Quantcast

06 66 downtube clearance

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i stopped by a friend shop the other day and saw they had a new camo gemini (hot!, normally i dont care much for neither geminis nor camo, but this one was HOT) that has a 06 66.

thing is, the crown hits the downtube in a dentarrific way, im waiting on one of those forks thats meant to go on a giant AC, anyone have any info on if it will clear that frame?

i did try to measure if it would clear the gemini with a different headset and it looked like "maybe", thing is, the bike had a flush mount headset so maybe with a different headset, say the cane creek xxc, the crown might clear, maybe.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Ventana is allegedly making a taller Chris King crown race. I say allegedly because no one has seen it yet, but Sherwood annouced he would do it (people on the MTBR 29er forum are pretty excited by it). It was concieved to fix problems with Reba's hitting downtubes, but it would certainly work for this application as well.

Sep 10, 2001
Ventana makes 2 races for King headsets... On raises the front 4mm the other 7mm.. But, we don't know the long term effects of this race in the steer tube.

For the guys with 1.5 headtubes, some of the reduction headsets from Cane Creek and FSA use a large enough lower bearing to provide enough clearence in most cases.

Brian

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
IF it's only hitting by a MM or two, then why not try shaving down the fork crown a tiny bit. That upper part of the crown must not be a very important stress spot.

Of course if a new headset doesn't work.

You've made me scared now! I just ordered a 06 66 fork for my azonic saber. My Pike clears with close to an inch of room, will the 66 be much closer or am I in the clear?

Those 66 forks sure have the widest crown of any fork I;ve ever seen!

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I have a feeling that it's only hitting due to the flush-mount headset. The 66 has a wide crown, but the adjusters are very low-profile. I'd use a Cane Creek XXc or a FSA Orbit Xtreme 1.5r cup on the bottom.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I know that on my boss's med. nomad a '06 66sl clears fine with the use of a chris king headset (all this 1 1/8 though) I think what dogboy is sayin is spot on