Quantcast

'05 Z1 FR1 vs. '07 36 Van vs. '04 Breakout Plus?

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
Guys,

I am one of the lucky few that will be getting my new black Bottlerocket frame in next week:weee:

I have the following fork dilemma.

I own both an '04 breakout plus, which I actually like and an '05 Z1 FR1. I also have a new '07 36 Van on order but I am sure the shop that I ordered it from could sell it no prob if I decide not to buy it.

I would like for this bike to be somewhat trail rideable, so I am worried about the weight and height of the Breakout. The '05 Z1 FR1 feels good and I like it, but the 36 Van I tested in a parking lot felt amazing. The only problem with the VAN is it is quite a bit of cash and I am not sure I want to drop it right now. Which fork would you go with?

I am leaning more toward the Z1 or the 36 as I would like to keep the weight down but still be able to rip parks and shuttle. Is the VAN that much better to be spending all that money? Can anyone make a compelling argument to use the Breakout? (The other issue with the Breakout is I would have to buy a 1.5 headset and then buy reducer cups if I wanted to put one of the others on there later).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am sure this will open a can of worms, but if cost is an issue, you have to stay with the Z1. While the 36Van will be plusher and stiffer, I have to believe that the Z1 will be adequate, and it will definitely be easier to service.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Z.1 seems great to me. Go for the Van36 if you are hell bent on upgrading. Both will feel much better than the Manitou, I bet.

-r

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
In order of performance:

-Z1
-Manipoop

Just ride the Z1 and upgrade to a Fox later if you feel it's necessary.