Quantcast

08 66 RC3 spring help

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
What spring comes stock in the 08 66 RC3? My wife is 130-140 and I need to change the spring. What is the lightest spring available and will it be light enough? Ive heard you can take out the spring completely and run air in the preload side. Any info?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I responded on another thread somewhere, but I don't remember where so I can't advise you to go there. :)

I'll say it here too!

I'm a buck 70 with gear. (thats 170lbs). The stock spring (yellow) yielded me about 4% sag. No compression, and as low oil levels as I could without having a dead spot. No air in the chamber (actually I'd compress it a bit and push the valve down and let some air out - which I strongly suggest doing for a lighter weight rider). I switched to the red spring. It was perfect for me. For her (at 130?) I'd recommend an ATA cart (with the newest edition of ata which doesn't wind down - been on my roommates bike for a couple months with no wind down issues), or the red spring.

Hope that helps

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Thanks.
I thought I heard you could remove the spring and run higher air pressure in the other side. Has anyone ever heard of this? Maybe Ill call Marzocchi today and see what they say.

So, the stock 66 is set up for a 170+ rider?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Thanks.
I thought I heard you could remove the spring and run higher air pressure in the other side. Has anyone ever heard of this? Maybe Ill call Marzocchi today and see what they say.

So, the stock 66 is set up for a 170+ rider?
No, adding air pretty much just effects the damping, it wont function as a spring. You can compress the fork all the way without the spring no problem, it'll rebound about 1/2 inch because of the air pressure. Removing the spring wont work. Get the lighter spring (red) or get an ATA assembly.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
No, adding air pretty much just effects the damping, it wont function as a spring. You can compress the fork all the way without the spring no problem, it'll rebound about 1/2 inch because of the air pressure. Removing the spring wont work. Get the lighter spring (red) or get an ATA assembly.
I called Marzocchi and they told me to remove the spring and add 30-35 psi of air in the other leg and it will work. He said he has helped a lot of people do this and its working great.

Thanks though.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I called Marzocchi and they told me to remove the spring and add 30-35 psi of air in the other leg and it will work. He said he has helped a lot of people do this and its working great.

Thanks though.
Wow I wish I had done that! I wanted to try it, but I was told it wouldn't work. Interesting.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I took the yellow spring out today and added 35 psi to the other leg. My wife rode the bike around the house and it almost seemed too soft. The fork did perform pretty good. I dont know if I trust just air, though.

Has anyone run the red spring? Will it be soft enough for a 130-140 lb girl rider?

Last edited:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
After riding saturday and sunday this weekend, I think I definitely need a softer spring for my '08 66 RC3. I weigh about 165-170 lbs with gear. I don't have any air pressure in it, but it's just not plush enough on smaller bumps/braking bumps and almost never uses the last 1-1.5" of travel. Where can I get a softer spring?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
You can get one directly from Zoke. You will need the red one. My wife runs the softer spring and likes it a lot better.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
After riding saturday and sunday this weekend, I think I definitely need a softer spring for my '08 66 RC3. I weigh about 165-170 lbs with gear. I don't have any air pressure in it, but it's just not plush enough on smaller bumps/braking bumps and almost never uses the last 1-1.5" of travel. Where can I get a softer spring?
You might need to add a bit of oil after adding the soft spring. If it bottoms don't assume it's too soft. If your sag is normal and it bottoms, add some oil. Just saying this because it's more likely when you switch to the softer spring.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
I took the yellow spring out today and added 35 psi to the other leg. My wife rode the bike around the house and it almost seemed too soft. The fork did perform pretty good. I dont know if I trust just air, though.

Has anyone run the red spring? Will it be soft enough for a 130-140 lb girl rider?
Maz seals are pretty damn good, why not try some more air and see how it goes. I would trust running just air if it was me, no different than Fox do with their float range. Many people add springs to worn out air forks so why not the other way around considering the 66's have air capability?
The only downside IMO is that they may lose some of that buttery coil feel.

Just checked in the Maz manual - you can run up to 65psi max

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Maz seals are pretty damn good, why not try some more air and see how it goes. I would trust running just air if it was me, no different than Fox do with their float range. Many people add springs to worn out air forks so why not the other way around considering the 66's have air capability?
The only downside IMO is that they may lose some of that buttery coil feel.

Just checked in the Maz manual - you can run up to 65psi max
I switched the spring and it feels way better. The small bump sensitivity it better than just air. Since it was for my wife I wanted it plush.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I finally got the softer spring two weeks ago since they were apparently on back order for a while. I have rode it twice so far and it is much better. Now I can add a few clicks of mechanical preload to get the sag right. I still have no air pressure in the chamber, adding any seems to make it too stiff. And I can make use of the compression damping without making it feel harsh.

You might need to add a bit of oil after adding the soft spring. If it bottoms don't assume it's too soft. If your sag is normal and it bottoms, add some oil. Just saying this because it's more likely when you switch to the softer spring.
I think I may need to do this, as occasionally it will bottom hard if I land front heavy. Do I need to add oil to both legs, or just the damper side or just the spring side?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Update:
Im at Whistler with the wife and she is only using 1/2 the travel with the red spring. Im going to have her try just air and no spring tomorrow. What air pressure should I try?