Quantcast

06 fox 40r's or 02 monsters, in a bind, what to do......

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
** sorry for longish post**

Guys,

I won myself a set of fox40R's (not rc2's) and i find myself in a bind. Im currently riding a 02 monster and am happy with the performance but there are 2 things i dislike, they are a touch heavy and the fork has a 65mm steerer/axle offset which makes the bike steerer really bad, gives it a sluggish feel.

The fox 40 fixxes both these gripes, lighter and 45mm offset. But the fox R has no external adjustment to the compression circuit which kind of sucks, and i could selll it new and pocket the cash.

Problem is i break stuff. My old fork was a 03 dorado and i cracked the lower crown, and i also managed to crack the carbon leg, hence the reason i ended up getting the monster.

I sold the dorado to a guy who fixed it, and ended up doing the exact same thing again. He bought a fox 40 and cracked the arch so it has me worried as well.

Im in a bind, i know i should probably sell the fox as it won't last, and keep on with the monster but i just love getting new bits of bling and i would go so nice on my DHR.

If i go with the fox the 02 monster has to go (girlfriends orders) which i don't really want to do as it is in mint condition, and i have 3/4 of a 00 monster for spare parts so it is going to last a long, long time. If is sell the monster i know i will never get it back.

So, anyway, i don't huck, i just ride and race every now and then, what should i do? One of them has to go as i need the money, im in a bind, what would YOU do if you were in this position???

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
It sounds like you are not really happy with either option, so if I was you I would try to sell both forks and get something you would be happy with ! In the long run it gets annoying to ride around on a fork you feel is like 80% of what you want it to be.....

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
But you know perfectly well that I'm not light on my parts. I reckon go the Fox, or air valve the monster.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
seismic said:
It sounds like you are not really happy with either option, so if I was you I would try to sell both forks and get something you would be happy with ! In the long run it gets annoying to ride around on a fork you feel is like 80% of what you want it to be.....
I am not really taken by any of the forks out there at the moment, the new 888 rc2x looks good, but it doesn't appear they are bringing out a 7inch model, not a fan of 8inch forks after riding one at whislter for a couple of days, front end is too high.

An avy would be nice (would match the rear avy nice) but after my experiances with a dorado i won't go back to an upside down fork

I am 90% happy with the monster, they do steer alright, i put a longer stem on and it seems to make it steer better, and the weight will be knocked down soon enough with the air mod im doing.

Daver said:
But you know perfectly well that I'm not light on my parts. I reckon go the Fox, or air valve the monster.
Neither am I, i like to think i ride like a feather, but in reality i ride like a sack of potatos rolling down the hill, thats why i don't have much faith in the fox 40 lasting much over a year, and at the moment i can't afford to replace anything major on my bike within the next 1 1/2 years. Think i will sell them, sacrifice weight for $$ in the pocket

I am about to air up the monster for real, i have the air valve cap made. I did it the other day and rode around the backyard but it was topping out a bit due to the higher air pressure i needed to firm it up. Need to get some 15wt oil in the cart and a heavier spring first before i take it off road.

All was happy until i was told i won the 40's :mumble:.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Cave Dweller said:
If i go with the fox the 02 monster has to go (girlfriends orders) which i don't really want to do as it is in mint condition, and i have 3/4 of a 00 monster for spare parts so it is going to last a long, long time. If is sell the monster i know i will never get it back.
Shes just a girlfriend, keep both if you want too.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Sherpa said:
Shes just a girlfriend, keep both if you want too.
Hahah... not really her orders, it was more a suggestion intended to be taken as an order :D

She is right though, no need to keep both, one or the other, can't afford it, im a poor, poor uni student.

J

J5ive

I think lowers are around $350aud. If you do crack it in the first year, get them fixed under warrenty and then sell them. You will have more than enough cash to get something else at that stage.

I touched my high/low speed on my 40 about 3 times in 6 months. If its not there you wont miss it.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
PepperJester said:
sell them bolth and get a works 888RC2X.
The works forks are a waste of $$. I would just get the normal 888, but like i said not a fan of 8inch forks.

Actually, thats another down side of the fox i don't like, non user servicable.

Its funny, out of all the forks i have owned i think the one i was the most happy with was my old xvert carbon, i loved that fork.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
I have the 40R and have never needed to touch the adjustment. you'll never miss having the RC2. you can add the RC2 cart if you wanted to in the future.
Keep in mind, the arch on the 06 40 is said to be stronger. why not ride the 40 for a year, bling out your bike, enjoy a new fork and then at the end of the year, sell it for probably a good resale value.

joel

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
sell the fork while its new, then try out your air mod, if that doesnt work out, sell it and get an 888 7" for probably just a bit more than what you can sell the monster for.

i serviced a 40 the other day and while impressed with the quality and design, there is just no way i can take anyones word for that the dent resistance of those big tubes to be even similar to an 888, thats probably not a concern for most people but if you, like you say, are good at breaking stuff, then its something to bear in mind.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
keep the monster... you d regret selling it... i still have my 02 monster sitting out in the shed... mint condition and like ya said, if ya sell it you probabally won t get one back in the same condition...

i was perfectly happy with mine as well but i must say that the weight diff felt huge up front... but if / when something goes wrong with the 888 i can throw on the monster... infact i travel with this fork as a back-up when we hit the DH resorts here... still has a crown race on it so i can fit it and be back riding within 15 mins...

good luck with ya decision

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
That's true about keeping it. If you sell your monster it won't be easy to get one like it back. Plus you probably wouldn't get too much for a 02 Monster anyways (ehhh almost 4 years old) so I'd just keep it.

And I'd ride the Fox! Like said above, you can get the compression cart. if you really need it. But sometimes with the correct oil and springs, rebound is all you really need. I'll admit, I'm always one to get the "higher" end of the spectrums but a R or RC would be fine in a DH case. Like said above, you could use it for a year or whatever, send it to PUSH (guessing by then they'll do something to it maybe) and keep on using it or sell it off. Either way you'll have some $$$ from it.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The Fox should hold up fine, especially if it's the newest casting.
Also, your monster doesn't have compression adjustment, so why do you need it for the Fox?

If you're still not happy with the setup, sell everything. Get an 04/05 7" 888RR (assuming they really aren't making a 7" RC2X)

J

J5ive

Haha Cave, that x-vert of yours is in pieces up this way. The coating on the uppers is all but worn away.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
J5ive said:
Haha Cave, that x-vert of yours is in pieces up this way. The coating on the uppers is all but worn away.
That was the only problems with those forks, if you didn't pull them apart every few months, clean and re-grease they went to sh!t

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
toodles said:
Sell them both and get some '06 888s maybe?
Yeh, i was thinking about it. The new white 888 RC2X's look nice, flat crowns, high low speed compression adjustment, external volume adjustment etc.

Vitox, i totally agree with you on the lower casting, have you seen the cut away pic from interbike, it looks scary thin.

Maybe i should sell the fox, get the rc2x, keep the monster and if i end up liking the rc2x get rid of the monster.

Fulton said:
I say sell'em both and get an avy!
Three negatives to that fork, it is upside down so twists in a crash, the steerer to axle offset is bigger then my monster (!!) and lastly i have heard the steerer is ever so slightly undersized so your stem twist's easy.

ohio said:
Also, your monster doesn't have compression adjustment, so why do you need it for the Fox?
True, but i can change the oil weight easy enough to get more or less compression.

Dam this!!! :mumble:

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
Cave Dweller said:
Fulton said:
I say sell'em both and get an avy! .

Three negatives to that fork, it is upside down so twists in a crash, the steerer to axle offset is bigger then my monster (!!) and lastly i have heard the steerer is ever so slightly undersized so your stem twist's easy.
#1, true, it is inverted, but it doesn't twist as easily as say a Shiver.
#2, can't speak to that
#3, a wives tale perhaps. It may have been an issue for one of the posters on RM, but it is not the normal experience. Bottomline, the stem does not steer easily. :eek:

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
they changed the weaksauce to hotsauce...definitely better

jk..

um there is no change. mid-05 they changed the casting for the arch breaking problems but there's nothing new for 06. except more reviews from customers.

SCARY

Not long enough
Sell the girlfriend.I think you should keep both.Race the one and beat the other there are ways around the compression issue.maybe contact fox and see if you could pay the difference.I'll start the bidding on the girlfriend @ 50.00..........No, she's bossy..Uhhh...25.00!

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
I agree, sell the monster, the Fox, and the gf, and get the Avalanche. They are definetely the stiffest inverted fork I've felt so far (Shivers and Dorado's feel like noodles when things get rough). The newer White Brothers are also worth taking a look at if you haven't already. They, and the Avalanches, have a much longer bushing overlap in the fork legs that prevents the twisting found in the Shivers/Dorados. Maybe get the '05 888RC 170mm? You could also lighten up that Monster by putting in the air upgrade and putting in Ti springs, though I'm not sure who makes them. I know people have done that upgrade along with making some thinner and more hollowed out crowns for the monster and it has gotten down to near the weight of the 888 without sacrificing the stiffness. Look into it.

Edit: If you look into the '05 888's, go to www.downshiftcycles.com - GREAT prices on all the Marzocchi forks. I'm not sure how good they are with international shipping, but if you had to order it from somewhere, they would save you a ton of money.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Cave Dweller said:
Yeh, i was thinking about it. The new white 888 RC2X's look nice, flat crowns, high low speed compression adjustment, external volume adjustment etc.

Vitox, i totally agree with you on the lower casting, have you seen the cut away pic from interbike, it looks scary thin.

Maybe i should sell the fox, get the rc2x, keep the monster and if i end up liking the rc2x get rid of the monster.

True, but i can change the oil weight easy enough to get more or less compression.

Dam this!!! :mumble:

Well since you don't like inverted forks I would suggest an '05 7" 888...use the money you make from selling the 40 to pay for it.

BTW I have owned both a Shiver and Dorado and never had them twist on me...it's all about the torque wrench!...D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
bomberboy11 said:
BMXman, how do you prevent your Shiver/Dorados from twisting by tightening anything down more than normal?

I just thoroughly cleaned the clamping surfaces and made sure to grease the bolts...then used the proper torque...D