Quantcast

'05 Mavic Deemax rear wheel Spoke Problem

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
I don't know what's causing the rear spokes (usually 3-4 spokes) to pop out of the hub. This is a 135mm hub with the solid axle. This same wheel has had this spoke issue on a full suspension bike and now is happening on a hard tail used for DJ's and 4x.

The LBS has no answers and they say it has been built to shimano's drivetrain specs ?? whatever that means.

The wheel has even been back to Mavic (by the LBS) in an attempt to confirm that the LBS is not missing something. Mavic said everything looks good. Still, last week, several spokes are now pop'd out of the hub.

I have a thought to pack that black, high-temp silicone in each spoke slot on the hub so that the end of the spoke is "kinda" bonded into positon. Hopefully the spoke will stay put when whatever is causeing the spoke to un-tention enought to pop out.

Any thoughts??? I'm thinking ive got an odd ball wheel. I have never heard of this issue here in RM.

Thanks,

Joel

zstyle_22

Monkey
Jan 1, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
It pretty much depends on what riding you are doing at the time. Anything that can make that part of the wheel loose tension suddenly (i.e. stop turns, casing, skate park riding). I've had a couple pair of deemax's and only had this problem once.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
if its still happening, Mavic should replace that. thats just not right.
this is on your bro's bike right?

if it were yours i'd say loose weight...

:)

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
A friend of mine was practicing 180's and popped 3 spokes loose from his Dee Max'es too. I think it's a bad design. If the rim gets suficiently loaded it will release the spokes from the hub. You don't have this problem with a standard hub.

I guess you could try to put small zip ties on the spoke crossings.

Mike

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
my brother is relatively light, 165 pounds, and very smooth and non-abusive. Im pretty disappointed with the Deemax wheels. Zip ties are a thought.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hadley hubs, deemax rims. 823s..
lighter then deemax and work better.
good luck old one