Quantcast

06 Boxxer question, how do you guys run your compression settings??

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Did a search, couldn't find any info.

Im thinking about getting some boxxers as i want to lighten my bike and the new ones that i rode felt fairly nice (teams and world cups).

The issue i have is limited cash. I am tossing up between the 2006 boxxer race and boxxer team.

A few guys i have talked to have said that on their teams (and world cups) they run the high and low speed compression backed almost all the way out meaning the extra adjustment is kind of useless and i should just save the $$ and get the boxxer races.

Just wanted to know how the US ride monkey racer types are running their forks, and if they thought it was worth the extra $$ for the team.

For the record im coming of 2002 monster T's which don't have any compression adjustment anyway, so even just low speed control will be a step up.

Thanks

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
get a Team. i have the WC. and i in truth i really don't use any adjustments. one click of the low speed and maybe 2-3 clicks of the high. but everyone is different. best fork i've had in a while. still can't believe how light it is for the performance

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The forks are over-sprung, so people tend to ride them pretty open. All the forks I've set up for people have had extremely light spring rates and heavier compession damping. I always add an air-preload topcap to the Teams to get the spring rate just right.

I ran a 25 pound spring with no air preload, but 15cc's of extra oil, Jamie Ford runs a 30 pound spring and about 6 PSI of air, and my Expert class rider runs a 30 pound spring and 8 psi of air.

My compression settings were 4 clicks in on LSC and 5 clicks in on the hi-speed blowoff. Ford runs 2 clicks LSC and 5 clicks HSC. The expert rider (180 pounds) runs 3 clicks lsc and 4 clicks hsc.

In the worldcup, at 160 pounds I run 95 PSI, and 4 clicks LSC and 6 clicks HSC. The solo-air system is a little to linear for my tastes, so I often lower the travel, which reduces the volume in the positive chamber.

I would opt for a team over a race, as the secondary hi-speed compression piston really does make a difference in the way the fork handles big holes and uglyness.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
so if i weigh 150 w/o gear could i get away with the x-soft spring and pop on an air preload cap? i like to be able to use all of my adjustment range but i dont want the spring to be so soft that i have to max the settings out to make it work well.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SuspectDevice said:
The forks are over-sprung, so people tend to ride them pretty open. All the forks I've set up for people have had extremely light spring rates and heavier compession damping. I always add an air-preload topcap to the Teams to get the spring rate just right.

I ran a 25 pound spring with no air preload, but 15cc's of extra oil, Jamie Ford runs a 30 pound spring and about 6 PSI of air, and my Expert class rider runs a 30 pound spring and 8 psi of air.

My compression settings were 4 clicks in on LSC and 5 clicks in on the hi-speed blowoff. Ford runs 2 clicks LSC and 5 clicks HSC. The expert rider (180 pounds) runs 3 clicks lsc and 4 clicks hsc.

In the worldcup, at 160 pounds I run 95 PSI, and 4 clicks LSC and 6 clicks HSC. The solo-air system is a little to linear for my tastes, so I often lower the travel, which reduces the volume in the positive chamber.

I would opt for a team over a race, as the secondary hi-speed compression piston really does make a difference in the way the fork handles big holes and uglyness.
Thanks for that post mate, i think you may have swayed me into getting the teams.

I know exactly what you mean, i was running a 550 lb spring on the rear of my bike with minimal compression and i was getting bucked around and getting sore feet, went to a 450lb spring with comp set half way and its like butter.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
By that logic would it be smarter for me to run lower air pressure in my World cups and then actually use the dampening adjustments?

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I have another question regarding the boxxer rides.

Does anybody know if the boxxer ride uses the same size stanchions as the races/teams/world cups, ie the rides just run more stanchion.bushing overlap?

My frame was designed around a 7inch fork, thinking about getting the rides based on what was said above as they come with the high/low speed comp for almost the same price as the races, but i would like the option of ditching the u-turn function some time in the future and putting in a spring/air cap/plunger from the teams if i decide i want to go to 8inchs. Would this work?

I have also read that the boxxer DH maxle is a bit of a pain, and the ride uses the pike style maxle.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Daver said:
By that logic would it be smarter for me to run lower air pressure in my World cups and then actually use the dampening adjustments?
thats the general idea behind compression damping. It allows you to run a more supple/responsive spring rate, while still resisting pedaling forces and bottoming out. So you keep maximum responsiveness

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Daver said:
Jesus Christ.... Yes!
People whine about other forks not having enough LSC and then given a fork with plenty of it run it backed all the way off. :rolleyes: Everyone up here seems to do the exact same thing. A classic example of people spending money on topend stuff and having no idea to tune it.

Try running the LSC turned up to midway or more, and the floodgate backed off to the point where there will be plenty of LSC but it will blow off on faster/harder impacts. You can tune the blowoff point roughly right just in the carpark and play with it a little more if needed after a run or two to get it perfect.

Cave Dweller - if the rides use the same lowers and stanchions as the other boxxers, there will be no extra stanchion/bushing overlap - the bushings will be designed so that they have 100% contact with the stanchions in the 8" forks when fully extended, so pushing the stanchions in deeper isn't going to give you any extra stanchion/bushing contact area. Correct me if i'm wrong but that's the way I see it. I'd go for some teams and deal with the extra a-c height personally - what's the measurement on your 7" monsters? Boxxers are about 568mm at lowest height, the lowest 8" dual crowns I know of. Run a zero stack lower cup in the DHR if you aren't already also.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Udi said:
Cave Dweller - if the rides use the same lowers and stanchions as the other boxxers, there will be no extra stanchion/bushing overlap - the bushings will be designed so that they have 100% contact with the stanchions in the 8" forks when fully extended, so pushing the stanchions in deeper isn't going to give you any extra stanchion/bushing contact area. Correct me if i'm wrong but that's the way I see it. I'd go for some teams and deal with the extra a-c height personally - what's the measurement on your 7" monsters? Boxxers are about 568mm at lowest height, the lowest 8" dual crowns I know of. Run a zero stack lower cup in the DHR if you aren't already also.
Monsters are 550mm.

Reason i was asking about the rides is they are a good $400 cheaper then the teams. If they use the same lowers and stanchions i could change it over to 8inch at a later date if i decide 7inchs is not enough. I also have the option of trying to get ahold of the WC air hop up kit and turning it into a world cup. Of course if the stanchion tubes are shorter on the rides then i can't do this which is why im asking the questions. I would assume rock shox use the same parts to reduce cost.

Another reason is i have heard the DH maxle is a bit of a pain to use, the ride comes with a pike style maxle.

Just thinking of the cheapest way to get new forks, im a poor uni student :dead:

Also, my DHR is a 04 model and was designed around 7inch forks i think, 05-06 are designed around an 8inch fork.

J

J5ive

Heres some info that may help you cavey boy...
06 team motion control asseb- $239AUS

You can also buy all the parts required to make a race run solo air..
You need a
Top cap- $49
One upper leg- $250
Solo Air assemb- $240

Comes in a decent bit cheaper than the WC.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
J5ive said:
Heres some info that may help you cavey boy...
06 team motion control asseb- $239AUS

You can also buy all the parts required to make a race run solo air..
You need a
Top cap- $49
One upper leg- $250
Solo Air assemb- $240

Comes in a decent bit cheaper than the WC.
Cheers mate, just the info i was looking for.

Are those parts RRP buying through SRAM in australia? Do they have them in stock and will they sell them to you or do you have to send the fork to them?

mantra

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
Stuttgart Germany
SuspectDevice said:
95psi at 160pounds??? Are you sure? I run 150psi at 160 pounds and I´m using nearly al of the travel in this setup.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Yes, I honestly run between 95 and 110 PSI. "using nearly all the travel" isn't what you want you want to use ALL the travel at least once a run!

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
SuspectDevice said:
Yes, I honestly run between 95 and 110 PSI. "using nearly all the travel" isn't what you want you want to use ALL the travel at least once a run!
I run a stock spring, because I still haven't received my air top cap. :mumble:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
SuspectDevice said:
i weigh 160, i run 120-125psi, and i use all the travel a lot more than once a run.

how much air you run or what spring rate you need depends on more than just you weight. the terrain you ride and the speed you choose to go have a lot to do with it as well

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
SuspectDevice said:
It is actually in the mail!

(warning, do not do bussiness with Me, as I'll loose all your parts in my pockets for weeks)

Sorry for the hijack - when did you send it? did you send it express like you said? Because it's been like 4 weeks now.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
FYI, the difference between the race and the team is that the team/WC have the high-speed shim stack damping in addition to the MC. definitely worth it over the race.

for settings, I'll change mine depending on the course. wide open for slow-speed stuff, ~3 clicks in on each for stuff with hard G-outs. still bottomed the crap out of the fork (and rear shock too) at Mt Snow this weekend. :oink:

Hydraulicman

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
Belgium
SuspectDevice said:
I'm also 160 lbs and tried your settings today and all I can say is: " Helloooooooooow first plush inches of travel":thumb:

Is the air solo like some kinda dhx boost valve and the propedal setting? Like if you're not getting enough LSC with the LSC all the way off, just release air until the settings work?

With 95 psi and 4 clicks LSC I think it tends to brake dive too much for my preference, so adding air would give me more LSC at 4 clicks?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
No, the damping settings and the spring settings are completely independent. Solo-air just means that air is free to bleed between the positive and negative springs, keeping negative spring pressure in the sweetspot as heat builds up throughout the travel.
Adding air would just increase your springrate. Use air pressure to set sag, and the low speed compression adjuster to tune out brake dive.

You can just add more low-speed compression, but you may get to a point where too much LSC makes the fork too stiff over stutter bumps and roots.

Hydraulicman

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
Belgium
So the fork will likely bottom out @95psi with my 160lbs. When I rode it at about 140psi, I used full travel...

Or is this where the floodgate comes to work? I can understand why you would add LSC damping to reduce brake dive and pedal bob.

But why wouldn't you want to run HSC all the way off? I did do a testride on curbs with the floodgate all the way off and all the way on, and it felt better all the way off...

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Thanks all.

I have ordered in a boxxer race (as it was cheap and came with a flat crown already) and also ordered a team/world cup motion control assembly with black box speed stack to upgrade it to teams specs, and i have also ordered a boxxer world cup air cap based on suspect device's post.

I was also tossing up about getting the air spring setup at a later date but im not sure the extra maintance is worth it?

SuspectDevice, weight aside, if the boxxer teams and world cups weighed the same which would you prefer to ride and why?

Also, i read your post about reducing travel in the world cups, did you end up figuring out a less dodgy way of doing it?

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Bicyclist said:
It's a Duke air top cap. It won't replace the spring; it's an air-assist.
I think you can use the world cup air cap as well, it looks the same as the duke cap but has a metal dust cap instead of plastic.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Just to follow up from Cave Dwellers posts (and not wanting to start yet another thread) is the '06 Ride any good?

The g/f is looking for a longer fork for her Patriot and that really seems to fit the bill (light, low and the bonus of adjustable travel), but i haven't heard any feedback whatsoever about its performance.

Cheers, Mark

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
scottishmark said:
Just to follow up from Cave Dwellers posts (and not wanting to start yet another thread) is the '06 Ride any good?

The g/f is looking for a longer fork for her Patriot and that really seems to fit the bill (light, low and the bonus of adjustable travel), but i haven't heard any feedback whatsoever about its performance.

Cheers, Mark
The ride is basically a 5-7inch adjustable team.

Don't think it was a hot seller this year as rock shox will not be making it next year, if you wait a couple of months it will probably go on blowout sale.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
What the rider weight range for the stock spring is on the team? My Team should be in next week I weight around 215 geared up would the stock spring be good for me or would i need some thing more firm?

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
The stock spring (yellow) is rated for 150-180lbs rider. I'm ~175lb with gear and can bottom out the fork just fine with the stock spring.

At 215, I'd suggest that you get the firm spring.