Quantcast

《○○》Tuesday GMT《○○》

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Wing dings on my discount tablet do not impress, will have to create jelly by leaving work early to ride dirt down by the river. I should be at the trail by 3PM. Might be less of an asshole today but not making promises.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
FRIENDS!! Hi.

2400 yard masters swim before work which included all sorts of weird drills that make for slow going. Finished the workout with a straight 900 yard interval. I know, interesting stuff.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Running late this morning, ended up being 20 minutes late for my 3 month review. :rofl: Still managed to pull of a quick chat and update that was overall very good. I am not the problem child and could end up with both a bonus and a raise at the end of the year for good behavior. Or I could burn this bitch to the ground before then, guess we'll see how things shake out before my 6 month probation is up.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
careful they might catch teh autizms
I worry more about the mercury that is getting injected directly into them.

Fuck people are stupid.

:disgust1:

<snip> I am not the problem child and could end up with both a bonus and a raise at the end of the year for good behavior. Or I could burn this bitch to the ground before then, guess we'll see how things shake out before my 6 month probation is up.
Dude. Burning it to the ground would be worth WAY MORE than whatever paltry bonus/raise you might get. At least for your soul.

And in *completely* unrelated news - this is fucking cool: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/26/technology/self-driving-trucks-first-mission-a-beer-run.html

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
At least we'll have some form of intelligent life on this planet capable of making rational decisions not based on ancient statements made by a mythical being.
You sure about that?! Some would argue that the values we will code into the programming are laregely based on the judaeo-christian values that were handed down to us by a flaming bush in the middle east. or something like that.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
No word on whether new bike will arrive at the shop today yet. But at least all my "extras" are at the shop now: fenders, rack, and basket from the old bike. now I won't have to install all that garbage myself.

oh, and on the way back from the shop my eyes were violently assaulted by white flakes falling from the sky... and so it begins. sigh. time to get the fatbike in working order. :disgust:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Whelp, Europe trip turned into 3.5 days in LA. I've been trying to get together with @mandown for at least the last 3 trips out that way, but I didn't even get a chance to message him while we were there. It wasn't Paris, but we had fun anyway. Got screwed trying to fly home too, our flight was delayed almost 3 hours, got home at 2AM this morning.
You must spread reputation to at least 4 other user(s) before you can give reputation to Nick again.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
No word on whether new bike will arrive at the shop today yet. But at least all my "extras" are at the shop now: fenders, rack, and basket from the old bike. now I won't have to install all that garbage myself.

oh, and on the way back from the shop my eyes were violently assaulted by white flakes falling from the sky... and so it begins. sigh. time to get the fatbike in working order. :disgust:
I'm kind of a bit curious about fat bikes and their winter performance. What kind of trails are they suited to? Shallow powder over hardpack? Just hardpack that you could ride on a normal sized tire with studs? When and where do they excel?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
well, i got mine at the end of last season, so I don't have a whole ton of experience yet. It was a rental/demo bike that I picked up towards the end of the season. I'm on the east coast, with a climate and snowfall very similar to northern Vermont. Maybe a little less snow depth, but overall very similar. Our trails used to be used primarily for xc skiing. but temperature swings are becoming all too common now, with plenty of freeze-thaw cycles. I figure I'll take the fatbike out when the snow conditions aren't great for skiing. which is to say either too warm so that you'd have to use klister, or too hard to go out on the backcountry trails.

Of course, about 70% of my riding group has converted over to fatbikes now, with a few of them fervently hating xc skiing. So my theories of going biking when the skiing sucks will likely go out the window if the group is going biking and I'd have to ski alone.

to respond more precisely, I think fatbikes suck in powder. even in a dust on crust situation they won't be great (unless you're on a wide open field or ski slope and have room to "surf" around. but if you're on a tight trail trying to make a hard turn, forget about it. I would say they excel on hardpack, especially the kind of hardpack single track created by snowshoers, but they extend the "range" of the hardpack you can ride on. If it's too soft to ride with normal tires, the fatbikes usually will do well, so it doesn't have to be über perfect. My buddies last year rode pretty well every week, except for a few days of heavy snow fall. then they skiied. whereas I skiied on the good days, and mediocre days, but sat at home a lot more often than they did.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
:wave:

Whelp, Europe trip turned into 3.5 days in LA. I've been trying to get together with @mandown for at least the last 3 trips out that way, but I didn't even get a chance to message him while we were there. It wasn't Paris, but we had fun anyway. Got screwed trying to fly home too, our flight was delayed almost 3 hours, got home at 2AM this morning.

You must spread reputation to at least 4 other user(s) before you can give reputation to Nick again.

Dang. I might've crept from my crypt for a beverage. Of course, we'd probably rampage ourselves into grumpy gimpy shenanigans.