Quantcast

03 Dorado or Mojo'ed Boxxer?

JTN

Chimp
Feb 15, 2002
Norway
I can choose between a 03 Dorado (like new) and sell my Boxxer, or keep it and buy the Mojo kit.
What should I do? Prices will be fairly the same, maybe even a little cheaper with the Dorado.
I mostly ride/race downhill, and also some jumping. No stupid hucking to flat etc...

Help...?

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
JTN said:
I can choose between a 03 Dorado (like new) and sell my Boxxer, or keep it and buy the Mojo kit.
What should I do? Prices will be fairly the same, maybe even a little cheaper with the Dorado.
I mostly ride/race downhill, and also some jumping. No stupid hucking to flat etc...

Help...?

DORADO all the way !

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
JTN said:

Help...?

DORADO :devil: ...super smooth !!!

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
There hasn't been much talk about Mojo lately. There used to be thread upon thread about mojo boxxers a few months ago. Then we had Push, push, push, DHX, DHX, DHX.... Funny how this place works.

-dAn

B

bighitfsr

Well if you weigh less than 160lbs mojo the boxxers.
Dorado's arent that strong (my house mate cavedeller killed his).
Mojo's work well for lighter riders, they dont have a spring thats stiff enough for a 180+lb rider IMO.

Dorado Vs Mojo Boxxer for riders 160lbs and under:

Stiffness: equal
Durability: boxxers (except for the seals which are cheap)
Weight: boxxers, but the mojo wont save much over stock boxxers if you run max oil height.
Damping: pretty close mojo lacks external compression adjustment but are more progressive if you run max oil height. The Dorado is can be custom valved if you know what your doing.

My other housemate has some mojo'ed 03 boxxer races, he's 180lbs runs the mojo spring and max oil height in both legs and wouldnt want the fork to be any softer. Its fine for him but it would be too soft for a heavier rider.

If you are a heavier rider a possible fix for the lack of a heavier spring is to install the u-turn kit from the 05 boxxer ride.

Anyone know if the Mojo fits the 05 boxxer race in the 8 inch mode?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
bighitfsr said:
Well if you weigh less than 160lbs mojo the boxxers.
Dorado's arent that strong (my house mate cavedeller killed his).
Mojo's work well for lighter riders, they dont have a spring thats stiff enough for a 180+lb rider IMO.

Dorado Vs Mojo Boxxer for riders 160lbs and under:

Stiffness: equal
Durability: boxxers (except for the seals which are cheap)
Weight: boxxers, but the mojo wont save much over stock boxxers if you run max oil height.
Damping: pretty close mojo lacks external compression adjustment but are more progressive if you run max oil height. The Dorado is can be custom valved if you know what your doing.

My other housemate has some mojo'ed 03 boxxer races, he's 180lbs runs the mojo spring and max oil height in both legs and wouldnt want the fork to be any softer. Its fine for him but it would be too soft for a heavier rider.

If you are a heavier rider a possible fix for the lack of a heavier spring is to install the u-turn kit from the 05 boxxer ride.

Anyone know if the Mojo fits the 05 boxxer race in the 8 inch mode?
Actually the Mojo cartridge does have compression adjustment, the adjuster on the Mojo cartridge adjusts both rebound and compression via some wacky IFP design that Porter worked out. The G2 Mojo cartridge is a completely different animal than the g1 cartridge that your friend has. For one thing it is completely rebuildable by the end user. As far as it not being suitable for heavier riders... I only use 3 turns from full-fast on the adjuster for the G2. There are 12 additonal turns there. I love my Mojo cartridge, and Mojo's customer service is absolutely unbelievable. (and it's compatible with the 8" Boxxer!)

Lejk

Chimp
Jun 3, 2002
Umea
SuspectDevice said:
Actually the Mojo cartridge does have compression adjustment, the adjuster on the Mojo cartridge adjusts both rebound and compression via some wacky IFP design that Porter worked out. The G2 Mojo cartridge is a completely different animal than the g1 cartridge that your friend has. For one thing it is completely rebuildable by the end user. As far as it not being suitable for heavier riders... I only use 3 turns from full-fast on the adjuster for the G2. There are 12 additonal turns there. I love my Mojo cartridge, and Mojo's customer service is absolutely unbelievable. (and it's compatible with the 8" Boxxer!)
When did this new cartridge come out? I bought mine in early April this year and running with the recommended oil height. Me I run it three clicks from fully slow, all according to the recommendations by the Mojo guys. It's so cool, the fork looks and fells super-slow when bouncing around on the parkinglot, but out in the woods it somehow never ramp up, it is super smooth without bobbing all over the place :thumb:

I've only tried the Dorado once and it felt really nice, not on the level with my Mojo-Boxxer. But it's not fair to compare a custom-valved fork with a "stock-fork". I'm sure that I could have fine tuned the Dorado to feel much better (right spring and so on) and a custom-vavling would most ceartainly done wonders to the fork.

I must also note that I've also hade my Vanilla RC custom valved by Mojo and this has really boosted the performance of my -02 bighit. I haven't tried annother bike so far that has the same balanced feel between the fork and rear shock that my bike has. I hope that Mojo will be able to work their magic on the new DHX shock, thats the only thing that could convince me to change bike :love:

Bottom line: If you can get a custom-valved fork at the same price as a stock-fork, get the custom valved. The guys at Mojo knows their stuff and if you are a racer, your new Mojo-boxxer will give you an extra edge.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have not read any real live test of the ID cartridges but the idea sounds interesting here in the US as an alternative. I was just looking on the Stratos website and one thing is info on the inertia valve but there is nothing on the quality of the suspension once it activated.

Lejk

Chimp
Jun 3, 2002
Umea
SuspectDevice said:
I had an issue with my G1 cartridge and Mojo sent me one of the new cartridges in September. Peachy.
That was really nice of them, that is also a very go reason for going Mojo, they have a very good customer service. When I was going to install my Mojo-kit I got the wrong spacers (my fault for not telling them that I had a early -03 Boxxer race). I got them three days later after mailing them and I live in northern parts of Sweden :thumb:

What would you say is the biggest difference between the G1 and the G2? Is yours tuned for freeride or DH-racing? Mine is for DH-racing, interesed to know how big the difference is between the different set-ups..

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
Kevin said:
Id definitly buy a dorado, but if your gonna get your boXXers tuned send m to Tim Flooks. This guy can work magic on boXXers.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/home.htm
I don't understand what this guy can do to a boxxer. They are so simple It's not like he can do a lot. I come from racing formula fords and 2000 and know about tuning complex shocks. I just don't see what more this guy can do other then oil levels, using the right spring and changing the plastic vlv too aluminum on the comp side and drilling out the hole on the rebound side. I can understand the average joe that knows nothing about the intricacy of a fork. I can totaly see him tuning a fox or a 888. All I'm saying is I can't justify spending money on something that is so simple and that I can do my self, But on the other hand I would really like to get my hands on that mOjO kit.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
well from experience with Tim Flooks your fork will come back working really well, however it'll then give up the ghost just as quickly as it ever did!

On the mojo g1/g2 discussion, the g2 seems to be more lively than the first one. The low speed comp has been upped a bit as before it could get a bit rediculous and my fork always felt like it was working deep into its travel. In terms of looks, the old one looks like it was knoecked together in someones shed compared to the new one. (p.s. yes i've had both)

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
so out of all you guys that have this mojo kit, Is it worth it, and does anyone want to sell there kit.