Quantcast

07 Boxxer Team Help

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Hey guys. I was hoping someone could help with a Boxxer prob. Riding it a few days ago something happened and i began blowing through all of my travel under my own weight, (at a standstill) but then it tops out when released!!!
One mate said broken stanction....no sign of anything wrong there. I thought for a sec maybe broken spring.....thats fine too.

Anyone out there got any suggestions a to what may be wrong! Nothings shouting at me with it.

Thanks

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
loss of both comp and rebound damping says loss of damping oil.

Check the right side...pull the motion control and see if you still have 150ml of oil.

I have heard of a couple newer boxxers where the circlip on/in the bottom of the stanchion tore out of its groove in the inside of the stanchion itself (via top out force). That would allow the damper oil to pour into the lowers.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
loss of both comp and rebound damping says loss of damping oil.

Check the right side...pull the motion control and see if you still have 150ml of oil.

I have heard of a couple newer boxxers where the circlip on/in the bottom of the stanchion tore out of its groove in the inside of the stanchion itself (via top out force). That would allow the damper oil to pour into the lowers.
Yup. My money's on this. Happened to me twice in the last six weeks. Sram warrantied it both times, but it was a pain in the ass. Pull the lowers. If your damping rod falls out in the process, you'll need to be sending your fork back.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Thanks for the help guys....unfortunately it's not the circlip! Something iwas curious of to but all that seems fine. Gunna check for lack of oil today as it makes total sense. Just been lazy and haven't checked it yet!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
How much oil came out of the lower legs when you pulled them off to check the circlip?

It's just not logical if you had damping before and all of a sudden lost it all, and there's no oil leaked anywhere.

Maybe the rebound piston came unscrewed or something... the spring leg would still hold it all together, that's the only way I can think of where you could have oil in the damper (and no leaks) but not have any damping.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
That ^^ is the only other possibility that that I could think of as well...somehow the rebound piston becoming unatached from the shaft...