xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
05 ih sunday team frame progressive rear
06 888 rc2x
hayes mag brakes
singletrack laced to abbah front
mag 30 laced to formula rear

right now the bike weighs in at a 47lbs.

What suggestions do you guys have to loose some weight on the bike?

My thoughts.
Middle burn cranks
e13 lg1
a lighter wheelset(suggestions please)

the avy is stillhere, its the back up fork now

Attachments

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I would like to own one as well, but as you know the pgh terrain really doesnt suit a dh bike well...
ditto -> dh bike in pgh -> what's the point? (unless you want to huck some stairs on pitt campus ;) ) otherwise, there's no reason.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
snowskilz said:
06 888 rc2x
hayes mag brakes

My thoughts.
Middle burn cranks
e13 lg1

.....can you get that Avy back on the sled !!:mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :)

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
823's laced to dt swiss hubs bad ass combo. its what im running on my sgs and they went threw a hole season without being demolished. i love them and you can run them tubless to shed even more weight and of course go to ti spring. ohh and go with e13's new lg1 guide as well super light and still performs just as good as the srs. just what i would do man. so love the bike and hope that helped out a little bit on the weight.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
If you want a lighter wheelset I'd go with:

Mavic EX721 32H rims
DT Swiss Champion Straight gauge spokes (14ga.)
Hadley Hubs
2.5" tires

That Mag 30 rear rim is 850g alone! A Mavic EX721 is only 590g...

snowskilz said:
06 888 rc2x
hayes mag brakes

My thoughts.
Middle burn cranks
e13 lg1

-If your running DH tubes switch to welter weights. That is the cheapest way to drop a lb+.
-Switching out the mag30 would be the next thing I would do, the wight in the wheels is the most important cause of the way its levearaged.
-Ti springs are $200 and get you about 1/2-3/4 lb
-Check out the mojo 999R kit with ti for the 888, that is one of the things i'll be doing to my bike when they become available. Improved performance and over a lb of weight savings $300E

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
which we both used to do hahahah...
indeed, but for the last couple years I was on a hardtail... it was much more fun that way.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
S.K.C. said:

Mavic EX721 32H rims
Hadley Hubs
2.5" tires

That Mag 30 rear rim is 850g alone! A Mavic EX721 is only 590g...
how are your experiences with the 721's?

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
julians top 3 weight saving tips
#1. rims and tubless (ghetto tubes and maby rhynolite xl's ive run those with no problem and there super light) will save you about a pound per wheel for the tubeless & and another pound on the rear rim
#2. new seat and post (thompson belair combo or just a lighter i beam saddle)
#3. put the avy back on !!!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I've never ridden 721's but, I'm ordering a new set for my Demo 8 this year for racing.

Everyone from Steve Peat to a lot of the sponsored riders on this site use them, and from what I've heard from people who know - they are pretty tough.

Put it this way - if I didn't think they'd hold up to serious DH abuse i wouldn't put them on my bike.

If you want more info, try Acadian - he has a lot of experience with them.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Tubes: Go XC or tubeless

Tires: 2.5s max

Seat: I-Fly I-beam

Rims: Singletracks or Rhyno Lite XLs

Spokes: 14/15g DT Comp

Nips: Alloy DT

Hubs: Marzocchi F, whatever R

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
721's are fantastic rims - that's pretty much all I use right now.

For an even lighter race rim you could use DT 5.1’s – I think they are close to 500g, but I can’t comment on their durability. I you want something that lasts just don’t get DT 6.1’s or that new wheelset!!

The Sunday I’ve been riding has a set of DT 2350 Wheelset (Wheelset uses 6.1d rims).

Just as a little background:
- This was my first time running non-Mavic rims
- Barely weigh 150lbs even when rigged up!
- I usually run either a 2.5”or 2.7”tire on the front – at Bootleg I had a 2.5”. Preferred front tire pressure: between 24psi and 26psi
- For this test I also had a 2.5 on the back as well. Preferred rear tire pressure: between 26psi and 29psi

Before being sent to me, the Sunday had only been ridden a few times at the Interbike on-dirt demo. It had no more than 2-3 runs on it, but the rims already showed a few minor dings. There were 2 dings on the back rim and one on the front.

Back in Jan. I did a little trip to Bootleg Canyon, NV and after 2 days of riding the rims were pretty beat up! The rear rim had like 6-7 really bad dings and the front had at least a good 4-5 (few of them probably came from Kidwoo ;)), which required me to fix them by straightening the sidewalls and re-truing them. This was surprising considering my personal DH wheelset barely has any dings, and that’s after a full year of DHing at NorthStar at Tahoe, where trails are INFESTED with rocks. On the other hand, I was also surprised at how true the wheel stayed, even with so many dings.

I really love the width tho – they are wider than the 721’s and give you a nice tire profile! When I run a 2.7” on my Mavic rims, the profile isn’t that great. The flatter profile in the DT rims was nice. The wheelset is also pretty light, which is appealing.

If you’re a hard core racer – this wheelset is nice since the rim will bend and perhaps prevent any chances of pinch flatting – thus giving you better chances of finishing your race run.(but two weekends ago when I was last at Bootleg I did manage to pinch flat) But if you just like to ride and don’t want to be bothered with fixing your equipment after every weekend of riding, these might not be the best rim/wheelset for you.

The older 823's I didn't have much luck with them when I ran them on my DHR. But wouldn't mind giving them another try! Believe it or not, I’m still running an old 4 year old Mavic D3.1 rim on the front of my DH bike and it’s still going strong.

The 823’s is a bit wider than the 721 but also heavier. If you don’t plan on running any tire wider than 2.5 and if you don’t plan on running tubeless go for strong 721’s or TRY DT 5.1’s.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Why run 14 gauge? 14-15's hold up great for un entire season. (Not that the weight savings will be noticable....... :clue:

S.K.C. said:

Mavic EX721 32H rims

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Snowskils....Nice!
Cant tell from the pic..are you running regular crowns or flat ones? If they are the standards...hows that height? Tks

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Edgy said:
Snowskils....Nice!
Cant tell from the pic..are you running regular crowns or flat ones? If they are the standards...hows that height? Tks
Flats. and they come standard from what i was told. So far the fork rocks. havent dh'ed it yet but rode some dual slalom on it and it is one smooth fork!

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
ok so 721's rock is what i am getting from the thread here. How about if you run a 2.7? will it fit?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Why run 14 gauge? 14-15's hold up great for un entire season. (Not that the weight savings will be noticable.......
Heh - yup, I've already figured the weight savings of a 32H set of DT Champions (straight) vs. DT Competition (double butted). It's about 31g per wheel, and I ran DT Comps last year in my rear wheel, but I just prefer the added security of straight gauge spokes. Hill and a lot of pros run them from time to time, so why not?

A 2.7 will fit on a 721, but you are really pushing the limits of what a 2.7 can hold onto. Like all Mavic rims their is a code to their rim labeling system: An EX721 breaks down like this: the first digit denotes the grade or quality of the rim, 7 being in the middle. The last 2 digits denote the inner rim width in millimeters. This is NOT to be confused w/ the outer width that some companies throw around. The inner width is what matters b/c that's where the tire bead will seat.

A 21mm wide rim is really curving the tread profile of a 2.7 - some would say too much for their liking. It pushes up the center of the tread and pulls in the sidewalls. This is great for cornering b/c the outer edges of the tread are pulled out to the sides more, but the contact patch for the tread in its neutral position (standing straight up and down, perpendicular to the ground) is reduced a bit.

At the beginning of 05' Hill was running 721's w/ a 2.7 Maxxis before he I.H. picked up DT. You can do it - but a 2.5 would be a better match.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
went to the bike shop tonite and weighed the bike. came in at 43.7. guess its time to get a new scale for home.

ordered some rims and getting a WTB 12x150 hub. hopefully i can shed a lil over a lb off with the new lighter rear wheel.

thanks for all your ideas guys!