Quantcast

07 888 Ata

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I have a chance to get a brand new 07 888 sl ata. I have a 07 66 RC2X on my Faith and want a triple just for racing DH. The ATA is light....I know the claimed 6.4 pounds is without a steerer tube, and has had some reliability issues (auto wind down), but does that happen to all ATA's, or just an few isolated incidences? What is the real weight of one of these with a steerer tube?
I'm thinking it might be a realy good alternative to a Boxxer WC or a 40 RC2, which both require tones of service. Even if I have to send it back, it will probably just be the one time.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
Mine with a cut steerer is 6.7lbs with axle, correct amount of oil and top crown but not the stem.

If you want the ATA, it can be fixed. Do a search for a post by Renegade, giving all the info on the fix. Can't remember if it's here on RM or MTBR. Basically it uses longer, stiffer springs so that the "clicks" are more solid. Worked for me.

If you don't need the ATA, just remove the springs and tighten down the grub screws and you're set.

Don't believe all the negative press on this fork. Sure, it has a couple problems out of the box, but they are minor, cheap and easy to fix. Once it's dialed, fork kicks a$$. Mine son had a WC Boxxer air and I much prefer my 888 SL.

Get the air set right and you will be able to bottom the fork, even with the PAR chamber still intact.

Just a side note. You mentioned reliability issues. This fork is solid in that regards. Yes it has couple issues out of the box. But I raced mine all last year. The entire MSC series except Keystone and a couple G3's here in Colorado. Beat the crap out of it all season long. Didn't have to do a thing to this fork all season. It didn't even need air added. EVER. I changed the oil a month ago and that's been it. Ready for next season. It now feels better then ever :thumb:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I really have no interest in the ATA function, as I have a 66 RC2X for trail and freeriding. So the concept of dissabling the ata is a attractive one. Removing thos esprings would drop its weight too.
Good stuff. Anybody else have any experiences???

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
Matt, that is the post for PAR piston removal. Good info if you're looking to remove the PAR. Personally, I haven't found it necessary.

The ATA repair is a more recent post. The nice thing is, he gives the link to where you get the springs that will fix the self adjusting problem. I did the fix myself, but don't remember off the top of my head where I got the 'em. I do have some extras if anyone needs 'em.

Looks like Bifff isn't interested in the ATA repair. Understandable; given the forks purpose.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
The above thread discribes how to remove the PAR, and Old school describes how to dissable the ATA.
I took from the renegade thread that removing the PAR allowes you achieve full travel and smoother performance. The fork wont get full travel without this mod????

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
... I do have some extras if anyone needs 'em.
I need some!
I contacted the spring place. They won't ship out of the country unless I buy a pallet full, for a ridiculous amount of money.
Bastards won't put 4 springs in an envelope...

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
I need some!
I contacted the spring place. They won't ship out of the country unless I buy a pallet full, for a ridiculous amount of money.
Bastards won't put 4 springs in an envelope...
Zahgurim,

Are you in South Korea? Let me know. I'll find out how much to ship you some.

You should only need 3 not 4.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I actually only need two for my 888, had her apart already to play with...
Hoping for 4, to fix my buddy's fork as well. :)

I'll PM you my addy to figure out shipping costs.

Thanks!!!

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Damn good info, by a smart guy.
Thank you for the compliment! It's amazing what you can figure out on your own when you're motivated to do so.

Yes, if you don't need to adjust the travel on the fork, the detent screws can be removed entirely, and the two grub screws can be turned in enough to engage the detents on the inner ata shaft, and lock it in place. Eseentially, you can lock the fork into whatever travel setting you want to use. Just make sure the set screws engage the detents in the shaft.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Removing those springs would drop its weight too.
Dont get your hopes set too high on saving weight by taking out the springs. They're super small, probably around 1/4" long or so. The fix is really simple. The only bummer about it is that when you're purchasing the springs from the company they charge a flat shipping rate of about $10 to start out with so you end up spending about 16 bucks in all for the springs but then again you get like 10 of them. The ata is a great fork though so you should definitely go with it. The wind down issue is a small fixable one. I'm actually thinking about locking out my fork at 8 inches too to just eliminate that completely. Set it and forget it.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I lost out on the one I was looking at. Our 08 race season doesn't start untill may so I have time to find another.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Wooo Hoooo. I found another one, brand new in the Box 888 Sl for $699 ($692 CDN) She's on the way.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Welll. It'll be on my bike for days at the hill and racing, probably 10 to 15 of them next year, where the 66 will be my everyday beater, jump, huck whatever fork. So it wont see as much use. I think most of the reliability issues stem from the ATA, which I will be defeating in the first 2 seconds I have it. 8 inches all the way.