Quantcast

04 DHR shock optoins

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
Since my romics rebound has died and Romic has not returned calls as promised.. I was wondering what other optoins I have? Has anyone had any success running an avy or any other type of shock since the PUSH ones arn't aviaible to the public?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
push IS available to the public, it's just that you need a fox chassi(body) to do it, they gut it and use all their own parts and damping-mechs, so it may look the same, but it is far from a fox when they get done.

If a foxRC will fit in there, you could use one and have it modified by push.

Evidently they are working on their own shock, but if you really need something in the interm (and as good as they are you might want to keep it for longer) the Push fox RC will work as long as the fox fits in the frame.

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
I was refering to the push external revisoir shocks on the turner team. Not the Fox RC modded ones. Plus I dont think fox makes one that fits the frame.
Originally posted by Jm_
push IS available to the public, it's just that you need a fox chassi(body) to do it, they gut it and use all their own parts and damping-mechs, so it may look the same, but it is far from a fox when they get done.

If a foxRC will fit in there, you could use one and have it modified by push.

Evidently they are working on their own shock, but if you really need something in the interm (and as good as they are you might want to keep it for longer) the Push fox RC will work as long as the fox fits in the frame.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Acadian
unless you can get your hands on one of those Fox with external res. they had..don't think it was ever released tho.
plus they were like 10x cooler too.:D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Hrelp
Since my romics rebound has died and Romic has not returned calls as promised.. I was wondering what other optoins I have? Has anyone had any success running an avy or any other type of shock since the PUSH ones arn't aviaible to the public?
Wanna buy another romic? Having a backup DH shock is pretty necessary for just this kind of thing, regardless of brand.

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
Hmm buy another romic and have to wait/pay for shipping to get it fixed? Or buy a avy and have any motoshop service it locally. Not really a hard choice if you ask me. Just was curious what other optoins/results there are.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by kidwoo
Am I the only one that thinks hoses sticking out on bikes, usually fastened with even more zipties looks like crap?
Yes, if you weren't such a stupid head you'd realize that ANYTHING with zipties looks frickin awesome :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hmm buy another romic and have to wait/pay for shipping to get it fixed? Or buy a avy and have any motoshop service it locally. Not really a hard choice if you ask me. Just was curious what other optoins/results there are.
okey dokey

but that IS one of the options:D

Seriously though, I've had my own issues with Romic but it's never been from lack of service. They are busy folks right now. But even this time of year, I never had to wait more than a week for a turnaround. Just ask for Smitty (if he's not still injured) or Jimmy and say all you need is an RA#. That's all you need if you haven't sent it in yet.

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
I have an RA# They told me they would call me and ship it back out same day if i was in a rush..... Well it's been there 2 days with me calling and leaving messages and i have yet to get a call back.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have an RA# They told me they would call me and ship it back out same day if i was in a rush..... Well it's been there 2 days with me calling and leaving messages and i have yet to get a call back.
So they have the shock now?

If so, you may get it before you think. I spent two days calling the weekend before a race cursing their ancestors for not getting a call back as well but got the shock back. I'm not defending them but to put it bluntly, they are a 20 person operation operating with 10 people. They are busy. If you haven't mailed it but have an RA #, get it out. If they have it, keep calling. You're not the only one who would like to see them get their act together on the communication end of things. Just for reference, check some of the discussion on avalanche

Small companies are often the busiest per employee. Romic and avy both seem to suffer from some of the same issues. Both are capable of making a very good product though.......sometimes worth the BS, sometimes not. Seems like avy puts out the more respected product but I've never once been talked down to by anyone at Romic. Just some thoughts.........

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by kidwoo
Both are capable of making a very good product though.......sometimes worth the BS, sometimes not. Seems like avy puts out the more respected product but I've never once been talked down to by anyone at Romic. Just some thoughts.........
well....a flawed design is still a flawed design, no matter how good the customer service is.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Jm_
well....a flawed design is still a flawed design, no matter how good the customer service is.

I don't think their design is flawed as much as it is rushed. I've ridden these things on 3 bikes of my own and a few team turner bikes that a friend of mine rides. When they are done right and patiently, I think they are some of the best shocks out there. I don't however believe that everything they send out falls into this category.

Your broken shaft picture is quite scary, but it's also not a consistent problem associated with romic, at least not as far as I know. Blown knob seals, sticky seals, rough strokes after only a few rides are from my experience. I've said it before but I really do believe they are really good shocks when assembled with care............like on pro team bikes. I went through 3 rebuilds riding less and not as fast as one of the honda/turner guys I know who needed none. Priorites for sure.

Just for the record, I've got one in my possesion right now that have worked flawlessly and consistently after a "winter time" rebuild. The jobs I had done last summer barely lasted a month.