Quantcast

♋︎♋︎♋︎❄︎❄︎❄︎ We Doin' This or.... ? ❄︎❄︎❄︎♋︎♋︎♋︎

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Also on Team Mac, also have had all the similar experiences regarding longevity and reliability as previously stated. IMNSHO, Windows seems super bloated for an OS, and generally speaking (though there are exceptions) PC laptops are disposable at best. I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro that is still humming right along. It is on the newest version of MacOS that it can handle, and is just now starting to see some apps not be supported. Heck, I think it'll even run some version of Adobe Creative Cloud, if I wanted to. Given how long these Bad Larrys last and that every OS upgrade has been 'free' (don't you have to pay for new Windows versions?) and I really don't see the argument that they're overpriced as holding water.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
not anymore. with windows 11 there are some hardware requirements that may prevent certain machines from updating.
Both of my machines fail this test.

My laptop is from 2012 and used to be my work laptop. I also have a little 8ish year old Intel NUC computer under the TV used for streaming etc and that also fails the test.

Maybe by the time this laptop dies my current work one will become mine, solving the support issue.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
An anecdote regarding Apple and making customers happy:

My work laptop is a 2017 era Intel MacBook Pro 15", acquired early 2018. It was the generation of the butterfly keyboard, I believe. Short travel, felt ok at first, would eventually degrade in feel even though nominally functional.

A little googling showed that Apple, in late 2021, had a goodwill program for these generations of laptops. I took it in to the Apple Store, the Genius Bar dude typed space-[various keys] over and over again, noted that the P key repeated once or twice. Boom.

Gratis replacement of the top case, keyboard, and battery, computer back in my paws 3 days later. Happy customer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Both of my machines fail this test.

My laptop is from 2012 and used to be my work laptop. I also have a little 8ish year old Intel NUC computer under the TV used for streaming etc and that also fails the test.

Maybe by the time this laptop dies my current work one will become mine, solving the support issue.
yea my old desktop doesn't meet the hardware specs either. oh no.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

My poor wife. She has to go to the office for like 2 hours on Mondays to print stuff off. They gave her a temp desk, she no longer has a cube and that's fine. But the gal next to her wasn't wearing a mask yesterday. She really doesn't like this person, but didn't feel like it was her place to say anything. I know some places have medical exemptions, but seriously.

I told her if homegirl doesn't have to wear a mask, ask to be moved. The only thing on her desk is a docking station. I hate people.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Team Mac here for all my personal devices and much of my career (Mac w. GSuite plus whatever.) So much nicer to actually use. I only use Win 10 for gaming and my current role also is a Windows shop and doesn’t even give us any admin. It’s just painful tbh. Why can’t they stop fucking with office? Why are the fields for a meeting a different order to the fields for an email? Why have they moved the formatting tools around in every situation? Did they actually set out to make recent Excel hard to use?
There are various studies that show Macs are cheaper in the long run, but just the everyday lower blood pressure is worth it IMO.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
something something uncertain virus thing yadda yadda collapse of Chinese real estate market reverberations and worldwide destruction blah blah blah
Oh man, so many triggers, lol

My puts for the last few weeks have been cray cray. It wont last long though, inflation is too high and synthetics are waay out of wack with retail on the low. I figure a few weeks and it will correct, it has to actually.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Also on Team Mac, also have had all the similar experiences regarding longevity and reliability as previously stated. IMNSHO, Windows seems super bloated for an OS, and generally speaking (though there are exceptions) PC laptops are disposable at best. I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro that is still humming right along. It is on the newest version of MacOS that it can handle, and is just now starting to see some apps not be supported. Heck, I think it'll even run some version of Adobe Creative Cloud, if I wanted to. Given how long these Bad Larrys last and that every OS upgrade has been 'free' (don't you have to pay for new Windows versions?) and I really don't see the argument that they're overpriced as holding water.

I've been running a nice HP laptop since 2010. It has been flawless. It is a quality piece of hardware that just came with a clean windows install. We probably have had similar experiences, which is to say we didn't buy a piece of crap with a bunch of garbage installed on it. Apple has the advantage of being able to have full control of their products, they also don't offer anything lower end that the average schmuck can afford.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've been running a nice HP laptop since 2010. It has been flawless. It is a quality piece of hardware that just came with a clean windows install. We probably have had similar experiences, which is to say we didn't buy a piece of crap with a bunch of garbage installed on it. Apple has the advantage of being able to have full control of their products, they also don't offer anything lower end that the average schmuck can afford.
we went with an hp laptop this time around.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
2%? In real world/physical context, that means your dick is 1/16" shorter. Pookie.

I give zero fucks right now. If you're concerned about a 2% drop, in the Dow (which is a shitty index; use the SP500), you need to adjust you investments to your actual risk tolerance or suck up the fact that you are invested improperly to start with.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
2%? In real world/physical context, that means your dick is 1/16" shorter. Pookie.

I give zero fucks right now. If you're concerned about a 2% drop, in the Dow (which is a shitty index; use the SP500), you need to adjust you investments to your actual risk tolerance or suck up the fact that you are invested improperly to start with.

<sigh>

:D

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Got my booster shot yesterday. Feel like I got hit by a truck. :dead:

First two doses kicked my ass for 24 hours too.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Also: I have to reassemble the hub on my fat bike, before tomorrow or else I'm shafted into another hike. Hopefully all the springs and pawls are where I left them 8 months ago.... :ph34r:
Shocking: one spring is missing.

Also cannot get the God damn plastic seal pressed around the freehub and hub shell. Have done this lots of times on other Hope hubs, but this one seems rather off...

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I am with toshi 5.0 on the mac debate but I also do nothing but photo and video work. In defense of mac products I can say I never had a program, app or system crash and have some devices that are more than 10 years old and still function flawlessly.

I have one windows laptop for the sole purpose of tuning EFI, programming radios and updating my metal detectors and it has an issue or crash every-time I fire it up and it still needs updates every time i turn it on.
What software do you use for photo edits? I’ve used LR with windows for a good while and have always wondered if an Apple would make much of an improvement.