Quantcast

'07 Forks, whose thinking what?

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
Amidst the current fork crisis, with every company each having their own problems, what are your thoughts about forks for '07?
What do you think will be the new "hot ticket", what would you want on your own bike and why?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'm going to ride whatever has the most hype coupled with the least actual riding experience so I can be a guinea pig for the industry!

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
what's the crisis? Manipoo sucks as always and Boxxers need rebuilds more often than Marzos. Is that different than usual for 07?

Oh yeah - and 40s look sweet. ;)

-r

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
I really don't see a "fork crisis" going on. Manipoo is just Manipoo, Fox fixed the bottom out issue of the 40, MZ is coming out with some interesting stuff. Boxxer's actually feel good. You really can’t go wrong with any choice.

Really everyone is on the ball for 07.

Freeride - MZ 06 888RC2X

Race - Boxxer WC or if I hear good things about the 888Air I might go with that.

driftsrfun

Chimp
Sep 14, 2006
paradise
ya, the 40 gets better and better, the 07 feels noticably better than the 06 if that is even possible! Fox doesnt do anything unless its the best, so there is no reason to not run a 40, plus if anyone has a problem with them at races, they are always there to fix it!

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
Sorry, not "Crisis" so to speak, but just each with their own problems and comprimises. Guess that is not really any different from the way things have been in the past... It just seems to have caught a lot of the limelight lately...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Sorry, not "Crisis" so to speak, but just each with their own problems and comprimises. Guess that is not really any different from the way things have been in the past... It just seems to have caught a lot of the limelight lately...
No, you are correct - it is a crisis.

Wolf Blitzer is doing a report on it tomorrow night.:biggrin:

'07 Forks, whose thinking what?
Personally - I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 888.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
probably going to replace my 888 with a boxxer of sorts providing i have a dh bike next season. even with the light springs and it built for my weight, the fork just felt like poo. pretty much all of the new boxxers that i have ridden have felt amazing compared to what i was running.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm thinking another Boxxer for me next season. If I can try a 888 Air and I like it I'll consider it but my Boxxer has been good to me save for maintainance issues, but that's OK for me.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
ya, the 40 gets better and better, the 07 feels noticably better than the 06 if that is even possible! Fox doesnt do anything unless its the best, so there is no reason to not run a 40, plus if anyone has a problem with them at races, they are always there to fix it!
Yeah I'll be running a 40 next season (actually same one for the 3 rd season)

So what did Fox change on the 40's?

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Yup. The bottom out cone (I guess) is just different to give it more resistance at the end. Other than that it's the same internally.
Weird I asked the fox guy at Crankworx (the older guy think he's been doing the circuit a few yrs) if I could send r in to get it to ramp up more like the new ones do, and he said they haven't changed a thing since they came out. I hear a different story every time....lol

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
does this meen no spring in the team conversion? I wonder if that would be the way to go. I Cant decide between a WC and Team.
Yes. The only difference between the Team and WC is that the WC has different graphics and an air as oppossed to coil spring.

You need a new honed stancion and a Solo Air kit, then your Team is basically a WC sans graphics for cheaper.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Weird I asked the fox guy at Crankworx (the older guy think he's been doing the circuit a few yrs) if I could send r in to get it to ramp up more like the new ones do, and he said they haven't changed a thing since they came out. I hear a different story every time....lol
The forks HAVE some changes for 2007. As mentioned, the bottom out system is completely different, and much more customizeable.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Thanks for clearing that up. That will make the 40 pretty much unbeatable.

Word
Ya, it was designed for the heavier guys who want a less linear fork. From what I understand however, it still comes in the stock place, so will need to be adjusted.

I never had any real complaints about it, but then again I also run a ridiculously light weight spring I got hooked up with. I like my fork SOFT. Even then, I only bottom it out once or twice a run.

edit: to be clear, i am not sure if it is user serviceable or not. I know 2006 was not, but 2007 i have heard various rumours, and haven't pulled mine apart to check.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Ya, it was designed for the heavier guys who want a less linear fork. From what I understand however, it still comes in the stock place, so will need to be adjusted.

I never had any real complaints about it, but then again I also run a ridiculously light weight spring I got hooked up with. I like my fork SOFT. Even then, I only bottom it out once or twice a run.

edit: to be clear, i am not sure if it is user serviceable or not. I know 2006 was not, but 2007 i have heard various rumours, and haven't pulled mine apart to check.
Ah just what I thought! Fox heard the complaints and did something about it, even though in reality the original set-up is optimum for most riders anyway. Man I love Fox! It's freaky though cause it seem like all 4 of the suspension manufactures are really in tune with what the riders want for 07, where as a couple of yrs ago is was hit and miss.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ya they can't just go and ignore that many people complaining. Ideally, the way it comes is probably the best setup for most people. Way too many riders are to worried about bottoming out in a run, they think they should never bottom out, which clearly isn't the case.

in this case, you can simply set it up how you want, but they still ship the way they think it shoud be used (no matter what spring weight you need).

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The only crisis, if there is one at all, is the embarassing amount of good forks and resulting difficulty in making a choice.
Spot on.
Apart from manitou, the big three others have all got topend forks that would perform equally well IMO.

Boxxer WC (2767g, 560mm A-C height, 203mm travel)
888SL ATA (2950g, 578mm A-C height, 200mm travel)
Fox 40RC2 (3120g, 571mm A-C height, 203mm travel)

The 888WC is heavier at 3150g (claimed - I reckon it's more), and IMO there is no point buying one over an SL which is cheaper, lighter, looks better, and won't be plagued by spring rub. I'd love to try it (SL) and I think it'll be a sweet fork for 07.

The Travis feels fine, but a few had damper issues and they seem overly tall too.

The Boxxer is stilll the lightest and lowest fork, has a larger range of compression damping than the competition - and therefore is still the winner IMO. :)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I just rechecked and you'll have to disregard it. The air boxxer likes to sit into its travel 5mm or more at lower pressures it seems, hard to get an accurate A-C measurement. I'm pretty sure the rockshox official figure is 568mm though (can someone confirm)?

But mine is as low as it'll go (wipers are 1-2mm from crown at bottom out) and nowhere near tyre contact from what I could see, so your limiting factor will probably just be the crown/wipers I reckon. I'm running maxxis minion 2.5.