Quantcast

(。. ◦) • Sunday GMT •(°_°)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Up since 2, so F it, making coffee.
Another windy day ahead, I should try and get out for a ride.

I need to get a new drill.
Makita? What say you?

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yo!

Fighting my internal dialogue to skip riding this morning. Its cold and crowded, but I only have the chance to ride once or so a week. I should probably do it anyway.

Makita? What say you?
Need it to do anything special? I'd tend to recommend either Mikwaukee or Dewalt before Makita.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Makita? What say you?
What battery pack are you on? I generally tend to stay on the same one, once I am on one.

Look at other tools you might be getting too. Are the Makita or Dewalt what you would want?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Cleaning the garage today as I can't seem to find a damn thing, so it's time.

I really like my Porter Cable 20v but I got the 3 piece kit.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Makita? What say you?
I've owned nothing but Makita's for 20+ years, and except in one case where the drill did not survive a drop on to concrete from up on top of a vertical stabilizer of an aircraft, they have only ever been replaced because buying a new batteries after years of almost daily use cost damn near as much as a whole new drill set. The newer impact drills and the li-po batteries are super nice. 9/10, have banged again several times.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Makita? What say you?
Need it to do anything special? I'd tend to recommend either Mikwaukee or Dewalt before Makita.
So I decided a few months ago to get a full cordless tool set, considering I've somehow lived nearly 5 decades without one. I asked the Baja team guys what they would recommend, noting that we have Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, and darn near every other brand in the shop and at everyone's personal bench or shop. They all said basically any of those three, and that anything else was essentially "lesser quality". I asked about Ryobi stuff, since it can be had for a fair amount cheaper and it's a brand that's been around forever. They were all like... "Meh. It's okay, the other brands are just like pro level, and Ryobi is like more for expert class."

Not being made of money, I Did My Own Research™ into the Ryobi stuff, and considering I'm not a pro that's gonna run these tools 8+ hours a day 5 days a week, it seemed like a really good value. I like that they are committed to their battery platform, and that even the brand new batteries will work in their 20+ year old tools. I liked that I could get a full set up for 1/2 the price of those other brands. And to be honest, I like the color.

I use the stuff at the shop all the time, the Dewalt/Makita/Milwaukee stuff that is. It's nice. It's maybe a touch smaller or lighter. It's not worth twice the price for me as a home improvement / van buildout guy. I really like my Ryobi stuff.

What battery pack are you on? I generally tend to stay on the same one, once I am on one.

Look at other tools you might be getting too. Are the Makita or Dewalt what you would want?
This right here makes some sense... a lot of it actually. If you have other tools already, staying on the same battery makes sense to me. 100%

I really like my Porter Cable 20v but I got the 3 piece kit.
My understanding is that for the typical home user, 18v is plenty. Unless you're doing something like removing lugnuts or other high-torque applications on the regular, 20v might be a bit overkill.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
What a productive morning so far! Let's recap...
  1. Slept in (until 6am, an entire hour!)
  2. Made coffee
  3. Cleaned the dishes and the kitchen
  4. Learned about flying squirrel eating habits (seriously, kinda fascinating)
  5. Dispensed power tool advice
That's it for me, I think I'll call it a day.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I've owned nothing but Makita's for 20+ years, and except in one case where the drill did not survive a drop on to concrete from up on top of a vertical stabilizer of an aircraft, they have only ever been replaced because buying a new batteries after years of almost daily use cost damn near as much as a whole new drill set. The newer impact drills and the li-po batteries are super nice. 9/10, have banged again several times.
Good info right here, longevity of these things is a factor for sure. Are they gonna last?

Much like carbon frame failure, plenty of horror stories can be found on Teh Internets® about each brand, I'm sure. But also plenty of stories, even on the "lesser" brands, where folks have had their drill/impact driver/skill saw/whatever for 30 years and all they've done is changed the battery.

Actually, most of the "failures" I read about when I Did My Own Research™ centered on batteries and battery life.

@Pesqueeb what's your hot take on brushed vs. brushless? And 18v vs 20v?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Considering your state of alertness, I feel like we should not only forgive you your wingding transgressions but also help rectify the situation. Perhaps either of the below examples could be added to this morning's GMT title, in tribute and solidarity to your lack of sleep?

☾★ (。. ◦)

(°_°)☽ ☆

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
OH SHIT HOMME D'PEAUX HAS A SPECIAL BUY ON THE CORDLESS RATCHET WRENCH I'VE BEEN EYEBALLING ZOMG LOL RATM BBQ!!!!11!1 one

One of the Baja team guys says this is his favorite tool at his shop, for when he's working on bikes and stuff like that. I can totally see it. The only thing is, I don't actually need the battery and charger, but the tool is $79 and the special buy is including the battery/charger for $89 all in. So... $10 for a spare battery and charger that works with all my stuff? Yes, please. Ordered. It'll be here Thursday.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Actually, most of the "failures" I read about when I Did My Own Research™ centered on batteries and battery life.

As you point out in your first post, really kind of depends on what you're application is. At least around here, 18v is pretty universal. With the impact driver, if you can't break out a screw with the 18v, the 20v isn't going to do shit either and you've most likely already ruined the screw. Brushless is nice, helps with battery life supposedly, and I've never run into any torque issues when drilling holes in most materials. I'm not sure you can even get a drill with brushes anymore, and even if you can, you have to put some serious miles on a drill to even worry about replacing them. I suppose super high torque applications probably still exist, if your drilling concrete or something, but we don't use anything like that around here so I couldn't really say.

Far as battery life, if I had to guess I'm averaging maybe 5 years on every set of batteries I've bought, and I use my drills regularly. Maybe not "daily drivers", but at least twice a week, and depending on what's broke, sometimes for hours at a stretch. The Li-po's charge in 30 minutes or so, usually good for two or 3 hours of heavy use.

Edit: Poked around on Makita's website a bit, seems they don't actually make the drill set I have any more, but this one is comparable.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You can't have too many batteries or chargers IMO. I almost got the Royobi setup, but the Porter Cable kit was cheaper. My portable table saw is Royobi and it's been awesome.

I did buy a newer wired jig and circular saw because trying to cut thick material was killing batteries. I made it almost half way around the 22x24 window cut out. :rofl:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So I decided a few months ago to get a full cordless tool set, considering I've somehow lived nearly 5 decades without one. I asked the Baja team guys what they would recommend, noting that we have Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, and darn near every other brand in the shop and at everyone's personal bench or shop. They all said basically any of those three, and that anything else was essentially "lesser quality". I asked about Ryobi stuff, since it can be had for a fair amount cheaper and it's a brand that's been around forever. They were all like... "Meh. It's okay, the other brands are just like pro level, and Ryobi is like more for expert class."

Not being made of money, I Did My Own Research™ into the Ryobi stuff, and considering I'm not a pro that's gonna run these tools 8+ hours a day 5 days a week, it seemed like a really good value. I like that they are committed to their battery platform, and that even the brand new batteries will work in their 20+ year old tools. I liked that I could get a full set up for 1/2 the price of those other brands. And to be honest, I like the color.

I use the stuff at the shop all the time, the Dewalt/Makita/Milwaukee stuff that is. It's nice. It's maybe a touch smaller or lighter. It's not worth twice the price for me as a home improvement / van buildout guy. I really like my Ryobi stuff.

This right here makes some sense... a lot of it actually. If you have other tools already, staying on the same battery makes sense to me. 100%

My understanding is that for the typical home user, 18v is plenty. Unless you're doing something like removing lugnuts or other high-torque applications on the regular, 20v might be a bit overkill.
Plug-in: Any brand; get the best for your need
Cordless: Pick your battery pack and stick with it.

I've historically run Craftsman 19.2v, and only had one drill fail. It was the one I was using when I hit a live wire that shouldn't have been there. I'm still running them and will continue until they all die, but it's not available anymore. I just switched over to Makita because my track saw is Makita. As I get new cordless, it will be Makita because of that reason. That being said most tools are more powerful, reliable, and cheaper when corded. My sanders, jig saw, etc are all corded. My nail gun is air hose and way more powerful and consistent than the Dewalt I borrowed for when I did baseboards initially.

As for ryobi: my impact drill is a corded ryobi because I needed it for one thing and it was inexpensive. It still struggled and damn near overheated for it's use, which was surprising. My table saw is an on-site. The gate won't hold steady and blade isn't mounted straight. There is a definite difference in the quality vs. them and the Makita/Dewalt stuff I've been using.

My general rule for power tools though is buy the cheap one first. If you wear it out, then buy a good one.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My old drill uses 12v batteries, so upgrading is happening. Looking at a makita combo at Homme DePohe.
Look at cheating and using HD financing for discount px, then paying off in full at eom.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
chillin w/coffee on the front patio. gray and misty. pancakes and bacon on tap, then a slow goof around ride.

wifebot is le sads b/c i am questioning the wiseness of our annual pre-xmas ski trip. am i being too cautious? when not skiing we pretty much stay in our room...so other than in hallways going in and out (where we'd wear masks, of course), pretty minimal interaction with / proximity to others, beyond lift lines, where we'd keep our distance...what says the monkey collective brain?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
chillin w/coffee on the front patio. gray and misty. pancakes and bacon on tap, then a slow goof around ride.

wifebot is le sads b/c i am questioning the wiseness of our annual pre-xmas ski trip. am i being too cautious? when not skiing we pretty much stay in our room...so other than in hallways going in and out (where we'd wear masks, of course), pretty minimal interaction with / proximity to others, beyond lift lines, where we'd keep our distance...what says the monkey collective brain?
Where is said ski trip taking place?

My risk tolerance would be: stay somewhere self-contained if possible, to avoid hallways and being on top of that many people. A condo, townhome, or house would be better than a hotel room IMO. Also a setup like this would make it possible to cook for yourselves, and avoid restaurants and that sorta stuff. Try for a smaller ski area if possible, less crowded, shorter lift lines, yadda yadda. Masks always, even outdoors, which is easy because it'll be colder. Skis give you a pretty natural distance from other humans, it's pretty easy to keep spread out when you're wearing a pair of 5' boards on your feet... just give it a couple extra feet between the tip n' tail and your good. Try and stick to lifts that have one or only a couple of lines funneling into the main line to avoid side-by-side contact.

Seems like it might be okay, but always watch the cases in the area and do that due dilligence.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

100%. Think big picture, and if you intend to get additional tools, make sure you buy into a system that is mature.

Ryobi is quite a bit better these days, and certainly more than adequate for the average homeowner. They also have lots of tools in their system now, so its definitely a decent budget option.

Good info right here, longevity of these things is a factor for sure. Are they gonna last?

Much like carbon frame failure, plenty of horror stories can be found on Teh Internets® about each brand, I'm sure. But also plenty of stories, even on the "lesser" brands, where folks have had their drill/impact driver/skill saw/whatever for 30 years and all they've done is changed the battery.

Brushless > brushed, both from a power consumption and longevity standpoint. Id tend to recommend brushless for the stuff you use a lot, but brushed is fine for those lesser used tools. Save a few bucks for batteries.

18V vs 20V is almost insignificant. Theres little a Dewalt 20V can do that a Milwaukee 18V can't, and vice versa.

Don't discount 12V systems however. Im bought into the Milwaukee M12 stuff and only really bust out the 20V tools if I'm driving a multitude of long decking screws, or drilling large diameter holes in metal/using hole saws. The 12V stuff has more than proven itself for a large number of tasks.

Keep in mind that whatever brand you get, make sure they are widespread. Dewalt is available in both HD, Lowes, Ace, etc, and you can get batteries at pretty much any store that sells tools, and they have lots of service centers around the country. Milwaukee too, minus being at Lowes.

Also, the Dewalt 20V inflator kicks ass. Can be run off a 20V battery, 12V cigarette plug, or 110V, and is perfect for inflating bike & car tires.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@I Are Baboon will be pleased to know we finished our Breaking Bad marathon by watching the final episode on Friday, wife enjoyed it having never watched it before. I then surprised her with El Camino last night which I'd not seen either. We both thought it was a good wrap up.

Not buying any power tools today, but we are wondering where to ride. Strong winds forecast again all day...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Where is said ski trip taking place?

My risk tolerance would be: stay somewhere self-contained if possible, to avoid hallways and being on top of that many people. A condo, townhome, or house would be better than a hotel room IMO. Also a setup like this would make it possible to cook for yourselves, and avoid restaurants and that sorta stuff. Try for a smaller ski area if possible, less crowded, shorter lift lines, yadda yadda. Masks always, even outdoors, which is easy because it'll be colder. Skis give you a pretty natural distance from other humans, it's pretty easy to keep spread out when you're wearing a pair of 5' boards on your feet... just give it a couple extra feet between the tip n' tail and your good. Try and stick to lifts that have one or only a couple of lines funneling into the main line to avoid side-by-side contact.

Seems like it might be okay, but always watch the cases in the area and do that due dilligence.
Remember, most hotels have an AC. Depending on how it circulates the air you might be at risk even when in your own room.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

I dunno about out your way, but there is no WAY I'd plan any ski "trip" type things for the foreseeable future.

It's a shitshow now and guaran-fuckin-teed to get worse with T'giving coming up...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Glad I rode yesterday, as it's freezing rain/drizzle here today. Slept like shit due to the shoulder, but this morning it feels about 50% better. What I felt in the front of my shoulder yesterday seems to be mostly around the shoulder blade today. Hopefully with a bit of rest, this will heal up on its own.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Remember, most hotels have an AC. Depending on how it circulates the air you might be at risk even when in your own room.
Also good to note, I should add that to the list of reasons I would stay in a condo/townhome sort of thing over a hotel: no shared HVAC system.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Went on a ride, 14 °C (57 °F) was just too good! Rode a place that I hadn't been to since the spring and holy shit, they managed to make the trails better. As much as I am against berms, they placed some at the right spots to carry speed but left other corners fairly natural. They use quite some gravel to surface sections of the trail (I heard this is required by the authorities for this area), but managed to make it still feel "natural". Seems like they mixed in soil and only used the gravel in areas where drainage is an issue. Also new red and black sections of trail were build with smaller features and some exposure (to a 30 feet deep ravine), that are pretty awesome. :banana:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Have a set of Ryobi's Sawsall, drill, jig saw. The batteries suck. two years max and they die. maybe the newer ones are better but I'm done with that brand.

Got another 9 hours of sleep. Man its nice not getting woken up by the wife on weekends to do projects. Espresso went down smooth. eats then watch the wife compete via live stream at 10:40 pacific. If you want go here and watch Gran Prix Arena https://deserthorsepark.com/watch-live/?fbclid=IwAR15ZLv1fJIOLOl5j0og0aaDah3FMWGUipFRNtZB9oThfqb6_7oKzXTwMBA

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
@I Are Baboon will be pleased to know we finished our Breaking Bad marathon by watching the final episode on Friday, wife enjoyed it having never watched it before. I then surprised her with El Camino last night which I'd not seen either. We both thought it was a good wrap up.

Not buying any power tools today, but we are wondering where to ride. Strong winds forecast again all day...
Have you done Better Call Saul?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Tacos and beer for post ride lunch.

Ran into a coworker while riding. He was riding solo, which was unusual. Turns out his usual riding buddy has teh rona.