Quantcast

> 0 < Wednesday > 0 <

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Still feeling a bit clammy. Got suspicious of the testing place so I drove by it on my way home last night. It’s a tiny little store front with a lobby that I would have to go into. Then drove by another one that is owned by Novant and it looks like they are set up for drive by testing. So I canceled the original appointment and will hone in on a drive by site.

Around here test results take 7-10 days to come back. We’re over 7 months into this and an autopsy is still faster than Covid testing. USA go bigly super strong winning...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Speaking of teaching about metals, I blow so many minds when I tell people that it's called stainless steel for a reason. It can still corrode.
It depends on the alloy and preparation. You can passivate stainless which essentially removes all the iron near the surface of the metal, which should make it pretty damn corrosion resistant.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It did 3+ years in the NE at the start of its life.

I've never had any issues though, nor with the raw DHR I had too.

My old Turner has oxidation bubbles forming from underneath the powder coating. I assume sweat worked it's way in through scratches and wreaked havock. Raw probably would have been better.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Another good vacation day today. I went for a run this morning then did some shit around the house. I had lunch with mom, which was nice since the woman ain't gonna be around forever. And Wife and I just got home from an 8 mile ride followed by ice cream.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
It depends on the alloy and preparation. You can passivate stainless which essentially removes all the iron near the surface of the metal, which should make it pretty damn corrosion resistant.
Oooh, cool. I use a similar technique with precious metals called depletion guilding to create a gold or silver rich surface.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
hell i live in the humid-ass south and no issues with raw. just suck it up and do it! it's a fun project and looks badass. you can always get it repainted later if you don't like it.
>edit< just look at it in all its filthy, unpolished glory!
8CC8D764-1994-4C77-A73A-33A187EE6E46_zpsirlmdbki.jpg

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Oooh, cool. I use a similar technique with precious metals called depletion guilding to create a gold or silver rich surface.
Cool, from what I understand it is a simple electrolytic process, an acid solution withan electric current.

We used to pay a pretty penny for the process to make things safe for pharmaceutical production, but it looked like something I could do in my basement.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Cool, from what I understand it is a simple electrolytic process, an acid solution withan electric current.

We used to pay a pretty penny for the process to make things safe for pharmaceutical production, but it looked like something I could do in my basement.
Sort of right. It’s done by heating the workpiece with a torch to build up a layer of oxide which is then removed by pickling. Pickle is a dry granular acid dissolved in hot water. Jewelry suppliers sell fancy, expensive pickle pots but we just use old crock pots from the early 80s found for a couple bucks at a thrift shop.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mmm yes, I still remember the smell of the passivation room at an old employer.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001

From around my 'hood but not my photo. Majestic smoke rolling in.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Mixed surface bike ride to drop off my ballot this evening. Nice to get out for a solo pedal, at night with the lights, and do some civic duty.