Quantcast

⨗⨗Sunday Driver GMT⨗⨗

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Great day of DH yesterday
Short lines and 90° made for an awesome day outside.

A patroller gave us the OK to hit a not-yet opened area they're building out. Nothing but sweet berms linking rough, barely raked in loam sections through the trees.

We spent the whole afternoon rallying our own private bike park, and the three trails within it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
On the way to the ski resort for DH. Hitched a ride in a truck so that I don't have to blow through half a tank of gas to get there.

It is already hot as balls out.

Haven't pooped yet.

Forgot my Ridemonkey growler filled with ice and delicious water at home;derp derp.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
6AM on a Sunday seems a bit early... going on a trail ride this afternoon for my first ride with the new XC flats which appear to be super grippy.

Yesterday, while looking for my can of Park grease, I found and entire box of shoes that included a pair of Six Six Ones that I only wore once because of the huge mount of padding in the tongue. I bought them while living in Washington and decided shoes that did not dry out quickly were a bad plan. I don't ride in the rain anymore.

I still have about 20 boxes of crap from our move in 2008, they are labeled garage and I have no idea what is in them.

6AM on a Sunday seems a bit early... going on a trail ride this afternoon for my first ride with the new XC flats which appear to be super grippy.

Yesterday, while looking for my can of Park grease, I found and entire box of shoes that included a pair of Six Six Ones that I only wore once because of the huge mount of padding in the tongue. I bought them while living in Washington and decided shoes that did not dry out quickly were a bad plan. I don't ride in the rain anymore.

I still have about 20 boxes of crap from our move in 2008, they are labeled garage and I have no idea what is in them.
I just got a new pair of Shimano DX shoes. They provide stickers to seal cleat slots; I decided not to use them - when water gets in, I want it to run back out, not sit there making foot soup.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Fighting some kind of cold, so no ride today. Might call in sick tomorrow and ride then if I feel better....

The humidity and heat has been brutal these past few days. It feels like a tropical forest out there. So much so that they cancelled some races (2k and 5k) and moved others (10k and half marathon) this race weekend. The Kenyans and Ethiopians will have run by place about a half hour ago, and will be finishing (the marathon) up in about 30-40 minutes. Crazy.

New AC and furnace get installed in 9 days...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
fitting gmt title. woke up at 5:30 to drive from WV to Durham to rejoin fam for memorial day. had a blast riding snowshoe. can't believe i've never been before. will def return.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Granby is a blast! There used to be the GNAR there. They've toned it down a bit but it's still got the goods. I didn't realize they were open already!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Got hammered with old friends at a BBQ yesterday. Hard Lemonade and Jell-O shots, followed by live band karaoke. The host of the event is a touring pro drummer, so the musicianship was rock solid. Sleeping that off was great.

Worst part was waking up for a midnight pee and still being a bit buzzed, as the mouse who has been making noise in my walls decided to make a run for it and grazed my bare foot. I might've pissed myself but I'm not sure how to tell if it was different from what I was already engaged in.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The weather is beautiful, was expecting a shower between 2 and 3 but... no sign of that. The tire on my hardtail is only holding air for 12 hours, puncture is near the rim, not sure if I want to risk that, even so it will probably need more stans. The full squishy won't take my new pedals without spindle washers. 20 cents separates me from ultimate pedal victory.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
30 miles over 4 hours on the mtb today. I still feel good and could have ridden more. Pork sandwich was so tasty when I got home with 1.5 hour drive to get home. I deserve a beer

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I confess, I gave yet to put anything in the growler besides water, so far.

We got in 10 DH runs today. I don't care what anyone says, riding a trail bike on purpose built DH, sustained descents, sucks balls. Every time I had to brake, it felt like like my hands were going to vibrate to pieces and there is so much less control trying to keep up with dudes on DH bikes, through piles of roots.

Side note of the day; no flats with my EXO casing Maxxis tires, even with being a hack and hitting pretty much every rock in sight. Though I did pump the tubes up to about 30psi.

Only one crash to report. One of our dudes did a summersault through the rock filter at the start of a trail, after getting his pedal or chain guide hung up on said rock ledge. I think I might have pooped a little for the guy, as I was right behind him and watched the entire thing. No injuries, thankfully.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Might head to the mountains for first DH runs of the year.
Wife crushed it, she finally got to ride her festivus gift.

I hadn't been to Granby in a few years, just as sandy in spots as I remembered it. But perfect conditions and lots of fun.

Thanks @Sandwich for the setup and build tips and @CBJ for the jersey.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Wife crushed it, she finally got to ride her festivus gift.

I hadn't been to Granby in a few years, just as sandy in spots as I remembered it. But perfect conditions and lots of fun.

Thanks @Sandwich for the setup and build tips and @CBJ for the jersey.
Must spread rep for wife. Your wife seems pretty dang awesome.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Back from a 12 mile plus a few extra fun loops and a little over 2 hours of ride time, it felt like winning. The specialized xc flats performed very well, even though I clipped a half dozen rocks I recovered and did not crash once. That's winning for me. I'm also getting my legs back and was able to climb all but one hill even though some of them winded the hell out of me.

Boomslang pedals for my purpose will be fine, the grip is so good I actually missed the spd float for the first few miles, by the end of the ride I didn't miss it. Also didn't hamburger my shins so that's something too.

The front tire lost 10 lbs of pressure in 3 hours...

If anyone shops at Sam's Club - in the men's seasonal tables they have Zero Exposure hiking shorts for $25, I decided to pick up a couple pair because I noted they have a small amount of stretch in all directions and thought they would be cool for biking and they are. I've ridden the road bike and trail bikes and found these cheapies perform better than my drawer full of expensive purpose designed shorts. What I like: the back pocket holds my wallet secure, the upper front pockets are cut level and high so keys and other crap will not fall out, the cargo side pockets zip shut and are perfect for cell phones and other crap without flopping around on your thigh. My road spin is 85 and I don't feel the cut of these shorts hold me back.

http://static.amazon.com/Zero-Xposur-Active-Stretch-Assorted/dp/B00VJ6YIRK/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

They are not available on amazon but this is the same style as Sams Club, buy smaller than you normally wear.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Hit REI, Costco, and Sunrise Mountaineering today. A few toys for me and some outdoor clothing for her in preparation for going to Grand Teton National park in 7 weeks. Got a Bear can for the food, Bear spray, fish trough for measuring fish on the Kayak (avoids DFG ticket). tent repair continues, Yesterday I recoated 2/3 of the rainfly with new urethane waterproofing. Today I patched the hole were the heavy plastic window used to be on the tent fly door flap(Very useless and yellowed). I glued in a roughly shaped ripstop patch, once it dries I will trim it close to the needed size then finish gluing and sealing the edges into place

tent set up with the final patch trimmed and glued drying in the sun

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Rest day, no riding. Took my Dad grocery shopping. Saw what happens to women my age who got tramp stamps in college. Still hot, now with enhancements a la GFF.

Hoping to ride Kitsuma tomorrow if it doesn't rain. The Forest Service is closing Point Look Out for repairs starting Tuesday. This is the old gated road that goes back to the Kitsuma trailhead. The other way is longer, and with traffic.

Haven't ridden it in many years, hope it works out tomorrow.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Another 2hour ride in the books. Not quite as hot as Friday. But still close to 90. Good ride. Loving the spitfire more and more. Post ride beer, then pool time with the fam (all the milfs were out), followed by a margarita and Indian food.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Hoping to ride Kitsuma tomorrow if it doesn't rain. The Forest Service is closing Point Look Out for repairs starting Tuesday. This is the old gated road that goes back to the Kitsuma trailhead. The other way is longer, and with traffic.

Haven't ridden it in many years, hope it works out tomorrow.
Always a fun ride and nice to have the closed road to make the loop, definitely sucky having to mingle with traffic instead.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Took off at 5 PM Tokyo time on Sunday. Arrived in Denver at noon... on Sunday.

:aliens:

We had a bulkhead row so could use the plane's infant bassinet. Yuna, our 1 year old, didn't like it, of course. Mariko, our 3 year old, loved it and just squeaks under its 25 lb weight limit. Mariko slept in it for several hours, her feet occasionally poking out the far end. I ended up snuggling with Yuna on the floor of our 3-seat section to get her to snooze.

The good news is that all travel after this (1 + 3 year old + Japan) will be easier.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Hit REI, Costco, and Sunrise Mountaineering today. A few toys for me and some outdoor clothing for her in preparation for going to Grand Teton National park in 7 weeks. Got a Bear can for the food, Bear spray, fish trough for measuring fish on the Kayak (avoids DFG ticket). tent repair continues, Yesterday I recoated 2/3 of the rainfly with new urethane waterproofing. Today I patched the hole were the heavy plastic window used to be on the tent fly door flap(Very useless and yellowed). I glued in a roughly shaped ripstop patch, once it dries I will trim it close to the needed size then finish gluing and sealing the edges into place

tent set up with the final patch trimmed and glued drying in the sun

What is your itinerary for while you are here? getting up high at all?