Quantcast

08 303 weight

May 6, 2004
any ride time on that shock in that frame yet?
Not on 08 yeti.

I have had this shock for few rounds around Cwmcarn here in the UK on 06 Yeti and I must admit it feels very good. I felt planted to the ground, very linear through the whole travel. Mine was set up by the TFTuned guys to my weight, the frame and the fact that I do not really do any freeriding at all. I have had very little time on this combination though.

However, it is not as sweet as you may think. There are fitting issues with this combination. The top mount is OK, no big deal here apart from difficulty to align the frame, the cart mount and the shock eyelet (I must get/make that simple alignment tool for 303 you can see in yeti videos on their website).

The real problem is with the bottom. I removed Fox DHX and it had had the bottom eyelet head slightly filed. The problem is that the eyelet head on RS Vivid is a round one whereas Fox's eyelet head is flat. It means that I had to file quite a lot of the that head on the shock. The shock warranty is probably gone already so if anyone wants to do it, think twice. Alternatively you can file the aluminium part that holds the shock at the bottom cart but I thought it is better to void warranty on £300 shock than on £2800 frame.

The bike will not be ridden until the Yeti Tribemeet 2008 so I cannot comment on how the new frame will perform, but I think it will be the same.

May 6, 2004
This is what I am building for the UK Yeti Tribemeet mid June 2008:

Frame: 2008 Yeti 303 small
Forks: Fox 40RC2 - white/turquoise/black (pics to come once the paintjob is done)
Shock: RS Vivid with 550lb spring

Wheel set:
Front Hub: DT Swiss 440s powdercoated turquoise
Rear Hub: DT Swiss 440s powdercoated turquoise
Rims: Mavic EX823
Spokes: DT Swiss SuperComp DB and DT Swiss Brass Pro-Lock Nipples
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 9sp 11-26
Brakes: Formula The One: 220mm Fr/200mm
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace
Rear Shifter: 08 Shimano XTR
Chain: Shimano Dura Ace
Cranks/BB: Shimano Saint
Chainguide: MRP G2 or e13 LG1
Chainring: Shimano Saint Chainring 38t
Seatpost: Thomson Elite Seatpost
Saddle: White Charge Spoon
Headset: Chris King (not decided what colour though)
Stem: Sunline Boxxer Stem
Bars: Easton EA70
Grips: Sunline White Slims
Pedals: Wellgo MG1 White
Tyres: Michelin DH16 front / Michelin DH24 rear
Tubes: tubeless

Any comments?
First picture of my 08 Yeti 303

Any comments or recommendations?

May 6, 2004
chainstay protector + thinner rear tire.
I have two layers of "bike shield" sort of thing, similar to copter tape but much better. The final bike will have different tyres, Michelin DH16 front and DH24 rear.

Sucks those grips will be white for I'd say maybe the first 1/8 of your first ride.
Well, it takes me no time to clean them and I like them so they will probably stay.

loose some headset spacers
Once the bike is ready the steerer tube will be shortened.

I am still waiting for my new wheels. Turqouise DT440 hubs, black DT SuperComp and Mavic 823s. :biggrin:
Once completed I will do some proper photo session and post quality pics.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Awesome!

Have you taken it for a spin yet or are you actually going to be able to lave it alone till the tribe meet?

I just got back from my second race on mine. Everyone asks what I think of it, but I honestly can't answer properly. The first race was the rockiest course I have seen and this second was the muddiest course I have seen. Two-wheel drifts everywhere. Wheels-stopping-rotating kind of mud. I have had no proper ride time on it yet in other words. The lifts are open here now, so I'll go and pick up my lift pass and get some dial-in runs on it....

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Here's a couple of pics from the Rhone Alpes Championships. It was the hottest race in a long time. Also the steepest. Glad the body armour rules were lifted.

Luxury cablecars. padded seats and all.

Bottom looking up.

Halway up, looking down.

Caught up to someone in my racerun. The track was so steep there was nowhere to pass. The poor guy pulled over to let me past and I promptly ran off the track! Grabbed the bike, apologised to him and pinned it to the finish to make up for it. 7th.

Socks & sandles. You'll all be doing it next year...

Last edited:

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Kia Ora bro

Damo you need some crocs dude those fancy sandals don't look so comfy in socks!

Wicked picc's, great veiws and history all right there, cool little towns in Euro, good to see ya flying the colors of home cool ya lucky bugger!

Enjoy man
Chur...

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Cheers buddy. It was a cool weekend.

Strange thing about it though, they opened the chairlifts at 1pm Saturday for practice, then racing started at 9am on Sunday. Only half a day of practice and none on raceday. Weird for a championship event.

PS. You won't catch me in crocs...

May 6, 2004
Damo
I may get lucky and go for a week to Les Arcs. I need your advice regarding the choice of tyres, though. I run Michelin DH16 at front and Michelin DH24 at rear on Mavic 823s. Would be ok for the courses around Les Arcs?
What do you think?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
2.5 Minion (Fr) + 2.5 HighRoller (Rr) is my choice.

I don't know Michies, so I guess their equivalents...

Get Maxxis for the puncture resistance though. In the 7 years I have lived here in Morzine, I have had 2 punctures: 1x with SwampThings (thinner sidewalls) and 1x running over nail. I kid you not. I don't get flats with Maxxis.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Cheers buddy. It was a cool weekend.

Strange thing about it though, they opened the chairlifts at 1pm Saturday for practice, then racing started at 9am on Sunday. Only half a day of practice and none on raceday. Weird for a championship event.

PS. You won't catch me in crocs...
Sweet, yeah that sounds kinda wierd must have been playing with the mind, I always like a couple of runs in the morning before race time:shocked:

Haha I thought you'd say that, the :shocked:hole teams wearing em for Bejing:brows:

Enjoy bro looks like ya having a killa time over there:cheers: