Quantcast

08 303 weight

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
So no headset/fork I would guess, but what about the shock mounting bolts and the shock bushings.

Also, why no shock, :brow: got something up your sleeve?

And where did you get the white 40?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
The frame was weighed straight out of the box. Frame only, rear axle, seat clamp, but no shock hardware. Then pressed the CK headset in and added the cranks.

I got 2x Fox 40RC2 and a DHX5.0 direct from Yeti. I need to fit the shock on once I have the spacers...

I need to wait for the remaining stuff to arrive before building it up. May take a month or two:disgust:

Full build list and weights (weights taken from interweb and digi scales):

Frame: 2008 Yeti 303 5201g
Forks: Fox 40RC2 3168g
Shock: Fox DHX 5.0 w/ ti spring 441g + 361g
Wheel set: Fr Hub: Hope Pro II 177g
Rr Hub: Hope Pro II 299g
Rims: Mavic EX721 577g each = 1154g
Spokes: DT Swiss Revolution DB 416g for 64
DT Swiss Nipple Upgrade Brass Pro-Lock, Black 20g for 64
Cassette: SRAM PG970 9sp 11-26 222g
Brakes: Formula The One 241g + 251g + 423g (2x rotors + adaptor)
Rear Derailleur: ’08 SRAM X.0 Super Short Cage- Carbon 192g
Rear Shifter: ’08 SRAM X.0 trigger 112g with cable
Chain: SRAM PC-991 9sp Hollow Pin 281g (uncut)
Cranks/BB: Gravity Lite MegaExo 828g
Chainguide: E13 LG.1 231g (+57g taco)
Chainring: E Thirteen G-Ring Chainring 36t 44g
Seatpost: Thomson Elite InLine Seatpost, 30.9mm/367mm 255g (uncut)
Saddle: SDG Ti-Fly Titanium 181g
Headset: Chris King 98g
Stem: Thomson Elite X4 MTB Stem, 50mm/0deg/31.8 178g
Bars: Burgtec RideWide 20mm rise 265g
Grips: Sunline Slims 99g
Pedals: Easton Flatboys 572g
Tyres: Maxxis HighRoller 2.35 ST 1075g each = 2150g
Tubes: Maxxis Lightweight 209g each = 418g

Total estimated weight: 18.278kg / 40.27lbs

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Sweet! What size is yours? I just picked up my Large '08 303 on Friday, I'll try and weigh it later tonight or tomorrow!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Thats going to be a killer bike, I dig how the fork matches the front end of the frame.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps

Finally built the bike up once all the remaining parts had turned up. Had been waiting too damn long for everything to arrive. I'd been sitting on the frame for a couple of months and itching to get started.

We built it up on Friday morning, traveled to a race Friday afternoon (arriving late Fri night) and finally got to ride the thing Saturday during practice. Managed five runs of the course with a few changes between each run just trying to get it dialled.

Changes made between runs were instantly noticeable.

The course was great to dial the bike in as there was everything there. I raised the BB to counter the rocks, but left the HA the same by dropping the forks down. The top half of the course was quite tech with evil rocks everywhere (on my very first ride on the bike, one of the rocks smashed up my brand new '08 X.0). The bottom was super pedally (but fun and flowing). So setting up the bike for both parts was tricky. This bike pedals like a 4in cross-country bike. Unbelievable! The rider, however, cannot pedal like a cross-country rider. Time to get some more training in... :huh:

Heading up for a practice run with Matt (CRC-Intense). Check out the cut-off elbowpads. Damn french rules... Also note Tahnee in the background with Claire (Kovarik's GF). 12yo girl who is damn fast. Check out her website to see her take on the race.

My arse

This bike attracted too much attention. I'm not fast enough for that kind of attention...

I wasn't really bothered with a result at this race. Just wanted to test the bike out and get it dialled in for me. They ended up mixing my race times with my qualifying times anyway, putting me in 11th. I would have only been 6th anyway, so just as well I wasn't bothered...

41.09lbs. This weight is with sensible parts. There are the 2.5 Minion/HighRollers, DH tubes, Easton Flatboys... No single-ply, Ti XC pedals, tubeless here. This bike was built to be ridden, not weighed.

The only changes I have to make is to swap the Ti spring for a 450lb Ti. This should balance the rear with the front nicely.

Here's the build spec:

Frame: 2008 Yeti 303
Forks: Fox 40RC2
Shock: Fox DHX 5.0 w/ ti spring
Wheel set:
Fr Hub: Hope Pro II
Rr Hub: Hope Pro II
Rims: Mavic EX721
Spokes: DT Swiss Comp DB
DT Swiss Nipple Upgrade Brass Pro-Lock, Black
Cassette: SRAM PG970 9sp 11-26
Brakes: Formula The One : 200mm Fr/180mm Rr
Rear Derailleur:’08 SRAM X.0 Super Short Cage- Carbon
Rear Shifter: ’08 SRAM X.0 trigger
Chain:SRAM PC-991 9sp Hollow Pin
Cranks/BB:Gravity Lite MegaExo
Chainguide: E13 LG.1 with taco
Chainring:E Thirteen G-Ring Chainring 34t
Seatpost:Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost
Saddle: SDG Ti-Fly Titanium
Headset: Chris King
Stem:Thomson Elite X4, 50mm/0deg/31.8
Bars: Burgtec RideWide 20mm rise
Grips: Sunline Slims
Pedals: Easton Flatboys
Tyres: Maxxis HighRoller 2.5 on the rear/Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 on the front
Tubes: Maxxis

I'll get some proper riding time on this bike before writing a better report.

Many thanks to everyone at Yeti Cycles for sorting this all out for me. Cheers. :cheers:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
that looks amazing man!! awesome lid too!!

if you dont mind me asking, do you actually live and work in morzine?

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Bike looks good, the new colour scheme is far better than the yellow. Is there any differences other than colours? Have they shaved some weight off it?

Were you guys out with Vanessa Quinn last year? Myself & my girlfriend kept bumping into her at various places (and being women & in a relative minority, got chatting) & she was with a few Kiwi guys. Complete stab in the dark, but its a small world sometimes :)

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Loads of differences between '07 and '08 models. Shaved a ton (well, a pound or so) of weight; use of hydra-forming making it lighter and more durable; more refining in the rails/cars; the stabilizing links are enclosing the bearings more, protecting them better... But the best change is the colour & graphics!

As for VQ, it may well have been. She stays at a mate's place nearby.

May 6, 2004
This is what I am building for the UK Yeti Tribemeet mid June 2008:

Frame: 2008 Yeti 303 small
Forks: Fox 40RC2 - white/turquoise/black (pics to come once the paintjob is done)
Shock: RS Vivid with 550lb spring

Wheel set:
Front Hub: DT Swiss 440s powdercoated turquoise
Rear Hub: DT Swiss 440s powdercoated turquoise
Rims: Mavic EX823
Spokes: DT Swiss SuperComp DB and DT Swiss Brass Pro-Lock Nipples
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 9sp 11-26
Brakes: Formula The One: 220mm Fr/200mm
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace
Rear Shifter: 08 Shimano XTR
Chain: Shimano Dura Ace
Cranks/BB: Shimano Saint
Chainguide: MRP G2 or e13 LG1
Chainring: Shimano Saint Chainring 38t
Seatpost: Thomson Elite Seatpost
Saddle: White Charge Spoon
Headset: Chris King (not decided what colour though)
Stem: Sunline Boxxer Stem
Bars: Easton EA70
Grips: Sunline White Slims
Pedals: Wellgo MG1 White
Tyres: Michelin DH16 front / Michelin DH24 rear
Tubes: tubeless

Any comments?

Last edited:

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
This is what I am building for the UK Yeti Tribemeet mid June 2008:

Frame: 2008 Yeti 303 small
Forks: Fox 40RC2 - white/turquoise/black (pics to come once the paintjob is done)
Shock: RS Vivid with 550lb spring

Wheel set:
Front Hub: DT Swiss 440s powdercoated turquoise
Rear Hub: DT Swiss 440s powdercoated turquoise
Rims: Mavic EX823
Spokes: DT Swiss SuperComp DB and DT Swiss Brass Pro-Lock Nipples
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 9sp 11-26
Brakes: Formula Oro Bianco : 220mm Fr/200mm (thinking about Formula the One)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace
Rear Shifter: 08 Shimano XTR
Chain: Shimano Dura Ace
Cranks/BB: Shimano Saint
Chainguide: MRP G2
Chainring: Shimano Saint Chainring 38t
Seatpost: Thomson Elite Seatpost
Saddle: White Charge Spoon
Headset: Chris King (not decided what colour though)
Stem: Sunline Boxxer Stem
Bars: Easton EA70
Grips: Sunline White Slims
Pedals: Wellgo MG1 White
Tyres: Michelin DH16 front / Michelin DH24 rear
Tubes: tubeless

Any comments?
your frame is literally in my hands right now, hehe!

PS, what you doin with your 06 frame. it for sale?
:biggrin:

May 6, 2004
your frame is literally in my hands right now, hehe!
PS, what you doin with your 06 frame. it for sale?
:biggrin:
Yeah, I know. I do appreciate your help :)
Are you back to the UK already?

2006 frame is now on the market, seeing a guy interested on Saturday

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Tatankainlondon:

Have a quick search for Thomson Masterpiece seatposts in the 30.9mm on ebay USA. You can get them for cheaper than the Elite from the UK. Small enough package to slip under the import radar.

Also if you can get The Ones, they are a good bet. Best brakes I have ever ridden. Then you can go for the 200mm/180mm like mine and drop weight there. 220/200 is overkill for today's Formulas.

I haven't ridden in the UK, but I have chosen the 34T chainring for riding over here. There aren't many place to spin out - you'll be tucking and holding on for dear life first. However, a smaller chainring will help get to some more places.

If/when you do come over here, drop me a line. Its always cool to ride with new people and I'll be the DH tour guide.

This goes for any Monkeys coming over in fact.

Can't wait to see your bike built up (esp the Fox40s!). Post pics here. This can be the '08 Yeti thread.

Banga: Where are you going to be this year?

May 6, 2004
Damo,

• I already have Thomson Elite seatpost hence the choice. However, since there is a great demand for thomson posts here in the UK, I might well buy Masterpiece and then sell Elite seatpost.
  • The chainring choice is not definite, I have 34-36-38 to choose from so I am taking all of them to the Tribemeet to see which one is best for Cwmcarn.
  • As for 220/200 combination, well, I need extra power to stop my fat overweight a** on my way down. I know downhill is all about getting fast and NOT using brakes too much but for me it is all a learning curve, I am a proper novice to downhill - I joined the "club" only 3 months ago. I hope to get faster as my skills progress.
  • I would not be able to come around to Morzine this year, all credit cards maxed (hehe, but thanks to them my dream bike comes to life) so no funds this year. However, I intend to do Megavalanche next year and maybe a week in France so stay assured, you will see my ugly face sooner or later :biggrin:
  • Pics to come. I am excited about getting fox40 wet painted. I was not sure whether fox40 lowers could be powdercoated so I went the other way. In addition, not too many people wanted to do the job here in London, simply because three colour scheme required quite a lot of time and attention. The person who will do it for me has a mixed feedback, some love his work, others hate it. I hope I will love it. He seemed knowledgable when I met him to discuss the job.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Damo,

• The chainring choice is not definite, I have 34-36-38 to choose from so I am taking all of them to the Tribemeet to see which one is best for Cwmcarn.

• shimano make a 11-26 cassette? i know sram do, but not shimano. they have a 12-27, 12-25, 12-23, 11-23, 12-21 and 11-21.

anyways just say you are using a 12-25, no way you would be using the last few gears with a 38t, might just be able to with a 34. then using a 11-23 would be more sensible.

i am using a 12-25 with a 38t, far from spinning out in cwmcarn. you aren't pedaling in the really fast bits anyways, the fastest pedaling bit if probably just after the hip before the last jump.

36 with a 11- 23 is the way to go i reckon. i dont use my top 2 gears in dh, only to ride to my local woods.

May 6, 2004
dhkid ,

I have at least 4 shimano ultegra cassettes in different sizes. It does not matter whether it is 11-26 or any from your list. It was just to indicate what gear range I am using, probably 12-27 if I had to be precise.
Since I have the ability to pick and choose both the chainrings and the cassettes, I will use the Tribemeet to figure out the best combination. I am not competitive at the moment, I am not racing, I am learning though.

Anyway, it is not a discussion about my bike, this is Damo's thread and I do not want to steal it ;) Let us all enjoy his yeti 303

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
dhkid ,

I have at least 4 shimano ultegra cassettes in different sizes. It does not matter whether it is 11-26 or any from your list. It was just to indicate what gear range I am using, probably 12-27 if I had to be precise.
Since I have the ability to pick and choose both the chainrings and the cassettes, I will use the Tribemeet to figure out the best combination. I am not competitive at the moment, I am not racing, I am learning though.

Anyway, it is not a discussion about my bike, this is Damo's thread and I do not want to steal it ;) Let us all enjoy his yeti 303
my bad, just wanted to point out that rear cassette sizes are as important as chain ring sizes.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps

Did it myself. My take on NZ Maori 'koru' designs.

Used:

1x can undercoat spraypaint - found in my garage
1x can pearl white spraypaint - 8 euros
1x superfine paintbrush - 2 euros
1x tin gloss black - found in my garage
1x tube turquoise artist's paint - 3 euros
pencil lead for shading within design - found in kitchen drawer
3x coats clearcoat - free - my mate has a panelbeaters/car spay company.

Total cost - 13 euros/US$20/£10

Never painted a helmet? Give it a go. It may turn out better than you think. And its fun.