Quantcast

0> Eliminate religion day <0

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Running a marathon, brb
A rough go of it today, which is not surprising at all since my training was completely derailed the past month. I ran 3:38, which is still in the top 13% and I am not about to complain about running a 3:38. It could have been much worse.

Food reload complete. It was just ok, as BBQ goes. The brisket was a little dry.

20231210_141346.jpg

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Woke up depressed for no reason. Gonna take the skis for a walk, then maybe knock out some resort laps. Hopefully fresh air and exercise will improve my mood.
Ski day one was a wild success. Snow was super good on the leg laps so we opted for more of that instead of skiing inbounds nonsense. Drank a delicious porter, ate some fries covered in green chili and cheese, showered, and am now petting a dog. Mood has improved greatly.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Went skiing again, a little better today than yesterday.

I can actually fucking see most of the time now, thanks to contacts.

1702256465265.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sounds terrifying.
Depth perception here is so shit in the snow with flat light. The slightest bit of fogging and it's just totally impossible to ski. Sometimes, it'll still be impossible. You literally cannot see what is 2 feet in front of you, because it all blends in and if there's a little snow-drift, you trip. Or sometimes when you are skiing and you stop, there's no definition so your brain things you are still going, then, when your brain realizes "oh shit, you stopped!" you instantly fall over as your balance over-reacts. I've struggled with this all for years. Sometimes mounting a laser on my helmet for depth-perception, but using glasses, you are just totally fucked. They fog just standing still, holding your breath. With OTG goggles and like 50mph, you can clear them out, but that doesn't happen enough to be reliable.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Depth perception here is so shit in the snow with flat light. The slightest bit of fogging and it's just totally impossible to ski. Sometimes, it'll still be impossible. You literally cannot see what is 2 feet in front of you, because it all blends in and if there's a little snow-drift, you trip. Or sometimes when you are skiing and you stop, there's no definition so your brain things you are still going, then, when your brain realizes "oh shit, you stopped!" you instantly fall over as your balance over-reacts. I've struggled with this all for years. Sometimes mounting a laser on my helmet for depth-perception, but using glasses, you are just totally fucked. They fog just standing still, holding your breath. With OTG goggles and like 50mph, you can clear them out, but that doesn't happen enough to be reliable.
Sounds terrifying.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Have to say. Air fried hotdogs were tasty. Homemade chili sauce and a fuckton of onions. If the dogs (Kayem Reds from Worcester) are good, then it doesn't matter if you cheap out on the rolls. No cheese also but still good.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Sounds terrifying.
it is

I was coming down the wall at Kirkwood and went into shit like that just above the cliff bands on the left. Stopped immediately as did 10 others. We were 10-20 yards above the cliff bands and could not see the chutes. A Patroller coming up behind us in the moguls ate shit then made it over to us. We told him we knew we were right above the cliffs. he couldn't see either and got on his radio and shut down both the wall and cornice chairs. Using his GPS he led everyone left until we hit the trees away from the cliff bands. Would have been a lot of fucked up skiiers if we didn't know the mountain really well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
it is

I was coming down the wall at Kirkwood and went into shit like that just above the cliff bands on the left. Stopped immediately as did 10 others. We were 10-20 yards above the cliff bands and could not see the chutes. A Patroller coming up behind us in the moguls ate shit then made it over to us. We told him we knew we were right above the cliffs. he couldn't see either and got on his radio and shut down both the wall and cornice chairs. Using his GPS he led everyone left until we hit the trees away from the cliff bands. Would have been a lot of fucked up skiiers if we didn't know the mountain really well.
I had to use Gaia to get down a season or two ago, on my phone. Checking the app and pointing my phone in the direction I think I should go. I have my back-up fly-casting neon rope I can attach to one of my poles so I can "cast" a turn, where I can see the rope and make a turn. But when the shit hits the fan and gets real, that's how I have to get down a mountain, one "cast" turn at time. Used Gaia to avoid the cliffs.

Last spring I got some nice runs in during a storm where my roller-balls would roll down past me and I could use them for the visual reference to turn.

Everyone thinks the skiing must be so great in Alaska because "snow", but it's shit most of the time because you can't see.

I've been on "The Wall" many times. Kirkwood had some of my favorite chutes because it was steep enough to make sierra cement fun with the shit skis we had at the times.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I haven't take advantage of these really ridiculous prices, as all vehicles are full and we don't really drive anywhere. :D
go skiing and burn a tank! gas futures are low anyway so prices shall remain low for a while.