Quantcast

'05 any info, what bike?

BiG WaVe

Chimp
Sep 5, 2001
AZ
Needs some insider info or thoughts on what bikes might be coming out for '05. Yeah I know Interbike is almost here, I'm betting somebody's got some '05 product catalogs or info coming into shops by now.

My riding has changed from DH to more trailriding over the last year. I'm on a 39lb, '04 bullit w/ Progressive/Slider+SPV. I like the benefits of 7" travel F/R, and the stiffness of a single pivot, and uninterupted seat tube.

I'd like to lighten up, keep 6-7" travel, move away from single pivot (keep it stiff) and get a more trailride friendly bike.

Anybody have crystal ball info on something coming down the pipe that will work?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
BiG WaVe said:
Needs some insider info or thoughts on what bikes might be coming out for '05. Yeah I know Interbike is almost here, I'm betting somebody's got some '05 product catalogs or info coming into shops by now.

My riding has changed from DH to more trailriding over the last year. I'm on a 39lb, '04 bullit w/ Progressive/Slider+SPV. I like the benefits of 7" travel F/R, and the stiffness of a single pivot, and uninterupted seat tube.

I'd like to lighten up, keep 6-7" travel, move away from single pivot (keep it stiff) and get a more trailride friendly bike.

Anybody have crystal ball info on something coming down the pipe that will work?
i heard they were going to make a bullit.

Take a look at the Specialized '05 thread, the Cannondale '05 Thread, All the threads about the new 66s and Fox 36. Tons of stuff coming out in '05 that will probably fit the bill.

Me, I personally couldn't wait so I opted for the Bullit-esque NOS 2002 Gemini. I'm in the market for a fork, though so I'll definitely be eyeing a Fox 36 or zocchi 66.

trailpoacher

Chimp
Aug 19, 2004
Australia
I think looking at any FS other than a single pivot for XC, DH, or FR is asking for trouble. but thats just me speaking from 10 years of racing mountain bikes across the USA and in the Australian outback.

How about a Heckler with the same parts spec that you have now?
Im sure you can run a Slider + spv on a Heckler with great results.

thats what I would do if I were you :drool:

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
trailpoacher said:
I think looking at any FS other than a single pivot for XC, DH, or FR is asking for trouble. but thats just me speaking from 10 years of racing mountain bikes across the USA and in the Australian outback.
Not that I don't like single pivots, but what is wrong with the other suspension designs out there? Hmmm. Single pivots will always have chainstay length (PDC Racing), chain torque, brake jack, etc... issues that can only be solved with pulleys (ala BB7), Floaters, etc. They do have stiffness and simplicity going for them though. I like single pivots, and my next bike will probably be a Foes Fly, but just wondering, what do you have against every other suspension design out there?

trailpoacher

Chimp
Aug 19, 2004
Australia
I have had absolutely no luck with bikes with more than 1 pivot in all cycling disciplines.

My last FS pivot bike (VPP design) developed half-an-inch of up-and-down and side-to-side looseness. Even a rebuild couldnt hold it together more than a weekend. Ended up spending 3 hours per weekend swapping out links and using a bearing press.

I went back to single pivot
and probably saved 140 hours in time spent working on bikes this season.
now all I do is wash my bike and change tires. what a relief.
After 10 years of dhrace I still am not sure what 'brake jack' means even though I have ridden 3 different monopivot frames.

If brake jack means that your bike 'hops' sideways going hot into rough and tight corners than I like brake jack!

I'm not really that hard on equipment (front shocks, wheels, rear suspension)
but I might be a bit biased because I am hard on frames and swingarms and tend to crack or kill them.

That is why I think that FS linkage bikes are good for sponsored pros,
women and small children.