Quantcast

'03 Kona Stinky Dee Lux or '03 Ironhorse SGS DH Pro

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
I'm looking at both these bikes used. I could use some opinions on the SGS. Seems like a pretty heavy bike for someone who is 5'4 and 135#. I don't plan on taking either off of any crazy drops just general DH at Snowshoe and Wintergreen. The Stinky is $1280 and the SGS is $1000.

Thanks

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Snowshoe is gonna beat up the bike more than crazy drops would :D

Are you looking for a full on DH rig, or somthing that you can pedal as well? If you are only going to be doing lift assisted and shuttle rides, go for the SGS. If you are going to be pedaling around trails or anything, go for the Stinky.

If Dan were still around, he could give you much more insight on the SGS, but he has seemed to dissapear. You also will probably get better results if you post this in the DH forum ;)

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
sgs man I rode one at snowshoe ant it was nicer than the kona stinky I war riding I would say better cornering, stability, and its good for the money. I would say go for it man and the sgs looks cooler ha

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Snowshoe won't beat your bike up if you get used to it. I suprisingly didn't break much or hurt my bike to much this past summer once i got used to riding the stuff daily. Drops screw my bike up more.

With that said go with the SGS and drill a whole on the frame higher up so u can slack and loewr that bb RACER BOY STYLEZ

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I don't care what you say, riding at snowshoe beats up your bike! You may not have broken too much this season, but i'm sure stuff has been rattled around and weakened.

But hey man, thats what its all about, just keep riding! :D

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
The IH will be best for both racing and general fr. The kona is more suited for fr. Just see what you're looking to get out of the bike and make your choice.

Just keep your bike tuned up and you'll be fine riding at Snowshoe.

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
Im going to have to say the sgs IH im not that big of a fan of the old konas and that sgs looks to be much more componeted out. and again it looks way cooler yeah and its better for dh-ing

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
mobius said:
Snowshoe won't beat your bike up if you get used to it. I suprisingly didn't break much or hurt my bike to much this past summer once i got used to riding the stuff daily. Drops screw my bike up more.
everyone already knows drops to flat screw your bike up more Mobius.

i guess it was your BODY, not your bike that took up most of the beatings from Snowshoe. wait....how many times did you ride in an ambulance? :eek: :evil:

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Here's the parts list for the SGS.

Frame: 2003, Small Ironhorse SGS DH Pro (green with black decals)
Fork: Rock Shox Boxxer, 7" of travel
Rear Shock: Progressive 5th Element ( 8.75 x 2.75 I believe)
Brakes: Avid Mechanical AD 1.0L Disc Brakes & Shifters with 8" rotors
Front Wheel: is a WTB Laser Disc DH Rim & Hub with a 2.7 Michelin Wildgripper(?) Tire
Rear Wheel: is a Sun Rhino Lyte 24" rim with a Maxxis 2.8 HighRoller Tire and the Rear hub is the heavy duty one that came with the bike.
Seat: Azonic Hot Seat
SeatPost: Azonic
Seatpost clamp: Salsa flip lock
Pedals: Platforms
Cranks & BB: VDrive Xtreeme 165mm DH cranks
Rear Der.: Shimano Deore & shifter
Rear Cassette: 8 speed shimano
Other: E-Thirteen Chain guide; Easton E50 Bars; Cane Creek One Point Five Headset
Intense grips w/ODI Lock-ons

el_gordo

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
DC (Da Capital)
Another vote for the IH.
I've got a 2004 SGS I've been riding at Snowshoe for the past couple of summers and for me it rocks. I ride the DH side of the mountain more than the park side, so no 'crazy drops' (although I still go through a rear derailleur every couple of trips). It has pretty much sucked up anything that I am capable of riding, and I weigh in at 220lbs.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Nice bike you will enjoy it. One thing you may want to keep an eye on is the brakes. I have heard that you should not use avid mechanicals for DH. There are some plastic parts on the inside that can heat up and start to melt on long DH runs and may sieze up the brakes. I was looking at getting some mechanicals for my bike last summer and was strongly advised not to get them for DH. Just my .02 you may have great luck with them. Just keep an eye on them. Again awsome bike hope you enjoy it.

Dennis