Quantcast

05 Mavic EX 823's - verdict.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
IT'S CALLED THE SEARCH FUNCTION NOOOB!

;)

I read somewhere on here that they were holding up extremely well. I know people who have been using the Deemax wheelsets have had no problems with rims (just with spokes popping out).

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Love them......the only rim taht I haven't dented yet.....I've cracked arrows, 321's, all types of suns, the old D 3.1's etc.....

get them....you'll love them....I never flatted them running tubeless until I got to northstar and it was all over.....3 flats in 3 days....I was running to little pressure and i was riding like ronnie the retard and just jumping wherever possible with little regard to where i was landing......I can't wait to go back there......

P.S......I got a chance to do an extensive ride on Dusty's Sunday at my all time favorite track(suicide, near ventura).... :heart:
that bike scared me....It handled alot like the turner(drilled) but carried it's speed through medium sized stuff, much better....like...night and day.....the wheels are turning.....I think I want a boxxer too....they've come a long ways....at the very least I need different springs in my 7" 888....either way, that bike got me all fired up about riding again...

xc skier

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
My '05 Deemax wheels are still round which I can't say from my old D3.1 rims... The only "problem" that I've encountered with new rims is that tyres are much easier to pinch flat because rims don't get flat spotted when you hit the rock :)

Absolutely brilliant. Ran a front one for two weeks in france this year and didn't have a quibble with it. Even after *accidentally* running it at a silly low presure on Avoriaz and hearing lots of metal on rock noises :thumb:

Combined with Michelin tyres they went up and stayed up no problems.

Definately a set on order for my next bike.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
interesting. This is completely the opposite of what one of my team guys was saying. He has had major flatting issues this year with the new 823s and michelin comp 16s.

Any idea what he could have been doing wrong?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Transcend said:
interesting. This is completely the opposite of what one of my team guys was saying. He has had major flatting issues this year with the new 823s and michelin comp 16s.

Couple guys in know run the old tried and true "Tire in a tire" with thoose Comp 16's to prevent flatting........actually not a whole tire but they glue and extra sidewall in there......seems to work....

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Transcend said:

I had zero problems on comp 16's and the old 823 rim, well, until the rim died a horrible death, but the tubeless part was spot on.
And this year with Stans on a MTX rim, I never had any tire problems, but I had a bunch of trouble with the rim strips getting holes in them, and also air leaking through the holes in the spokes.
Tubeless rocks, but if you have issues with it, it is the biggest pain in the ass ever. I got to a point where if it did not work the first time, I threw a tube in and forgot about it.
It is still weird that more companies are not making UST rims.

Acadian, unfortunately, I can't tell if I have an '04 or an '05. I can tell you that I've run the 823 that I do have has been up front for a while now (8-10 months) with no problems. It's still straight and round as the day I bought. I'm not really a hack, but I'm also not the smoothest guy on the planet. Not sure I'd put one out back though just based on the number of people that have had issues with them. I'll just stick to the 729's for that.

edit - Oh yeah, on the 823, I've been running a 2.7 Maxxis Highroller with a XC tube between 22-28psi depending on where I'm riding.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Ian Collins said:
P.S......I got a chance to do an extensive ride on Dusty's Sunday at my all time favorite track(suicide, near ventura).... :heart:
that bike scared me....It handled alot like the turner(drilled) but carried it's speed through medium sized stuff, much better....like...night and day.....the wheels are turning.....I think I want a boxxer too....they've come a long ways....at the very least I need different springs in my 7" 888....either way, that bike got me all fired up about riding again...
that is exactly how I feel about the Sunday - compared to my DHR it carries way much more speed over medium to large size stuff. With the DHR it's like the rear wheel acted as a hook and hooked (e.g. slowed me down) on square edged impacts.

But isn't Dusty jumping ships tho? Going with the Giant next year?

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Acadian said:
Why the hell do you always have pictures like this?

I havn't had my 823's for very long, but my impressions are good.
They are a pain to build up due to the tubeless spoke-holder thing. But once their set up the system holds air really well. I havn't had any burping or anything with these rims (Hutchinson Octupusses with a little stans).

I would say they fall somewhere between a 521 and a 321. Not as dent resistant as a 321, but hold a little truer than a 521.

I'll have to wait and see how they resist cracking.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Acadian said:
that is exactly how I feel about the Sunday - compared to my DHR it carries way much more speed over medium to large size stuff. With the DHR it's like the rear wheel acted as a hook and hooked (e.g. slowed me down) on square edged impacts.

But isn't Dusty jumping ships tho? Going with the Giant next year?
he was thinking of running one because giant is michelin sponsored, and he liked rando's, but rando's is miles from production...I saw a picture of the production bike and almost barfed.....f'in hideous....dusty will stay on a sunday, and who knows what i'll do :eek:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Well my rear 04 EX823 has held up fine this year, plus 3 days at N * last year. As I probably mentioned before, what worked for me was running about 38psi. Too little pressure and I killed 4 rims last year.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Brian HCM#1 said:
Well my rear 04 EX823 has held up fine this year, plus 3 days at N * last year. As I probably mentioned before, what worked for me was running about 38psi. Too little pressure and I killed 4 rims last year.
Holy crap what kind of tires are you running?
Tubes or tubeless?

I run 25-28 in mine. Get an occasional ping, but they seem to take it fine. I don't, by any means, "back off" through rocks. I just try to float over them instead of land on them.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Biscuit said:
Holy crap what kind of tires are you running?
Tubes or tubeless?

I run 25-28 in mine. Get an occasional ping, but they seem to take it fine. I don't, by any means, "back off" through rocks. I just try to float over them instead of land on them.
Michelin Comp 24's tubeless, some areas of N* is very difficult to "float over rocks" especially with my riding style.

AlberTop

Monkey
Nov 30, 2004
South
I've used 2005 Deemax for the hole eayer without problems. Got some flats before puting NoTubes. After NoTubes, no flats!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
kidwoo said:
What's the appeal of these rims over a 721 if you're not going tubeless?

Lighter or that 2 mm width difference?
There is not one.
Plus the newer rims are heavier.

And
38 PSI?
Whoa, if you try that around here, on wet roots, you better have a pillow strapped to your azz. ;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jeremy R said:
There is not one.
Plus the newer rims are heavier.
I don't think luc wants to run tubeless, so why, man why!!!?????

Jeremy R said:
And
38 PSI?
Whoa, if you try that around here, on wet roots, you better have a pillow strapped to your azz. ;)
Conversely....... try to run less at northstar for a day at full speed. Not happenin either. :)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
kidwoo said:

Ah, a loaded question.

Conversely....... try to run less at northstar for a day at full speed. Not happenin either. :)
Speaking of moondust, the East Coast has been drier than Barbara Bush for the last month or so. Diablo was a big heap of dirt dust and rock, and so was Snowshoe a few weeks ago. Prime. :)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jeremy R said:
Speaking of moondust, the East Coast has been drier than Barbara Bush for the last month or so. Diablo was a big heap of dirt dust and rock, and so was Snowshoe a few weeks ago. Prime. :)
Us booger pickers would fit right in.

I'm kind of thinking about an east coast trip next year. Diablo, Plattekill and snowshoe (maybe windrock if you lazy bastards actually built something cool ;) ) .......so what would be the best time of year to do this? And can I count on you to not make me think about barbara bush's coochie if I do?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
kidwoo said:
And can I count on you to not make me think about barbara bush's coochie if I do?
First off, Barbara's bush would have saved you some typing. :blah:

As far as a good time to hit the east coast, September is normally good. Things to remember, make sure Snowshoe is running their lifts on the Western side when you go. You have got to hit Diablo, it is a blast.
And Windrock is tougher than both overall.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jeremy R said:
First off, Barbara's bush would have saved you some typing. :blah:

As far as a good time to hit the east coast, September is normally good. Things to remember, make sure Snowshoe is running their lifts on the Western side when you go. You have got to hit Diablo, it is a blast.
And Windrock is tougher than both overall.
So later the better within lift operations..........Thanks Maybe it's something I could do after northstar closes.

Some of the pics you guys have put up of windrock look really nice.
The east coast in general just looks better and better every year for lift chair good times.
And any chance to say coochie should be utilized in my mind.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
kidwoo said:
Some of the pics you guys have put up of windrock look really nice.
The east coast in general just looks better and better every year for lift chair good times.
Yeah, Diablo has a little gondola thingy that holds 3 bikes and is fast,
and Snowshoe has a good lift as well.
But if you want a lift at Windrock, you are gonna have to put a jack under your azz.
But it is a paved shuttle road and super easy to drive, well if you don't count all the hicks on 4-wheelers testing Darwin's theory hourly.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jeremy R said:
Yeah, Diablo has a little gondola thingy that holds 3 bikes and is fast,
and Snowshoe has a good lift as well.
But if you want a lift at Windrock, you are gonna have to put a jack under your azz.
But it is a paved shuttle road and super easy to drive, well if you don't count all the hicks on 4-wheelers testing Darwin's theory hourly.
Yeah I realized windrock was da roots yo....bootleg canyon style. If I go on a weekend that's not a race somewhere, you motherfvckers should show up and we can pet each other's turners or someting. I used to ski at snowshoe....would be cool to ride it in summer.

Thanks for the info.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
kidwoo said:

Yep, for some reason lower Dog Bone/Vietnam and the 3rd section of Sticks seemed to claim most of my rims at low pressure.