Quantcast

'04 super-t... stupid nut design

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The nut at the bottom of the lowers is in a hole. It extends above the hole, but that part is round. There isn't enough clearance for a standard socket. Is there some special socket to remove it?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You can get the special socket from Marzocchi, but we still had to grind it down to fit a POS OEM fork.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Pat, dont waste your money on the Marzocchi socket, go down to your local Autoparts store, buy a cheap ass 12 1/4 in drive socket, grind down the outside a bit and there you go. Like Sanjuro said, you will probably need to grind the Marz socket a bit anyways. I have two of them down at the shop ready to go, even the Tech guy from Marzocchi told me to do this.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah thats what it was, want to hear something more fun..... My top caps on the 66 use a cassette tool!!!

And no, the designer wasnt hi.... well maybe he was..... But there are sockets out there that will fit, The matco truck has a set of Super thingwall sockets, and the 12mm is about 50 bucks. And the one I ground down was about two and a half

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The real trick is I had to use an impact wrench to remove and install the nut from a freespinning cartridge.

Genius. Pure genius.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
The real trick is I had to use an impact wrench to remove and install the nut from a freespinning cartridge.

Genius. Pure genius.
Ha, I was having issues like that tonight. The sealiong oring was sticking to teh cartridge!!!! I got lucky with mine though, Mine is an ETA fork, so I locked it down before I took the rebound/compression side apart.

Oh, and on this fork they were smart enough to go away from that damn recessed nutt deal!!!!