Quantcast

✨✨✨ SparkleMotion Friday GMT ✨✨✨

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Very soggy friday.

Gotta sort out a clever way to compare contractor budgetary pricing for the new house renos. I have no skillz, and no time. Learning how to build a kitchen at night with two kids under 4 and wife that works shift work is simply beyond me. At least I'm smart enough to know my limitz...

What makes this tricky is that I have limited access to the house (due to people still living in it), so it's hard to nail down a precise scope. Ah well. I'm sure it'll work out. Amirite???

On a potentially related note, the HR folks are coming for a visit. I've been lead to believe that they are bringing some good news with them. I think I should prepare for disappointment.

Also, unsure how worried I should be about this...
I'd ask the owners for a full day of access so that you can get a couple contractors through it in a single day.
Don't stack them on top of each other and have an idea what you're looking for before they come (spend time there before with wifey to make a plan).

As for the bike, I wouldn't worry about it.
Mainly because it's not my bike, but I've had plenty of similar damage on my carbon frames and nothings come of it.
That looks like paint.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1) I like the Post Canyon bike trails, or at least I did about a dozen years ago.

2) Very robust poop this morning. Toto Washlet is great.

3) I've been showing a former co-worker around my current gig today and discussing what motivates us in the long term. He has apparently reached a point where altruism and a desire to help others' careers does it for him. I'm at far more of a base level now.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Positive note for today: Mother-in-law is here and can take care of Haley, so I'm not burning a vacation day. I've also started drinking coffee again. So nice. I actually go farther between wanting to eat as well, so less nibbling too.

Negative note for today: Mother-in-law is here.

Vented to my Mom again last night and I think that helped settle my isht down quite a bit, but the underlying issues are still there. Also received insight from a very wise individual who provided me with some truly removed advice/knowledge which has provided me with much needed insight and level headedness (not a word).

Had the opportunity to experience a textbook BMW driver today. During my commute I had a younger guy in a pretty beat up e36 M3 make a wild 3-lane change and placed himself less than a car length off my bumper. So close that I almost missed my exit because I was unable to slow down quick enough to get into the exit lane. Once I got over he proceeded to cut off another 4-5 cars before he went out of sight. Shockingly bad driver. Now I know why my kind are hated so much... At least I use blinkers most of the time.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Good morning, still. Working from home in the PJ's today... gonna ride me some dry dirt this afternoon. Might go on a ski date tomorrow, not sure if I wanna pay nearly $100 for a day pass since she skis where I don't have a pass. No dice on getting her to come to the area I ski, her kiddo is in ski class at her area all day.

Wow... those are really some "leaves in the pool again" sort of problems. I'm a douchebag. :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
going to funeral.......first time seeing some people in over 20 years...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
:wave:
On a friday? Somebodies getting fired!
That was the case the last time they turned up...

I'd ask the owners for a full day of access so that you can get a couple contractors through it in a single day.
Don't stack them on top of each other and have an idea what you're looking for before they come (spend time there before with wifey to make a plan).

Mainly because it's not my bike, but I've had plenty of similar damage on my carbon frames and nothings come of it.
That looks like paint.

Yeah. I'm hoping to get at least 4 hours. I'm told that a full day is pushing it. Fuck that...for what I paid??? I should be getting 8 hours of oral pleasures.

I've built up our list of needs and wants. I figure the better the scope description, the more comparable their quotes. If you have a bid form you could share, I would be most grateful...

As for the bike, given the above project, I figure this bike has to last me another few years... Gotta bust out the epoxy!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That looks like paint.
If that's a Yeti, that looks like 1/2 of the CF layers is gone. :nerd:

Riding is a mixed bag even on studs - we need moar chill.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Shit heel coworker just tried selling me down the river in a meeting. I didn't say anything. Will wait for the exit interview.:rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So you're going through all this hassle for in-laws?

Smart move, my wise-married friend, smart move... :D
Buddy of mine got sick of the MIL living with them. He bought the forclosed house across the street for her, charged her minimal rent with the caveat that the garage is his. He put all his garage stuff in her garage and set up a really nice bar/brew setup in his garage. :D

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ugh. I just closed out a trade that I was hoping to be long-term that went very much the wrong way and ate a 22% loss on it since early last year. Guess I didn't need that cash.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My mid-year review last year had me as "Moderately Effective" at meeting expectations - to which I retorted in my interview with my manager, "I guess that's fair since I have no idea what the expectations are."

I got a blank stare. And I still couldn't get any clear, coherent expectations. So started the slide...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Heh. There are several academic ranks. There's one below me. There are two above me (along with a mythical third that no one actually achieves). This is just their indication that I'll get promoted to the next rank sooner rather than later. I won't turn down a raise… :D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
We get rankings like that once a year and one thing I've learned along the way, no matter what your ranking is among peers, it's the bottom line the leads to profit sharing checks, raises and promotions.

GIVE ME MORE MONEY NOW @Toshi

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Our bonus is determined on section-wide performance. Everyone in the section gets (or misses) the same bonus components. Therefore, because some of my section mates were lazy last year and didn't publish then I and everyone else missed out on a good chunk of money.

This annual performance evaluation is only for my own future promotion purposes, and promotion/rank affects base salary but doesn't affect the bonus by one whit.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Our bonus is determined on section-wide performance. Everyone in the section gets (or misses) the same bonus components. Therefore, because some of my section mates were lazy last year and didn't publish then I and everyone else missed out on a good chunk of money.

This annual performance evaluation is only for my own future promotion purposes, and promotion/rank affects base salary but doesn't affect the bonus by one whit.
I continue to fail at academic medicine comprehension... while asking for more money you might want to see what they have in mind for better partners, if they are costing you money then they need to go. Gangland style.

I'd also benefit from a deeper understanding of why you are expected to publish so much.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
bonus...hahahaah...wtf is that? #nonprofitlife.

that said, i have "exceeded expectations" for years. i earned more $ when i took on more work. i've had a lot of opportunities to leave, but i picked this job based on a.) where i wanted to live; b.) professional freedom to mostly do whatever the eff i want that interests me, because i generally find the funding myself to make it happen; and c.) because i can get decent pay and rise to relatively high status within the institution without having too much ultimate responsibility. hence, why i stay.

/coolstory,curatorguy

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I continue to fail at academic medicine comprehension... while asking for more money you might want to see what they have in mind for better partners, if they are costing you money then they need to go. Gangland style.

I'd also benefit from a deeper understanding of why you are expected to publish so much.
In academics the expectation everywhere is to publish. Otherwise why be in academics? :D

The screws are being turned slowly on the non-producers. I don't expect any changes before, say, 3 years, though. We'll hit our bonus requirements for this year and at least ~80% of the total for the years thereafter so I'm ok with this.

that said, i have "exceeded expectations" for years. i earned more $ when i took on more work. i've had a lot of opportunities to leave, but i picked this job based on a.) where i wanted to live; b.) professional freedom to mostly do whatever the eff i want that interests me, because i generally find the funding myself to make it happen; and c.) because i can get decent pay and rise to relatively high status within the institution without having too much ultimate responsibility. hence, why i stay.

/coolstory,curatorguy
Those are good reasons, too. I could have made much more $$$ in private practice in some small town here or there. I chose here because I like Denver, Jessica likes it <-- key reason here, I like figuring out new stuff and writing about it, and I get ~1.5 days per week not on service, ostensibly for writing. No such luxuries in private practice.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

/coolstory,curatorguy
And you didn't even mention being encouraged with lunch beers. I think you win this one.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande

/coolstory,curatorguy
Years ago I was friends with a guy who was a fundraiser for the Seattle symphony. I'm not sure how he got paid but he seemed to do all right, his primary function was to connect patrons to projects. He never had office hours, took kid duty Monday through Friday, bicycled EVERY weekend. As far as I could tell he was making 6 figures just for knowing people who knew people.