Quantcast

0.70 lb saved with ghetto tubeless

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Just got and '08 demo 7 II, and converted it yesterday. 1st time doing the tubeless thing.

total bike weight before: 41.25 lb.

- old tubes out.
- drilled rims for schraeder.
- 20" bmx tubes on and split down the middle.
- tires back on without levers.
- pumped up and sealed dry, perfectly, the first time.
- deflated and removed valve core.
- injected 2 scoops stan's, through the valve.
- core back in and re-inflated to 50psi.

total time: about 1 hour, working slowly and carefully.
30 hours later, psi has not changed.

total weight after: 40.55 lb.

Solid 0.70 of pure rotational weight lost.
Puts sub-40 easily into range.

With a total investment of 2 cheap tubes and 4 scoops of stans, this has got to be one of the most economical ways to save weight, plus it's rotational, plus it should reduce regular and pinch flats, plus it should improve traction.

Easy to undo in case of a flat, and just revert to a standard tube.

First test ride tomorrow! So stoked.

Anyone have serious problems with the system? Anyone run it but go back to tubes or switch to UST or anything? Any downsides at all?

Next time I might try this sealant instead:
http://www.effettomariposa.com/prodotti_en.html#caffelatex_en
http://www.cantitoeroad.com/landing-pages/caffelatex-tire-sealant.php

It foams up to fill inside the tire. Makes sense for sealing leaks near the rim, where normal sealant won't really be. Comments on that?

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
geez Steve, welcome to 4 years ago!

the only thing that has had me going back to tubes was a couple of incompatible tire/rim combos. I've gone to Stans strips instead of the tube method because it's easier if you're swapping tires around. I've never got the bmx tube method to work more than once. Although, there are advantages to the bmx tube way as well. If you dent the rim from the side, it often pushed the tire off the sealing area of the Stans strip, the tube method will usually conform around the dent and keep you going.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
yeah, I figured it was a one time use on the tube rimstrip. Using levers to take the tire off would likely damage the tube.

I'm more of the type that puts a tire on and runs it until it's dead, so it might suit me better.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
The only part that sounded sketchy to me was you got your tire on without levers. The only time that has worked with me ended in disaster. I had a tire rip right off the rim in a high speed corner. It really hurts you and your confidence in your gear when you rag doll through downed trees.

The only time i feel confident in a tubeless set up now is when it takes two of us to get the tire on the rim.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I was running the same ghetto setup but went back to a tube in my rear tire when I couldn't get it to reseal after refilling the goo. When I change tires I'll probably stick with tube in both. I never had a problem with the tubeless setup until I tried to refresh the goo and the problem was with a Maxxis DH (non-UST) HighRoller mounted on an MTX rim. The front is a DHF mounted on a Syncro DPS 36 (I think) rim and I haven't had any issues with it.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The only part that sounded sketchy to me was you got your tire on without levers. The only time that has worked with me ended in disaster. I had a tire rip right off the rim in a high speed corner. It really hurts you and your confidence in your gear when you rag doll through downed trees.

The only time i feel confident in a tubeless set up now is when it takes two of us to get the tire on the rim.
UST rims with UST tires so you can feel safe and comfy ;)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I never have to use tire levers. With ghetto tubeless, the tire lever will cut the "rim strip".
Stick with Stan's. It's proven, it works, and it's not all that expensive. I tried making my own and had no luck. Just not worth the trouble.

I would recommend not filling thru the valve core. The sealant makes the cores sticky and can cause issues.
Use presta tubes and add the sealant before you finish pull the tire bead onto the rim. This is easier than it sounds and eliminates the step of pulling the cores and using the syringe.

Edit: Also make sure you add about 5psi to whatever you were running before. Otherwise, you're rolling tires. The tires will feel the same, only faster.