Quantcast

05' BigHit FSR--26" Rear Wheel?

effinewguy

Chimp
Nov 14, 2005
PB, CA
I am the FNG around here and I need some experienced advice. I have had my BigHit for about 2 months now and I want to put a 26" wheel on the rear. Has anyone had any experience w/ changing the rear wheel size on the bighit?

How many kids w/ ADD does it take to change a lightbulb?
Hey, do you wanna go ride a bike?!

Thanks
FNG

I was going to. untill I spoke to my shops rep.
He himself had done it and severly regretted it."waste of $300" in order to get the head angle right you will need to put a supermonster on the front or shorten the rear shock. the BB is too tall and you run the risk of breaking the front triangle. For another arguement talk to PooMan.

effinewguy

Chimp
Nov 14, 2005
PB, CA
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I'm looking at putting a swinger 6 way on the back and a 888RC on the front to bring the bike to par. I'm not trying to run into problems. I'm sure there are other great tires out there that come in 24" besides the minions DH.

FNG

ps--I thought CO was being overrun by Texans. That's all I ran into when I visited back in 2000.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
effinewguy said:
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I'm looking at putting a swinger 6 way on the back and a 888RC on the front to bring the bike to par. I'm not trying to run into problems. I'm sure there are other great tires out there that come in 24" besides the minions DH.
I think you mean 24" Highrollers instead of Minions ?

I have the BETD 26" seatstay on my Large Bighit.
I switched the Fox RC for a shorter 5th (8.5 / 2.5" stroke)
So my travel was going from 8.9" to 8", my HA was a little slacker and the BB a little lower.
You can compare the geo with the 8.5" shock with the standard 24" version with an 8.75" shock...
Except for the chainstay (17.8") and the wheelbase (46.6").

I couldn't get used to the 'longer' feel of the bike and it felt slow and heavy in sharp-medium turns,
it's harder to manual and the bike feels 'unbalanced' in technical sections.
After 8 months I wanted to try the original 24" seatstay with a 24" rear wheel again.
The low(er) BB, slack HA, shorter chainstay and less travel have more benefits for me than
the 8.9" travel and the 26" wheel.
So I keep the 24" for now.

But the 26" seatstay also has benefits, especially on high speed courses with big berms and brutal rock gardens and stutter bumps.
So I keep the BETD seatsay for that kind of courses. It's a super easy 10-15min job to switch the CS's.

I don't know if I should recommend it, but keep in mind that the longer CS and WB change the 'feeling' of the bike.

PS. A 26" rearwheel with a Maxxis Larssen TT 1.95 fits in the 24" seatstay with some mud clearance, I use it that way
for endurance training on easy XC trails ;)

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I had a Bighit for a while and had trouble finding smaller sized tires. Most 24" tires are either street/BMX or giant knobbies.

If you have some $$, maybe you could upgrade to a 06 Bighit that comes with two 26" wheels like a normal bike. I hear they're really nice.

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
what are you doing messing with the old bighit, sell it and get the 06 bighit theyre sooo sick, 1lb lighter than demo 8 frame, air shock ability, suspension is squating which is good for steep stuff, suspension is more linear than demo, demo is more soft of top and ramps up, both good depends on pref., exact same geo as demo 8, i am running one next year in semi pro instead of demo 8, you should get one