Quantcast

'05 Cane Creek Double Barrell Shock

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I talked to Herndon last week and he's got to do some runs on it and said it was pretty impressive. He said it din't feel right in a parking lot but that on a trail it was great. Something to the effect that it seemed soft and slow in a parking lot, but when rolling it was a completely different animal.

He said Ryan Taylor pointed at the rear of his Demo 8 and the thing was actually moving when going over pieces of gravel in a parking lot! Anyway...here are some nice shiny's....and the link to the info on their site.

http://www.canecreek.com/site/product/shocks/01_db.html

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
um, doesn;t look like a 5th element to me.
spherical bears and large ass compression knobs

though the double barrel name is kinda of weak

i test one for them...

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
hmm, the blurb mentioned hi and low speed compression damping adjustments (well, indirectly at least), but no mention of a split hi/low speed rebound damping adjustment like it was claimed on the Interbike release.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
zedro said:
its true, they both do look like rear shocks....
:p
Must be a conspiracy... My buddy's Fox looks like a rear shock too!

Maybe all rear shocks are actually the same! :think:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
oly said:
I like the sperical berings... Why dont more shock makers do this? (besides cost) .
Cost. ;)

You (or a machine shop) can press sperical bearings into your existing shock. They're not too expensive, even from McMaster-Carr. I had the formula team at my old school running them in both Fox RCs and 5Es on their race car.

I'm a cane creek fan, and an ohlins fan (hopefully they learned some lessons from noleen), so I'm looking forward to this guy. I wish they'd made the adjustment knobs finger friendly though. I don't want to have to whip out a wrench to tweak the thing if I don't have to.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
CBJ said:
So it has passed the parking lot test :)
actually he said it was the Bennett Gap shuttle test. Said he went right at a downed wheel size tree during one run and rear wheel smacked it intentionally just trying to jack himself off and said it sucked it up...kinda freaky to hear him describe it.

The parking lot test thing...he sounded dead serious when he said it was rolling across a gravel parking lot and actuating over pieces of gravel....oooooohhhh!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ViolentVolante said:
bizutch- are you guys going to be riding these for next season
looks doubltful. Just talked to Cane Creek and they are only going to have the piggyback version ready come spring. They may have a remote reservoir one later but probably not for us to run in time.

We are going to be on the DHX with a remote reservoir for '05. :thumb:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
ohio said:
Cost. ;)

You (or a machine shop) can press sperical bearings into your existing shock. They're not too expensive, even from McMaster-Carr. I had the formula team at my old school running them in both Fox RCs and 5Es on their race car.
Hm...... interesting.... may have to try this.....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
buildyourown said:
D,
I have the appropiate press. I'll get some for my DHR and we can do everybodies.
T- when i get the DHX back for the spot we should start looking into this. I'd like to at least have one at the linkage side of the shock.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
ohio said:
Cost. ;)

Sorry to butt in...

I'm running a DHR and the linkage side bushing on my Romic lasts about 2 rides before developing play. Would a spherical bearing eliminate the slop?

Thanks.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
The first shot looks like a double barrel shotgun so the name fits but I thought firearm references were only for Tomacs. Any word on pricing and availability?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
W4S said:
Sorry to butt in...

I'm running a DHR and the linkage side bushing on my Romic lasts about 2 rides before developing play. Would a spherical bearing eliminate the slop?

Thanks.
Lots of reasons that may happen... a spherical may help if the wear is resulting from a mis-aligned linkage. Generally Turners are very well aligned though, so it's probably worthwhile to have them check it out first before you start messing with machine work.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
ohio said:
Cost. ;)

I'm a cane creek fan, and an ohlins fan (hopefully they learned some lessons from noleen), so I'm looking forward to this guy. I wish they'd made the adjustment knobs finger friendly though. I don't want to have to whip out a wrench to tweak the thing if I don't have to.
I have SID's on my SAE car, thats right, MY SAE car, it sick. ME and my buddy ben deicided we didnt want to wait till college to build and sae car, so we built one in high school. Tope speed so far... 110 mph, with rebuilt blown SID's from a number of Giant NRS warranties. 5e's would be nice though, but not on a 3g budget.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
In an application such as a racecar, wouldn't you prefer a non-platform shock.
I understand that lots of low speed compression would be good to prevent body roll, but wouldn't the very firm platform of a 5e cause you to loose small bump compliance.
Isn't keeping the tires in contact with the ground and getting the HP to the ground what race cars are all about?

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Dude if i had a 204 with a double barrel on it that would be SICK!!

Progressive air shocks have spherical bearings that fit intoFox/5th,romic,etc.The inside dia is smaller though and the axle may bend so i wouldn't reccomend it on bikes with wide axles(M1),but on a DHR it would work out great!
Progressive said that their distributers sell them now and they sell mt kits too_Obviously they don't have a DHR specific mt kit but with a little homework it could be made to fit.That narrow link mount is probably a common XC width,and uses a 6mm bolt too(like most XC bikes do)

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
buildyourown said:
In an application such as a racecar, wouldn't you prefer a non-platform shock.
I understand that lots of low speed compression would be good to prevent body roll, but wouldn't the very firm platform of a 5e cause you to loose small bump compliance.
Isn't keeping the tires in contact with the ground and getting the HP to the ground what race cars are all about?
I don't want to derail the thread, but in short you're correct. The 5E's ended up being a poor choice for the application. With low chamber pressure they were supple, but they were too inconsistent from one shock to the next and couldn't be rebuilt on site. When you need to balance 4 shocks to match, that is a major issue.