Quantcast

'07 Intense tires

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
While the tread designes are the same it looks like some interesting things are afoot.

FRO lite. 2ply casing with SR50 rubber. The tire they should have made a couple years ago!

http://www.intensetires.com/909_fro_lite.htm

The EX lite look really interesting too. 55/60 dual compund and 2ply and a good amount lighter still.

Anyone have any trail time on these new tires?
Do they peel off knobs still?
I liked Intense tires, but the FRO's were too damn heavy, and the EX's had rock hard rubber

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
Yep, I've got lots of time in on them. I've had no problems with knobs peeling off at all. The rubber seems better too. To the best of my knowledge, the knob peeling probs of a few years ago were a storage issue for the most part.

Although I'll still run the regular FRO's at certain races (Vermont, Idaho, etc), these Lites are a great addition to their lineup and are lighter than comparable two-ply offerings from their competitors.

Haven't got my grubby little hands on the dual-compound ex lite stuff yet.

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
I think I'll be using these for sure next year. I'd like to get a lot of time on them early and play with tube/tubeless options and see what's going to work too.

I love the Edge. Really hooks up, and a good size too. I've also used the Intruder and its a nice compromise between a Swamp Thing and Wet Scream. I don't think you can ever go wrong with the original DH either.

Its December and I'm psyched to get back out and ride!

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
tried the edge fro lights during the season. I found i couldn't run xc tubes with them as the side walls where too thin. Was pinchflatting all the time. So switched back to high rollers after a few weeks of getting pissed of with them. Have since stuck them on my trailbike and they seem to be a bit more at home there

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I love how intense and maxxis continue to blatantly knock off michelin tires......(cough cough....comp 32)......ah well....imitation is the highest form of flattery
...and michelin doesn't offer the comp32 in NOTF***INGHUGE so who cares right?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
There are only so many tread patterns that work effectively and aren't gimmicky. It is really no surprise that they knock off each other's designs and just try and develop their own compounds.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
I love how intense and maxxis continue to blatantly knock off michelin tires......(cough cough....comp 32)......ah well....imitation is the highest form of flattery
Maybe Michelin should return the favour and copy some of the Maxxis and Intense construction techniques into their Comp 16 so it won't pinch flat all the time or better still help it from ripping up it's weak sidewalls.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Maybe Michelin should return the favour and copy some of the Maxxis and Intense construction techniques into their Comp 16 so it won't pinch flat all the time or better still help it from ripping up it's weak sidewalls.
How much PSI are you running? I have never in my 8 years of running the Comp 16 Pinch flated one. Plus I have ran them tubeless the last 2 years. No problems.

Remember you get the best performance out of the Michelins when you run 25psi to 28psi in them. All the Michelin DH tires are designed to give the best performance cornering, rolling resistance, and grip in that range.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
I will have to say we have been trying to push the guys to build a Comp 32 in a 2.2 to 2.5 for a long time. It would be my dream tire. They feel that the Comp 24 cut already does the job. So no go for now.:banghead:

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
How much PSI are you running? I have never in my 8 years of running the Comp 16 Pinch flated one. Plus I have ran them tubeless the last 2 years. No problems.

Remember you get the best performance out of the Michelins when you run 25psi to 28psi in them. All the Michelin DH tires are designed to give the best performance cornering, rolling resistance, and grip in that range.
I have tried them both with and with out tubes with between 25 and 35 PSI and the results have been the same on our rocky and rough courses at Bromont and Mt.Ste Anne. I have four Comp 16 tires sitting in my garage with holes in them from running tubless all with less than two days of riding on them.
I also know of another top pro who was sponsored by Michelin up here two years ago who managed to pinch flat an amazing 13 times during two days of practice runs prior to a race at Camp Fortune.
He finally gave up and put on an Intense tire for race day and went on to win the race.
Don't get me wrong I want to like the Comp 16 I think it has great traction in the wet and grips like hell, it just needs a littlle more beef so it can survive some of the rough courses we run around here.

Also looks like not to many WC teams are using them anymore either not sure why that has happened can't imagine Michelin not wanting to sponsor teams at that level.

bElliott

Chimp
Sep 5, 2006
hmm...and this threadwas about intense tires...

intense didnt copy the michelin comp 32. they both copied just a standard front moto tread basically

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Also looks like not to many WC teams are using them anymore either not sure why that has happened can't imagine Michelin not wanting to sponsor teams at that level.

Actually from what I have heard it is once again Michelin France putting a damper on things. From what I understand the Michelin Bicycle division in North America operates on a pretty small budget. Word has it they were approached by by a pretty large profile team, so they went to the French Bicycle Division to see if they could get some additional help and the French turned them down.

The tires really are legit. I could not immagine running anything else. The biggest thing is that you just cannot blindly run tire pressures. The vast majority of people that I see flatting them had no idea what pressure they were running. If I have the 16 or 24 in the back I typically run 26-28 psi. That is with a tube in the rear.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
I will have to say we have been trying to push the guys to build a Comp 32 in a 2.2 to 2.5 for a long time. It would be my dream tire. They feel that the Comp 24 cut already does the job. So no go for now.:banghead:
They did make a Comp 32 in 2.5. I hear it sucked.

That, and I've flatted Michys at 35 PSI before, there not gods gift to tires. Ride Maxxis.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Wow, this thread fully derailled and slammed into a passenger train....casulties are heavy.

So...how about them Intense tires?

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO

That, and I've flatted Michys at 35 PSI before, there not gods gift to tires. Ride Maxxis.
Nah, youre wrong. They never made a 32 in a 2.5. They did have a pretty cool tire in a 2.4 . I think it was called the comp 30? Maybe the comp 12? Really small blocky knobs, really fast rolling.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
if i run the FRO 2-plys tubeless with a stans or similar system will they work?
or are they so thin they will tear/pinch(like michelins)?

also- I smash into things instead of going around.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Nah, youre wrong. They never made a 32 in a 2.5. They did have a pretty cool tire in a 2.4 . I think it was called the comp 30? Maybe the comp 12? Really small blocky knobs, really fast rolling.
I could've sworn Transcend had a proto or something that looked exactly like it.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Actually from what I have heard it is once again Michelin France putting a damper on things. From what I understand the Michelin Bicycle division in North America operates on a pretty small budget. Word has it they were approached by by a pretty large profile team, so they went to the French Bicycle Division to see if they could get some additional help and the French turned them down.

The tires really are legit. I could not immagine running anything else. The biggest thing is that you just cannot blindly run tire pressures. The vast majority of people that I see flatting them had no idea what pressure they were running. If I have the 16 or 24 in the back I typically run 26-28 psi. That is with a tube in the rear.

Well we have been running them at those and higher pressures without success. Do your self a favour and try a Maxxis Minion triple compound tubless, ran that all last year with out a single failure and I can't say the same thing about Michelins.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002

Nope they didn't make a 2.5" like the Comp 32.

Yes, you are right on. It was a 2.4" that had a very wide tread pattern with small low knobs. Nothing like the Comp 32. It was designed for fast rolling. Michelin stopped making it like 6 or 7 years ago. I still have 3 of them in my pile of tires.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
good luck running a FRO casing tubeless. I had a hard time getting it to inflate with a big aircompressor and air tank along with my special fill system that dumps a ton of air quickly. Go ahead and try it with a floor pump. ;)

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
good luck running a FRO casing tubeless. I had a hard time getting it to inflate with a big aircompressor and air tank along with my special fill system that dumps a ton of air quickly. Go ahead and try it with a floor pump. ;)
with a casing that burly I could see that being a problem.

What about mounting a tube and inflating it for a couple days to "mold" it to shape? I've heard that helps

I bet the FRO lites may be easier to setup tubeless.

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
Yes, you are right on. It was a 2.4" that had a very wide tread pattern with small low knobs. Nothing like the Comp 32. It was designed for fast rolling. Michelin stopped making it like 6 or 7 years ago. I still have 3 of them in my pile of tires.
Ditto! I have a spanking new set as well. been saving em for the right track but never seem to get around to using em. They get chewed pretty easily.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
I did however figure out a way to stop flatting on Michelins... switch to Maxxis. Havent flatted at a race in 3 years.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
put them in the oven; a large 30" oven. And while we're derailled...

...DW-Link vs. Maestro, which is less flexy?:poster_oops:

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
Karl, I know you have a lot of cons vis-a-vis the Comp 16, but I've run them tubeless all year long, and never had a flat, same with my other wheelset mounted with Comp24. 26 to 28 psi seems to be the key.

I think James must be just too rough on his tires...just like Charles was!!!;)
How stoke is he to ride the mighty Horse next year?
It seems we will both spend times in the IH booth at races!!!

As for Intense lite tires, I'm sure they will put Intense tires back in the tire game, some of their tread are really good to work with.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO

I really like that tire. I still have two in the shed right now. I had three, but I ran one of them for a few races this summer. I tried talking Steve into convincing France to make some more but it does not sound like it is going to happen.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Karl, I know you have a lot of cons vis-a-vis the Comp 16, but I've run them tubeless all year long, and never had a flat, same with my other wheelset mounted with Comp24. 26 to 28 psi seems to be the key.

I think James must be just too rough on his tires...just like Charles was!!!;)
How stoke is he to ride the mighty Horse next year?
It seems we will both spend times in the IH booth at races!!!

As for Intense lite tires, I'm sure they will put Intense tires back in the tire game, some of their tread are really good to work with.
Hey, Salut....

Well you know we just did not have the same problems with Maxxis Tires so it's easier to change tires than his riding style.

Yup, he is really excited about riding a Sunday for Iron Horse next year, should be a lot of fun with the gang ... just like last year!

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Well we have been running them at those and higher pressures without success. Do your self a favour and try a Maxxis Minion triple compound tubless, ran that all last year with out a single failure and I can't say the same thing about Michelins.
Ive tried Minion DHF and didnt like them at all for some reason. They just felt wierd and akward. It was the 2.5 ST, not set up tubeless. The High Rollers Ive tried were allright but I am still partial to my Comp 32 Michi. That tire rules all.