Quantcast

♌︎♓︎♏︎ Good Coffee Tuesday MGMT ♌︎♓︎♏︎

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yes but no. To make a usual process sound like something special, that is marketing from the coffee company.

If you want to discuss the science: I have the view that fermentation is always anaerobic. That the cells at the same time respire oxygen or there are oxic conditions that the cells don't take advantage of doesn't change the fact that the process in itself doesn't require oxygen, hence it is an anaerobic process. So I think aerobic fermentation is a pretty misguiding term.
It's not really a marketing term. The process of coffee fermentation is different to the way it's done usually. You may argue that they are using the term incorrectly but usually coffee is fermented using a different method and it results in a different taste. There are different fermentation processes and they have to be somehow differentiated.

Overall I'm not a chemist. I only know there are a few different fermentation methods, using different bacteria in different environments and lumping it together for the sake of science may sound good but bad if you want to get a specific taste. I could bet a lot of money you can easily see a taste difference between the way coffee is fermented regularly and anaerobic fermentation in a blind test even if you dont drink coffee because it tastes so much more like lactic bacteria fermented products.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yes but no. To make a usual process sound like something special, that is marketing from the coffee company.

If you want to discuss the science: I have the view that fermentation is always anaerobic. That the cells at the same time respire oxygen or there are oxic conditions that the cells don't take advantage of doesn't change the fact that the process in itself doesn't require oxygen, hence it is an anaerobic process. So I think aerobic fermentation is a pretty misguiding term.
More on the term from a coffee standpoint:

Here you will find a few different processing methods for Coffee beans:

Last edited: