Quantcast

'07 888 ATA vs. '08 888 ATA

Nov 16, 2007
Pretty basic...

I'd like to hear anything and everything you have to say about each and if/why one may be better than the other.
I know the '08 888's are supposed to be stiffer, is the valving actually better or is it more so just marketing tactics?

As for the '07 888 SL ATA, once the mod is done to fix the ATA issue is the fork pretty reliable? ANY issues with leaking air or blowing up the internals, etc???

Anyone know the real weight of each?
How about the weight of the '08 888 RC3?

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Old school claims his 07 SL is 6.7 pounds with steerer tube, axle and upper crown.
I just bought the 07 over the 08 for several reasons. I don't want to be a guinea pig, 08's are Taiwan made, the chrome stantions on the 08 wont be as durable as the black anodized, and the larger the stantion the thinner the walls (will it dent easy like a 40?) Not to mention I saved a 3 to 4 hundred dollars going with the 07.
The ATA is easy to fix/dissable, when they are set up properly they work awesome and they seem reliable.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
But if the weight of the fork also went up a decent amount as i think it did, wouldn't the stanchions be thicker to make up for this weight rather than be proportionate to the old ones?

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
08 ata is 6.8ish lbs with the top crown, no stem. Mine is still sitting on my floor so I can't give you a ride report but it sure as **** looks cooler than the 07.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
Old school claims his 07 SL is 6.7 pounds with steerer tube, axle and upper crown.
I just bought the 07 over the 08 for several reasons. I don't want to be a guinea pig, 08's are Taiwan made, the chrome stantions on the 08 wont be as durable as the black anodized, and the larger the stantion the thinner the walls (will it dent easy like a 40?) Not to mention I saved a 3 to 4 hundred dollars going with the 07.
The ATA is easy to fix/dissable, when they are set up properly they work awesome and they seem reliable.
No Claims. Just the facts. There's enough misinformation out there without me adding to it.

It was actually 6.6 but I tacked on a little for possible scale error.

Boxxer WC and 07 888 ATA SL.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=92587&d=1190407190

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=92588&d=1190407190

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
that is not chrome of the stantions but a nickel coating that is suppose to be extra slick and is normally very durable, even more so than hard ano.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
From various threads I've come across it seems you really like the '07 ATA. Have you had any issues as far as reliability, air leaking, etc?
Other then the ATA wind down (which I fixed with Renegades help) and time spent figure out the air settings, it's been absolutely trouble free.

Did the entire MSC series except Keystone a couple g3's and lots of practice days and Keystone and Solvista. Zero problems. Put air in it and forget it. No pressure loss problems. I finally just changed the oil at the end of the season. That's been the only maintenance.

I think if you read multiple threads about this fork, you'll find that most the people that think it's crap, basically tried it for short period of time, never really got it setup right or even really took it out and raced it a few times. Before selling it and announcing to the world that it sucks. The guys who kept it and spent the time to set it up correctly and get it broken in, generally love it.

I personally like it much more then the Boxxer WC, which you can see from my pic's in the other post, I did in fact have one, so I'm not speaking out my a$$. No gripes about the Boxxer, I just like the 888 better, especially if you're a bigger guy.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
that is not chrome of the stantions but a nickel coating that is suppose to be extra slick and is normally very durable, even more so than hard ano.
I've heard otherwise, but would like to hear some feedback from those who maybe have the 07 WC to see how they made out last year.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ive got a 07 888WC (over a year on it) with nicle stanchions and aside of a ding in my stanchion its super smooth, no peeling or flaking and yes it withstands abrasions better than ano (I used to work at an ano shop typeII and III)
The stanchions are fine I changed my oil 4 days ago and no flakes there either ot under the crowns etc... ALL IS GOOD! :thumb:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Cobra have the same problem but I'm inclining towards 07 because I don't see too much rc3 as an inprovement, it's heavier and more expensive. The nickel stanctions are not worth the extra $$$ (especially that it weights around 7lbs)

FoesDWLink

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
South Side LA
Just received mine, 2008 888 ata, cut the steerer, fitted a star nut and put them on the scales. Came out a 6.85lbs, my old Fox 40 rc2's were 7.03 on the same scales with cut steerer, star nut and brake adapter.
Running 100psi in the top and 130psi in the par and they feel pretty good already.
Out for some runs tomorrow.
Looks like they have fixed the ATA wind down problem too.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I just picked up a 2007 ATA brand new on eBay for $600 shipped. Unfortunately it is still sitting in the box but from what I've read on MTBR once the ATA springs are replaced it is very trouble free.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I have on 07 WC and have had no problems with the nickel plating. I did manage to scuff it, but the scuff has stayed the same and given me no problems. I think people had problems with the nickel plated Boxxers a few years ago which kind of gave nickel plating a bad name for some, but if I remember right that was a slightly different process.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I've got an 07 WC too. They do seem to show the scuffs fairly easy, but it's just asthetics. It feels damn good.

ive been hacking every day on a 07 ATA for about three months now and other than the wind down, which i disabled, it has been an awesome performer!
Sully told me that the fork needed a rebuild pretty badly before he sent it down to me, and i have yet to get it rebiult... it still performs awesome!
i messed with the air trying to get it perfect for a day or two and once i got it there, the thing fells just about un-bottomable yet very plush and supple... the progressivity kicks in really hard at about 6" through the travel, but thats just the way i set it up, you can do whatever you want with air...

as for the 08, weeelll, i may ride a Rotec but far from rich!!!:busted:

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
meh i think the fork blows. spent two weeks dialing it in with the head marz canadain techs multiple times everyday and could nver get it to work well for serious hard riding/racing. would work fine for dh, but would bottom so harshly if set up properly. if set up not to bottom it would suck for everything but big hits. granted i am 185 and ride hard but even after those 2 weeks and another month of messing with the fork everyday w/ pressures and settings @ whistler it never felt right so traded it for an rc2x and have no problems with it. giving the 08 ata a try this year, supposedly much better

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Update........ I've now been using mine on our shuttle trails. No wind down, and the thing works extremely well (07 888sl ata) smooth as butter. I get 6.5 to 7 inches of travel on a trail with fast sections and no massive hits. We have those trails but they're still icey, so we'll see how it will work there. So far I love it for DH and I'll be racing with it all year.
I'm 200 and have settled on 95 in the SFA and 110 in the PAR with zero clicks of compression and 4 clicks of rebound.
I have a 07 66 RC2X I use for freeride/trail use so I have a direct comparison to that damponning system and love both. The 888 sl seems to be a little more progressive but it also has 20mm of extra travel.