Quantcast

06 Kona & Zocchi

Jamsoul

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
tha boot
The Coilair is a sweet looking do anything bike. :thumb:

I wonder how the changes in shock placement, and linkage makes the new stinkys ride?

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Why do so many people dislike Konas? If a company doesn't reinvent the wheel every 3-5 years people say its an out dated bike. Konas ride great, there strong, speced well and affordable, whats not to like? Keep in mind I don't ride a Kona any more.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Hey didn't 2005 JUST start. Like I said before this is bad business. Turn people off to the 05 product just as it hit the stores. A shop owner was just bitching about this. People want the 06 stuff and can't sell 05 bikes because companies hype the hell out of next years bikes soooooooooooooo much that the common buyer wants that and not "the old bikes". STUPID!!!

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
dhtahoe said:
Hey didn't 2005 JUST start. Like I said before this is bad business. Turn people off to the 05 product just as it hit the stores. A shop owner was just bitching about this. People want the 06 stuff and can't sell 05 bikes because companies hype the hell out of next years bikes soooooooooooooo much that the common buyer wants that and not "the old bikes". STUPID!!!
I remember when new bikes and suspension/parts would only come out during the winter. Now it's like the car industry, they're coming out with 2010 bikes when we're only halfway through 2005!

To the guy that posted that pic of the 1999 Stab...you should of posted the 2000 Stab. That would make a clearer point as to how the frame has 'barely' changed.

MDBullit

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
Bethesda, MD
ewww orange MTX rims. I can't wait til I see these a few years down the road on a pinkbiker's bike , similar to the orange Hayes calipers Kona coughed up a couple years back.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
i dont know. when a frame goes six years virtually unchanged. i know there good frames. but you gotta have a lil innovation here. i do love how they get people into riding though because they are strong cheap workhorses

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Let's not forget what bike was piloted to 1st place at Worlds by Fabien Barel.

It was a bit different for sure, but the frame originally started as a stock Stab...and the mods aren't out of reach for a privateer...

RaID

Turbo Monkey
well that fact alone prooves that its the rider and not the bike
otherwise we'd be probably seeing a lot more honda wins on the circuit

i just dont like the way konas ride and they havent made anything over the years
to want me as a consumer to buy any of their bikes

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
neversummersnow said:
Let's not forget what bike was piloted to 1st place at Worlds by Fabien Barel.

It was a bit different for sure, but the frame originally started as a stock Stab...and the mods aren't out of reach for a privateer...
Let's not also forget who rode it (hint: it wasn't me or anyone similarly crap), and that there are dozens of other bikes you can buy that ride really nicely WITHOUT having to be modified like Barel's was.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Just so we're clear, I'm not saying the Stab is the best DH bike out there. It just seemed like a lot of people were acting as though it was a step behind or not up to the standards of many other DH bikes out there.

Yes, it is mostly rider, I think that's clear. In golf we don't say its the club we say its the guy who swung the club....and a new driver wont make you the new long drive champ, but it can help 5-10 percent.

The mods to the frame were mods the normal privateer would be better of withought, it makes the bike less forgiving. (stupid low bb, 7.??" of travel etc)

In the end, I would personally modify many top end DH bikes like my SGS world cup or Turner DHR to give me a lower BB slacker HT angle...its common practice

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
DRB said:
The surprise thing to me are the 10000 hardtails they are making.

But I like this one...

I had one of those. Pretty groovy, mine was orange. not a very light frame (4130 prob.), but good around town bike. I went right back to my fixed gear 700c, and sold it.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Man some of you guys just don't get it.

Do you ride for the gear, or to ride your bike? Kona is the kind of company that isn't interested in doing the new thing just to make A.D.D. e-bikers happy. They build the bikes they do to ride the terrain that they ride. You want the newest, fanciest suspension design on the block? Grab your brilliant copy of MBA and run down to the store to get it. The Kona bikes work damn well, especially for the money. They do the job they were designed for, and don't compain even after you beat them silly. If you don't like the ride, or want whatever the flavor of the week is, don't buy them.

Change does not always mean for the better. ;)

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
thaflyinfatman said:
Let's not also forget who rode it (hint: it wasn't me or anyone similarly crap), and that there are dozens of other bikes you can buy that ride really nicely WITHOUT having to be modified like Barel's was.
Barels bike was modified because Barel wanted it set up for his riding style(and it worked didnt it?),just like Intense made custom frames for Kovaric,Kirkaldie,and even Voq had bits changed on her M3 to suit her.

Are you saying you've never changed anything on a copmplete bike you've bought to suit your riding?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Kona Suck big time, Most of the staff they employ no nothing about bikes and the bikes they sell. I will go into more details when I have time

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
dhtahoe said:
That's treu.. but the models will be there many months (i heard the most expensive models arived in 05
) later so it's better to buy the 05 models. Especially the more expensive models are coming later to the stores. My friend had bought a Stinky o5 and ordered it in Jun 04 and it was delivered in oct. 04.

Or mabey not if you are willing to wait. Then you will be the whole summer without a new bike.

And i must say the Kula Supreme i would really love to have it.. :drool:

The colours are looking even better for 2006 and specs to.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Percy said:
Barels bike was modified because Barel wanted it set up for his riding style(and it worked didnt it?),just like Intense made custom frames for Kovaric,Kirkaldie,and even Voq had bits changed on her M3 to suit her.

Are you saying you've never changed anything on a copmplete bike you've bought to suit your riding?
Complete? I was talking about the frame, not the componentry. Yes, I can say I haven't had parts of my frame drilled/machined out, I can say I've never had to alter the geometry of my DH bike (because it hasn't needed it), I can say I haven't had my frame built from lighter tubing than stock, and I can say I don't ride anywhere near as fast as he does. What my point was, is this: If you were looking to buy a racebike/general purpose DHer, would you consider more highly (neglecting other factors) the one that doesn't need modifications (say a Sunday or a DHi) or would you buy the one which DOES need the modifications to be raceworthy? You can turn a Norco/Kona/Banshee/ANYTHING into a decent racebike if you modify it enough (I don't have anything against those companies mentioned, just using them as examples because none of them build "real" racebikes).

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Barel took a stock frame and drilled some holes in it. Thats a lot different then what other companies do for thier riders.

Its hard to figure out why people slam kona. You ride thier bikes, and they work. Beat them like an ugly child, they work. Neglect them, abuse them, and they just keep going. The tweak them year after year to suit changing riding styles, without abandoning the design that works so well for them.

How is that bad?