Quantcast

> 0 < Wednesday > 0 <

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
RAW IT NAO
i'm entertaining the idea of eventually replacing my 26" megatrail with a 27.5 version. current fork is 275, so aside from the frame i'd just need wheels/tires and everything else would swap over. obviously i'd be after the alloy version, and it would go raw if it wasn't already.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
RAW IT NAO
That's what I'm doing.....kinda. After talking to a couple good bike painting/powdercoating places, they both highly advised against doing so. Instead I'm going with a matte silver/light grey that will give the somewhat appearance of the raw finish, unless you're up close. But this way it will eliminate the maintenance or redo needed over time due to poor clear coat adhesion.

Besides, with the ground or bondo'd welds the YT's have, a lot of the appeal of raw (seeing the welds) is lost anyhow.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's what I'm doing.....kinda. After talking to a couple good bike painting/powdercoating places, they both highly advised against doing so. Instead I'm going with a matte silver/light grey that will give the somewhat appearance of the raw finish, unless you're up close. But this way it will eliminate the maintenance or redo needed over time due to poor clear coat adhesion.

Besides, with the ground or bondo'd welds the YT's have, a lot of the appeal of raw (seeing the welds) is lost anyhow.
The first frame I ever did was Bman's Hoffman. It was powder blue, so we stripped it clean and I shot it with nickel metal flake clear. It looked so pimp. It didn't have the weld discoloration anymore, but still looked amazing butt nekkid.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
After talking to a couple good bike painting/powdercoating places, they both highly advised against doing so. Instead I'm going with a matte silver/light grey that will give the somewhat appearance of the raw finish, unless you're up close. But this way it will eliminate the maintenance or redo needed over time due to poor clear coat adhesion.
alu technically doesn't need a clear coat.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Yea....don't feel like polishing it once a year, or letting it look like shit with oxidation.

But thanks for teaching me about metals!!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I ordered "stainless" work benches for work a few weeks ago.....when they came in, the tops were ~20ga stainless, but the legs and bottom shelf were spray painted a faux stainless:rofl:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
hrmf. when rawed my uzzi it was fine for years. i liked the dull look, but if i ever wanted it to be a bit shinier a little bit scotchbrite was all it took. also liked never worrying about scratching the paint, etc.

hardest paint to remove was on my old sc jackal. shit must've been 1/8" thick...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I ordered "stainless" work benches for work a few weeks ago.....when they came in, the tops were ~20ga stainless, but the legs and bottom shelf were spray painted a faux stainless:rofl:
I still remember Professor Cobb telling us the story of how he was called into a defense contractor to help them solve a problem with bolts breaking in the drivetrain of their vehicles. They did a full design analysis and walk through of the manufacturing process. Eventually they started destructive testing the hardware, and realized that the bolts they were using failed far sooner than one would expect for grade 10.9. Further digging revealed that the Chinese supplier was stamping the heads with 10.9 markings and dashes, cause they had no idea it wasn't just a cosmetic declaration.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I have a couple of raw frames and they do not change much. The polished Socom needs some touch up work every once in a while, but nothing major thanks to this protective car wax stuff I put on it. After all, paint is just unnecessary weight.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I still remember Professor Cobb telling us the story of how he was called into a defense contractor to help them solve a problem with bolts breaking in the drivetrain of their vehicles. They did a full design analysis and walk through of the manufacturing process. Eventually they started destructive testing the hardware, and realized that the bolts they were using failed far sooner than one would expect for grade 10.9. Further digging revealed that the Chinese supplier was stamping the heads with 10.9 markings and dashes, cause they had no idea it wasn't just a cosmetic declaration.
I remember that story too.

And what it took to change the oil filter on his Lotus.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My Turner Burner trail bike is 8 years old and raw alu, no issues with how it looks and nothing to worry about scratching.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
sounds about right for chinese mnfg