Quantcast

07 reba race 100mm bottoming out half thru travel?

Feb 17, 2009
I have an 07 rockshox reba race fork. A week ago i lost my lock out feature and also the fork started bottoming out about half way thru its travel. I pulled the shock apart on the lock out compression side so far and can see nothing wrong. I had called sram tech and he told me it was the bottom compression damper seal and that alll my oil leaked out and that is what was causing the problem but the seal seams fine and all the oil was still present when i disassembled it. Im just wondering if anybody out there has any experience with air shocks or a similiar problem and maybe be able too post some suggestions as too what might be the problem, i am a newbie too fixing these kinds of problems. HELP PLEASE!

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Hi,

I have seen this problem on a lot of Reba forks of late.

The SRAM tech is indeed correct, the seal at the bottom has leaked. If you just pull out the Motion Control you will see oil, but not at the correct level.

Pull your outer legs off and I think you will find a substantial amount of oil in the outer right leg.

I don't remember the exact cause right now but I think the problem was the sizing of the nylon insert where the seal o-ring sits at the bottom of the right leg.

This should be a warranty issue so take it up with your LBS before you go all bananas with the spanner and wrench.

Feb 17, 2009
well there was a little oil in the bottom but not an excessive amount, i had too hold the fork upside down for at least a minute too drain the entire top half. but who knows maybe in only takes a little before it stops functioning right.I might just have too refill too proper level with shock oil put it all back together and then see if it works again and if not check the oil in the lower leg again theoretically it should at least work for a few cycles with the right amount of oil till it leaks out. yea one test before the LBS so i dont look like a whiner, really i just like too know how stuff works and how it gets fixed, just hope that curiosity doesn't kill the shock.LOL thanks for your input

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
As soon as the oil level drops from under the Motion Controls bottom seal you will notice a loss of lockout.

If you do refill the fork, double check so you don't have excessive amounts in the outer leg, I guess you know how to remove the outers.

Good luck with the fork! Remember to shut off the lockout before hitting harsh terrain. :)

Feb 17, 2009
yea i have the bottoms off right now and had disassembled the whole compression side of the fork, and like i said there was a little oil in the bottoms of the fork which mostly came out as soon as i removed the bolt on that side for removal of the bottoms. then poured the oil out of the top portion to remove the rod with the two plastic slider pieces with the o-rings on each after taking the snap ring out of the bottom of the compression side of the slider. like i said im going too refill, reassemble and try compressing the fork and see what happens. thanks for your input. you seem too know a bit about this stuff, would you know any reason on the other side the dual air side that might have caused a problem like this in case the compression damping isnt the cause. thanks again

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
This kind of thing does not occur on the air side leg.

But to be sure, depressurize the air side and cycle the piston sticking out of the inner leg up and down to see if it catches anywhere.

While you are at it, remove the top cap and check if there is a layer of oil in the bottom of the air chamber. If not, add 2-3cc of fork oil to ensure that the o-ring around the seal head get's lubed.

I guess you have found your way to the SRAM site, they have the oil levels in a pdf there.