Quantcast

'05 demo8, top hole for lower shock bolt, what does it do?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I just figured out why my '05 66 felt so stiff and looked shorter than everyone elses.....it was set at 150mm. so tonight i swapped the spacers around and got it up to 170mm, but now, it's a good inch taller than my old super T. so will putting the lower rear shock bolt through the upper hole (haha...that sounds so cool to say ;) ) help steepen my HA back to what i was used to w/ the superT?

thanks in advance for the opinions/info.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Top Hole: Steeper/higher BB

Bottom Hole: Slacker/lower BB

Get used to it in the bottom hole I say. If you raise the BB even more (the fork would have raised it already) your BB will be really high. Get some lower-rise bars to offset the height difference on the fork and you'll have slack, a low BB, and a low front end.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Top Hole: Steeper/higher BB

Bottom Hole: Slacker/lower BB

Get used to it in the bottom hole I say. If you raise the BB even more (the fork would have raised it already) your BB will be really high. Get some lower-rise bars to offset the height difference on the fork and you'll have slack, a low BB, and a low front end.
my h-bars are already lower than they were with the superT because i'm using a short stack stem that only has one spacer under it to accomodate the short steertube that came on the 66. i think it may even out or be just a little taller at the h-bar level but the angle my fork is raked out at just looks funny from the cockpit.
i guess i'll try it in both just to see if the higher bb and steeper HA is worth it.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm with bicyclist - for anything DH oriented the low/slack position is the go. The taller fork would have raised your BB as is, no need to make it any higher. You'll learn to deal with the slacker HA just fine, try lowrise bars if you haven't already - well worth it for tall frontends.

If it's for FR / skinnies or general mucking around, then the steep position won't be too bad. Not my pick personally.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i'll look into some low-rise bars but as you can see from these pics, i've already lowered it significantly just by changing stems.

now (fork set at lower 150mm travel in this pic)

at least an inch higher with the dual crown

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was going to mention something like that but I have a standing rule not to drag wives and kids into jokes about dudes whose forarms are bigger than my leg.