Quantcast

03 Manitou Dorado DH-dc not 180mm travel?

bikerjett

Chimp
Mar 11, 2008
Hamilton, NJ
Hey guys, I just bought an '05 Dirtworks Piranha with the 03 Dorado DH dual crown fork on it. It's advertised as having 180mm travel. I was only able to measure seal to axleblock 165mm. When I took the axle out, I was able to pull the RH (damping) leg out to 190mm with a firm stop.
With the spring stack out of the LH leg, I could compress it to within 2mm of the seal, but only pull the leg out to 165mm, with a springy stop, due to a TOPOUT spring. I took it apart,and there it is, a 37mm long green spring,making sure when the fork extends under its own energy, it has a cushy stop. As for bottoming out, there is only a cone shaped piece of rubber. (not counting the springs).
Has anyone out there who paid $$ for these forks actually verified the amount of travel for their dollar? I called Manitou/Answer, there is no definite answer, no Exploded View of Parts, no Specs.
PLease HELP!!
Noob

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hey guys, I just bought an '05 Dirtworks Piranha with the 03 Dorado DH dual crown fork on it. It's advertised as having 180mm travel. I was only able to measure seal to axleblock 165mm. When I took the axle out, I was able to pull the RH (damping) leg out to 190mm with a firm stop.
With the spring stack out of the LH leg, I could compress it to within 2mm of the seal, but only pull the leg out to 165mm, with a springy stop, due to a TOPOUT spring. I took it apart,and there it is, a 37mm long green spring,making sure when the fork extends under its own energy, it has a cushy stop. As for bottoming out, there is only a cone shaped piece of rubber. (not counting the springs).
Has anyone out there who paid $$ for these forks actually verified the amount of travel for their dollar? I called Manitou/Answer, there is no definite answer, no Exploded View of Parts, no Specs.
PLease HELP!!
Noob
I believe they were originally 170mm of travel with 10mm of negative travel.