Quantcast

05 Dirt Jam Pro vs. 04 Dirt Jumper III

Dirt Jumper

Chimp
Sep 6, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Ok, a friend of mine who doesn't bike anymore (gave it up for motocross) wants to sell me his Dirt Jumper III, ODI Lock-on grips, and 2.4 Maxxis Holy Rollers (also, better than Kenda K-Rads?) for a total of $100! Yeah, all for $100.

My question is, my bike came with the 2005 Dirt Jam Pro fork, which is 100mm of travel. The Dirt Jumper III fork is 120mm of travel.
Will this drasticlly change the geometry of my bike?
Is the Dirt Jumper III a better fork than the Dirt Jam Pro?
Is it worth it?

Are the Holy Rollers a better choice than the K-Rads?
Thanks a LOT for your help, RideMonkey. You guys have already solved numerous problems for me. Greatly Appreciated!

aznfreerdr08

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Concord, CA
well, the dj3 is a bit on the heavy side, and it will adjust your geometry a bit, but the dirt jam blows. its a ****ty fork and the dj3 far surpasses it. what year is the dj?

Dirt Jumper

Chimp
Sep 6, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Um. A 2004, like it says in the title. But that's cool. I don't care about the weight, I hear the Dirt Jam Pro is just slightly less heavy than the DJ3, so I'm not worried about weight.

About the bike's geometry? What will physiclly change? More likely to shoot me more vertical in the air?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
It will affect the geometry. It will slacken the head tube making the steering slightly slower, and fractionally raise the BB which you may or may not like.

However it is a simple simple fix to alter the travel on the DJ3. If you can change the forks on your bike and you have a half decent tool kit you can do it. You can buy a kit from Marzocchi. Search this forum for more details.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Dirt Jumper said:
More likely to shoot me more vertical in the air?
Not really, you'll be fine. Like I said the Geometry will change, but you're not making a ridiculous change by any means. You're moving well within a range of angles that many people would count as 'normal'. This isn't going to make your bike a chopper or anything.