Quantcast

06 stinky upgrades

bikejunkie6

Chimp
Sep 14, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I have plenty of money to spend. My main thing is that I want a bike that can still be pedaled. I end up ride alone a lot and need to get myself to the top of the mountain. My headset also busted yesterday so that might be a good spot to start haha.

mellow_sparky

Monkey
Aug 21, 2009
Washington State
I think Kona goes cheap on wheels for their stock bikes (though they have gotten a bit better) - you might consider a handbuilt wheel-set. You can save some weight here and you can get something stiffer and stronger than what the bike came with.

psychobiker

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
charlotte nc
i upgraded mine with a chriss king headset, marzochhi 888 rc3, fsa gravity gap crank(22/32), e-13 drs, got the 07 ricker links from kona to stiffen up the rear, went with a non qr seat post collar and thomson seat post, and top it off with sunline v 1 bar. the longer front end has helped with the high speed stability.

creddy

Chimp
Sep 2, 2009
Fresno, CA
My opinion would be to get a good single crown fork. Fox's 36 series is amazing, and has great dampening. The Rockshox Totem, which has the same axle to crown height as the 36, and an additional inch of travel, would be a great choice as well. They'll be in the same price range, but the Totem would probably be a little better for freeride. The 36 would pedal much better, as well as be a little lighter. If you get the Rockshox, don't get a King headset, as Rockshox's steer tubes seem to make a lot more noise with King. Cane Creek makes some killer headsets for a lot cheaper, with better reliability.

Getting a new rear shock will also be a great upgrade, and will give you loads more traction. The DHX series is the way to go. The new RC4 looks very promising as well. Rockshox has the Vivid, which many people claim to feel better than the DHX, but I haven't seen too many people compare it to the RC4 yet.

Wheels and tires will make probably the most noticable difference. A light set of wheels, with tires with lots of tread, will make the biggest difference, and benefit you the most in the long run. Having a lighter set of wheels allows to you brake faster, accelerate faster, and you can even get a loud hub, and be super badass. :thumb:

creddy

Chimp
Sep 2, 2009
Fresno, CA
Huh? I have a King headset with a RS Domain. No noise.
Not all of them do, but some do. My buddy's Boxxer with King headset creaks like a bat outta' hell. My Boxxer and my Reba both creaked a lot. Repacking with Philwood grease helped for about a month, then it started again. Maybe it's just a Boxxer problem.

creddy

Chimp
Sep 2, 2009
Fresno, CA
Coil has a much smoother feel over air. Air feels great, but it ramps up quick, you have to sit pretty far in the sag to use all the travel like you would on a coil fork. Coil is half a pound heaver, but is still loads lighter than any dual crown fork. If you're going to be doing DH and FR mostly, coil is your best bet because it's the most linear, feels the best, and requires less maintenance than air. Air can also heat up fairly quick in rough conditions, and the performance of the fork decreases.

bikejunkie6

Chimp
Sep 14, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
So I've been looking around at wheelsets and Jenson is having a pretty nice deal on azonic outlaws. Good or bad you guys think? I've read great things and horrible things about them in the reviews.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
solid but weighty, if you can afford it hope hubs with mavic rims are a strong, light and not super expensive option