Quantcast

07 Code problems

DTLogic

Monkey
Aug 16, 2006
South Fla
It seems that after about two days of riding my rear brakes are soft. I rebleed them, two rides later, soft again. This went on for most of last season. :rant: Also, everytime I bleed them the fluid is foggy black. I don't think I 'm burning the fluid because I ride my wife's bike, same trails and 07 codes with no problem. And I also use DOT 5.1 fluid. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
It seems that after about two days of riding my rear brakes are soft. I rebleed them, two rides later, soft again. This went on for most of last season. :rant: Also, everytime I bleed them the fluid is foggy black. I don't think I 'm burning the fluid because I ride my wife's bike, same trails and 07 codes with no problem. And I also use DOT 5.1 fluid. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
happened to mine, i ended up selling them, if you find the solution, post it up

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've seen this before on my own and customers brakes.
Buy a new MC kit, they are pretty cheap, but kind of a pain to install. It seems the seals periodically sh*t themselves in those things.
Once you overhaul your lever it'll be good to go.

DTLogic

Monkey
Aug 16, 2006
South Fla
I've seen this before on my own and customers brakes.
Buy a new MC kit, they are pretty cheap, but kind of a pain to install. It seems the seals periodically sh*t themselves in those things.
Once you overhaul your lever it'll be good to go.
Thanks for the help......I just order the parts today!

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
So have SRAM corrected all the seals issue on their 2009/10 Codes? Answer is YES! Because I have a pair on their way.. lol..

anyways..?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Are these the newer, 60g lighter version? I heard many similar stories about those; My 'original' codes (I think it was 07) are still fine, only ever bled and replaced pads.

Swapped to 10 Saints and dont miss the Codes; they were powerful, these are more betterer.

DTLogic

Monkey
Aug 16, 2006
South Fla
I rebuilt both of the Codes. My new problems are;

Front brake lever takes a looooong time to extend back out after depressing it
Rear brake lever will only depress about 1/10 of the way it should.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I rebuilt both of the Codes. My new problems are;

Front brake lever takes a looooong time to extend back out after depressing it
Rear brake lever will only depress about 1/10 of the way it should.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Are the plastic gear washer/retainers at the end of the piston setup oriented correctly within the lever body?

Those black washers that slide over the adjustment gear have a male keying feature that aligns with a female keying profile in the lever. If you don't install this washer in the correct orientation you essentially jam everything up.

This is probably your problem.

As for the brakes, the wildly inconsistent performance of these could be a few things. I've pulled mine apart and here is what I see as the potential problems.

1) The square o-ring. Notice how the juicy 3,5, code 5 levers use a normal o-ring setup and are much more durable. Knowing SRAM's past problems in properly spec'ing and utilizing even static o-ring seals, I wouldn't be the least surprised if there were issues with this dynamic seal.

2) Bore tolerance. Hey, it could be a 1/2 thousands out of spec? I somehow doubt it though.

3) Bevel Gear setup causing axial piston misalignment.

4) Bevel Gear retaining washer causing misalignment. It's a pretty ugly molded piece. The pin marks on it are raised and there is some flash on the part.

I'm not giving up on these brakes just yet. They allegedly have incredible power if working properly. Hopefully, I can figure out what the problems are with the design and figure out some sort of fix.