Quantcast

05' Giant Reign 2 to Freeride Bike

MTBXRacing

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Hyde Park, NY
I have a 2005 Giant Reign 2 that I would like to turn into a freeride bike, can anyone give some advice on whats needed or their experience with the mods if already done.
The only upgrades I have are:
WTB MotoRaptor Tires 2.4 Front & Rear
WTB Power V DH Seat
Thx,
-Dave

Attachments

Beef Cake

Chimp
Apr 22, 2007
Sand box FL.
Well the way it is would be fine for 8fters and light dhing .
I would first get rid of that stem then the wheels then cranks then the shock , oops i forgot to see what fork you got .
I just think "what would be realy bad if it failed" .

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I say get rid of the long stem and get a shorter one...everything else on there is pretty good stuff overall.

I know guys who can do light freeride on XC bikes, but a few things will make it easier.

If you want, the wheels, but I wouldnt rush on that since I doubt you'll be doing anything to big on that bike...just watch the true-ness of them.

And lose the tool bag. They fall off, and get all tangled, and cause problems when jumping/dropping.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
get a fork with a 20mm threw axle, = new front wheel, get wider rim, while your at it get a matching rear rim. easier to rail corners with stiffer front end and wheels, and of course get a short stem 50-70mm range. you also might want some stronger h-bars.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
o damn, you could make that thing such a fun freerider. stem, wheels, cranks, and fork would need replacing if you really start getting into it, but for now, just grab a shorter stem and get that fork in the longest setting possible. i'd say get a 50mm stem, but if the frame is a little short, then 70mm will be better. keep in mind, you'll have more control over the front wheel and more ability to get over the front when climbing if you have a 70mm stem. here's for later upgrades if you get serious: with wheels, look for something you can beat on severely because if you're just starting out, you'll have a few very rough landings. maybe get a set of mavic deetraks if you can find them for cheap. cranks are pretty easy to get, you could go with shimano saint, hone or even xt, but if you want the best bang for your buck, i recommend looking at fsa's gravity lineup, particularly the gap cranks. fork wise, it could void the warranty, but you might be able to grab a marzocchi 66 for a good price, they are on sale quite often. otherwise, i'd say bigger front brake rotor, but everything else seems pretty solid.

MTBXRacing

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Hyde Park, NY
This is the stem I am planning to get.
Race Face Diabolus Stem 2007
Rise: 10 Degrees
Stack Height: 40mm
Handlebar Clamp Diameter: 1 1/8"
Steer Clamp Diameter: 25.4mm, 31.8mm
Weight: 250grams
Material: 6061-T6 al
Color: Bad Ass Black
The following sizes are aval:
25.4mm/50mm
25.4mm/70mm

So what would be the best size to go with for my bike and still have good control with some climbing strength?

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Wow!
That thing looks sick with the urban camo rims.
What kind of brakes are you running?

The only further suggestion I have would be to look into a different rear shock. I'm not sure how long the Swinger Air will last.

MTBXRacing

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Hyde Park, NY
Yes you are correct the seatpost was turned reverse in the picture right after the Maverick Speedbal Seat post was installed, it has since been turned correctly.

MTBXRacing

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Hyde Park, NY
Ok the low down is:
Marzocchi 07 66 RV ETA OEM Fork 160mm
Sun Ringle MTX Grey Camo Rims
Blackspire Big Ring Protector (3 rings)
Hope Pro 2 Hubs frt & rear
Sram PG 991 Chain
Sram PG 990 Cassette
Atom Lab 12-10mm axle adapter
Straitline Brake Levers
WTB Power V DH Seat
Kenda Nevegal Sticky-E Tires 2.35
Avid Codes with 7" Rotors frt 7 rear
Crank Brothers 5050 xx pedals
Straitline Brake Levers
Heim 3 Ring Chain Guide
Alligator Shifter Cables
Maverick Speedball Seat Post

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
That bike will not accept any shocks with a piggy-back resevoir or any coil shock, Fox Rp23 air is what I would do.....

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
As far as i know a Vanilla R will fit in there with no problem, and from my experience the Reign doesn't require a platform shock. It will feel a lot plusher with a coil shock in there, totally worth the weight gain in my opinion.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Sorry i meant the old Vanilla (i think it's the 06) that comes without a piggy back. It was definitely available in 7.875 x 2.0.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
I think your right but if I remember correctly that is the ONLY coil that will fit. U can probably grab one u-ber cheap and than send it to Push if your not happy. As previously mentioned, you don't need much of a platform on the Maestro bikes, they pedal really well already.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I'm not 100% sure, they have it in the correct i2i length, but from Fox's 2007 page (it's still up on their site) i was under the impression that the vanilla r always came with the external reservoir. You should probably just call them up and see if the picture is accurate, if it is you should be fine.