Quantcast

'07 Xtr

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
The new XTR is sooo freakin' hot! Was at a Shimano 07 product presentation and it blows XO out of the water. Details on some of the stuff will be released on April 1st.

Gotta love industry competition!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, but does it have anything to do with downhill?

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
Jm_ said:
Yeah, but does it have anything to do with downhill?
Nothing at all, as shimano said they will forbid the new stuff from being used on dh bikes, similar to what SRAM has done with XO.

They also said that the new technology would never trickle down to other componentry levels.

:rolleyes:

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
I guess you'll have to decide on your own when they release the product line.

How does new XTR NOT have something to do with DH??

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
dropmachine.com said:
Probably in exactly the same way the current XTR really has nothing to do with DH.
Dropmachine, I will agree and disagree with that statement. Current XTR + DH = :nope: but since you haven't seen the new stuff, don't be so quick to judge.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
dhpimp said:
Dropmachine, I will agree and disagree with that statement. Current XTR + DH = :nope: but since you haven't seen the new stuff, don't be so quick to judge.
I seriously doubt that shimano will be recommending XTR for downhill since they came out with the saint line a while back.

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
Jm, i doubt they'll be putting together a marketing campaign aimed towards DH, but the new rapidfire ****er, brake levers, and cranks will definately be used by those who like high performance and weight savings.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Exactly, I can see using the dual-release rapid-fire shifters and hydro levers for DH/FR coupled with Saint calipers or possible even '07 XTR's since they are improved to resist overheating. Also why not use the rear der. since every weight weenie mo fo is running XO which doesn't make any sense but hey it's not always about being completely prudent right? I would never run an XO der for DH but LOTS of guys are doing exactly that.

I can't wait for a non rapid-rise Saint der, that will make Saint finally worth the weight penalty. I can't get the rapid-rise version to shift to a larger gear properly. I believe that is due to the fact that with rapid-rise the derailleur is relying on spring tension to move the chain to a larger cog which really makes no sense at all. When the cable tension is correct for an upshift it never seems quite right for a downshift and vise versa.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I can only speak from the experience I had with my team, but the reason we were running X.0 on our bikes is because the stuff just lasts, in spite of the silly light weight. We did toast one, but it was one hell of an impact that did it.

While the new XTR will undoubtedly be cool, I am gonna bet for DH it falls in line with stuff like Hope Mini's. Yeah you can use it, but only if you're either pro, 110 pounds, or can deal with the lack of performance. As well, I wouldn't like to see its impact resistance ability, which XTR isn't quite known for.

Rapidfires might be cool for sure though. I wouldn't use the cranks for DH though, same as the current ones. Right tool for the job, and all that.

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
ragin-sagin said:
Nothing at all, as shimano said they will forbid the new stuff from being used on dh bikes, similar to what SRAM has done with XO.

They also said that the new technology would never trickle down to other componentry levels.

:rolleyes:

That is funny.....seeing as though you can get a Gary Fisher King Fisher 1 with complete X.0 drivetrain.......shifters and rear derailluer.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
There really is no point in making XTR Dh compatible, that is specifically why they designed Hone and Saint. They will want to push these proprietary systems. Besides, the only XTR part you may want is an XTR derrailleur (due to the mounting system for saint and bike incompatibilities). Everything from brakes to cranks is covered by saint, hone and crankwise, XT.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
That doesn't mean people don't run it for DH, and I didn't think this forum was for sucking up manufacturing babble and regurgitating it.

The RD is the big one. I currently run a midcage 952 (I hoard them) and I think a new high-normal XTR derailleur has been a long awaited item. The 952's were light at 205g and damn difficult to destroy, but with stocks dwindling I think it's time for a reincarnation. Saint is stupid heavy and rapidrise is worthless - to compete with X0 dollar for dollar, gram for gram, XTR has to be the one.

The new hydraulic levers also sound interesting - if superior to the current levers, it'd be something to consider. In any case - i'm definitely interested in hearing about new XTR, and when it hits the shelves, what downhillers think of it.