in hotel in downtown LV for a few days until we drive to CO on Friday. Hoping they clear the rocks in Glenwood Canyon by then. Volunteering at the Boulder Int'l Film Fest too. Cant wait to get involved.
Cheers.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Last edited:
Do you honestly think sane people do triathlons without the intention of racing?
I would hope so. I rode the VT 50 multiple times with no intention of winning. Got told by a cousin a couple of weeks after one of them that I had taken second place on old farts novice, hadn't even thought to look at results. I'd venture to try a triathlon just to see if I could complete it (this would mean that I would have to learn to run again...).

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I would hope so. I rode the VT 50 multiple times with no intention of winning. Got told by a cousin a couple of weeks after one of them that I had taken second place on old farts novice, hadn't even thought to look at results. I'd venture to try a triathlon just to see if I could complete it (this would mean that I would have to learn to run again...).
Years ago I was given a bib for a Christmas Day marathon because one member of the team could not make it. We never thought to change change anything on the registration because for us it was a fun run. The problem was finishing 2nd in an age group that 20 years older then I was at the time. We had to disqualify our entire team to make things right, we were not racing but I'm pretty sure the guy who should have had 2nd was. Thankfully it was a small operation and things could easily be changed.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I think if it more as a 'what sounds interesting to do' list, as I forget a lot of cool things that seem interesting and I would like to do. Seeing Aurora Borealis in Iceland (or in general) is on my must do list. It's

Also, that looks way cooler. My concern is support. Have you seen if it's doable with Sherpa help? I'm pretty sure I'd die if I tried to pack the thing by myself (or even with friends)
I did the Annapurna Circuit in 2005. It took me 14 days I think. But the route is changing as the government is building roads into what used to be remote communities. But from what I understand, they are also building trails that circumvent the roads and maintain the route alive.

From what I remember, it's essentially an old trading route for salt from Tibet down to the Silk Road. It's millenia-old. You hike from "guest-house" to "guest-house". They are usually a day or less apart. They have food and beds. (you bring your own sleeping bag and clothes). You hike up one valley to a mountain pass (Thorong-La), then down another valley to the main highway. It's beatiful. And after about three days, you kind of hit this rythm, and let go of all the worries and habits of your old life... it's amazing.

What I did was hike up carrying all my own crap until about 3000m (just under 10,000ft). Then we hired a porter to carry half our stuff up until we got over the Thorong La (17,770 ft). Then we resumed carrying our stuff back down ourselves. I think we may have given our porter our winter jackets and cold weather gear as a tip!

This is something i would like to do again with my boys, it was such an awesome experience. But they have to be able to walk alone for a full day before this can happen. I'm guessing at least ten. The other problematic thing will be pitching this idea to my wife, since I did the trip with my ex... :/

Another highlight of my life happened in Nepal, and that was visiting the elephant sanctuary at Chitwan National Park. They take the elephants out to have a bath in the river every day, and you can basically play and frolic with the elephants in the water. They (the elephants and their handlers) let you climb on them, spray you with water and try and toss you off their backs like a bucking bronco... they are amazingly gentle creatures.
IMG_4304.JPG
My mom recently found an old video of me riding an elephant and I just showed it to my kids and they lost their minds. It was really cool.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ball is rolling for summer trekking. CO monkey email is sent, email to my friends back home is sent, email to the old man is sent. I bet I can knock off three 14er's this summer. Maybe even find one where I can do a 3-day trip out of it. Hike in, ascend, hike out. That would be fun (and wearing).

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Ball is rolling for summer trekking. CO monkey email is sent, email to my friends back home is sent, email to the old man is sent. I bet I can knock off three 14er's this summer. Maybe even find one where I can do a 3-day trip out of it. Hike in, ascend, hike out. That would be fun (and wearing).
My dad did Mt Evans, Longs Peak and Pikes Peak the year he retired. For him Longs Peak was the most crowded, he described it as a solid line of people as far as his lamp could see at 2AM or whatever insane hour trekkers start.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My dad did Mt Evans, Longs Peak and Pikes Peak the year he retired. For him Longs Peak was the most crowded, he described it as a solid line of people as far as his lamp could see at 2AM or whatever insane hour trekkers start.
Drive the other 2?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Do you honestly think sane people do triathlons without the intention of racing?
There is something fun about racing that has hooked me. I like the training, I like seeing the progress, and I like race day. I've had a bunch of top 10 and a number of top 5 finishes in my runs. I'd love to snag a win one of these days.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
There is something fun about racing that has hooked me. I like the training, I like seeing the progress, and I like race day. I've had a bunch of top 10 and a number of top 5 finishes in my runs. I'd love to snag a win one of these days.
You've done some sprints, right? Any Olympic or half length yet?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Hell young uns just go out and do it. I have friends in their late 70s still fininishing Ironmans under the cut off. A buddy my age just completed his 30th Ironman. This oh you're old and need to slow down thing , it's all in your mind. If you really want to do something train your ass off then give it a go. you have no idea whar your limits are until you give it a try. I was an active Wildland Fire Fighter until age 56.. Just go do it and stop over thinking every thing.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
You've done some sprints, right? Any Olympic or half length yet?
Last year was my first year. 5 off road sprints, 1 sprint, and 1 Olympic. They all went the same, pretty much: Back of the pack on the swim, middle of the pack on the bike, front of the pack on the run. I was top 25% in those races overall, thanks to relying heavily on the run. I've improved in all three over the fall and winter.

Oh, I've also done a bunch of duathlons, so I wasn't totally new to multisport racing.