Quantcast

'05 Boxxer springs: steel vs ti

WSU DH'er

Monkey
Nov 28, 2003
Fayetteville, NC
Hey monkeys,

I need some help, I just got a set of "ti" springs off a monkey, I'm not sure if they are ti or not. What is the best way to tell, phisical or visual differences between ti and steel.

I'm not going to say who I got them from because he has been easy to work with, and I don't want to tant his name as we have talked and if they are not ti he will refund my money and I'll send the springs back.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
I bought a Ti spring from Salami on here, great seller, anyhow the Ti springs look slightly smaller/shorter and it should feel considerably lighter in your hand compared to a steel if you have one to test. If I remember correctly they are a slightly lighter shade of gray but Im not sure since its in my fork

WSU DH'er

Monkey
Nov 28, 2003
Fayetteville, NC
MOTODH said:
slightly smaller/shorter and it should feel considerably lighter in your hand compared to a steel
Why would the ti springs be shorter? I would think they would be the same length.

The weight difference is noticable enough to feel in your hand? I don't have a scale on hand.

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
At the flat part of the spring where it will sit flush with the top cap, file some of the paint off of both. drip some water on them and let them set over night. I assume that if the steel spring is just plain old steel it will rust some, I've seen chains go orange with rust in just one night of neglect after wet rides. Ti will not corrode in any amount of time compared to the steel. Hopefully both will not corrode, just one. Also, if they are the same stiffness (within a reasonable margin) and have very different weights, they are going to be made of different materials.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
WSU DH'er said:
Why would the ti springs be shorter? I would think they would be the same length.

The weight difference is noticable enough to feel in your hand? I don't have a scale on hand.

not sure why but they are definitly a slight bit shorter, and yes the weight difference is noticable

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
You are correct Ti is not magnetic.The reason they might be shorter is that Ti can handle higher stress levels therefore they can use less coils(or what is proper to say less active coils and a smaller wire diameter to achieve a given rate compared to steel)and retain the same travel also reducing weight.But will the fork sit lower?They would need to make them the same length or use some sort of spacer to acommadate the difference in length.

WSU DH'er

Monkey
Nov 28, 2003
Fayetteville, NC
DHRracer said:
They would need to make them the same length or use some sort of spacer to acommadate the difference in length.

Thats what I was thinking when he said that too, I can understand having less winds in the spring vs steel but the overall length I would assume would be the same.

Thanks for confirming the mangetic or not as well, the springs I got are definately not ti then. Oh well back to origional owner and on with my search for springs for my boxxer.