Quantcast

'02 DHR good for FR today?

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Just a fun post here more than serious...

I loved my '02 DHR to death. The suspension setup was very progressive and great for dropping. I lost count of how many loading docks mine handled. It also pedalled pretty nice, even without any sort of platform shock technology. It was sure beefy, my medium was 12+ pounds. Never really heard of many breakage issues, even after multiple seasons of abuse.

I know what you're thinking, "Just wait a bit for the Highline" you say. That frame sounds like fun, but it's going to push $2000. Well...I was just searching around bored last night, and came across several '02 DHR's for the jaw-dropping price of ~$600! Got me thinking, damn that bike would rip with a PUSHed Vanilla RC, 7" fork, single-ply FR/trail tires, smaller chainring + wide-range cassette, and overall a medium-light build up. For me, I'd love to see a 170mm Marzocchi 66 single crown on that bad boy! If I took the kit off my RFX the DHR/66 combo would come in at 39-40 pounds.

Am I the only one who thinks that could be fun? Maybe it's just the vicodin talking. :rolleyes:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Bulldog said:
Am I the only one who thinks that could be fun? Maybe it's just the vicodin talking. :rolleyes:
Hell no. The first time I rode one of those bikes at northstar all I could think was that it sucked for a dh bike but would rock as a lighter duty freeride rig. Short wheelbase, not a lot of travel but good with what it had........and then came the foes fly..........................An 02 dhr with a different paintjob and front derailleur mount.

$600 you say?

go for it!

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
Thats basically how i ride my DHR, since there are no serious dh tracks around here, id say jump on one of those deals! It might not be the perfect "freeride" machine, but i have fun riding anything on mine :)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
keep in mind that it has a low BB and a somewhat steep headtube angle with a 7" fork.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The low BB is the only thing that would give me pause...but coupled with a small (36t?) chainring and E-13 Guide (maybe you can find an STS for the ultimate ground clearance?), it'd probably be a lot of fun. Personally, I like low BBs anyhow. 11-34 cassette, 6-7" fork, etc.

However, would it be any better than your RFX? I doubt it'd be significantly better, and maybe even worse, unless you're talking a shuttle-only bike. I think the desire for something different here is taking precedence over what's most logical. But since you said it's a fun post only, well, build it in your vicodin-addled mind!

MD

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Jm_ said:
keep in mind that it has a low BB and a somewhat steep headtube angle with a 7" fork.
which both make it my greatest bike ever. Mine & Jeremy R's '02 DHR's are still being ridden/raced this year. We've seen both. I miss my '02 and it makes me smile everytime I see the guy riding it! But some dark eveil inside talks to me and tells me to whack him over the head and run with it.... :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ViolentVolante said:
a couple of guys i know use em for their northshore FR bikes and love em to death. Id say go for it, and at $600 its practically free :thumb:
Great Lakes North Shore probably doesn't need a very high BB, does it?

MD

XpeteX

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
Oslo, No(r)way
I've been running an '02 for "shuttle" assisted freeride (us lazy Norwegians have a subway/tram service all the way up to the trailhead :p ) and wussy-style Nat'l Cup series downhill racing all year and I totally love this thing! and after I saw the 66 in person at a local trade show yesterday I'm confident this is the way to go for me next year. (if I don't decide on the "new" all black shiver :drool: )