N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
RECALL: Cannondale 2008 model year "Scalpel" mountain bikes

Manufacturer:

Cannondale Bicycle Corporation, Bethel, CT

Reason:

The frame can break while in use, causing the rider to lose control and suffer injuries from a fall or collision.

Analyst Comments:

Please click on the hyperlink and the attachment to view notification details including product photo(s) dated January 8, 2008. The firm has received six reports of frames breaking. This recall is a result of discovering that the chainstays in these frames may be improperly bonded. There is a risk that the chainstays may separate from the rear dropouts, with risk of an accident or injury. Please do not ride your bike until the frame is replaced. Sold Price: Between $3,200 and $4,300.

No injuries have been reported. Manufactured in: United States.

Consumers should stop using the bicycle immediately and contact
Cannondale or authorized dealer for a free replacement frame. In the US,
if you wish to confirm whether your serial number is subject to recall,
or have any questions please contact Cannondale Customer Service at
1-800-BIKE-USA (245-3872). Consumers have been directly notified. For
further information, contact Cannondale at (800) 245-3872 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Model # Product Retail Price
8AVPFR Scalpel Frameset about $3,200
8VPO Scalpel Team about $6,900
8VP1 Scalpel 1 about $6,400
8VP2 Scalpel 2 about $4,300

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
my old race bike had a stress fracture along he seat stay yoke. frame was raced for 5 hards years, they replaced it no questions asked. at least theyre doing something about it.

wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
this recall has been known about for quite some time already. anyone who bought one of these Scalpels should, by now, be on a new one.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
While I do enjoy knowing that A product I own would have a Lifetime warranty, I hope never to have to use that warranty, or to find out the hardway what it feels like to catastrophicly<SP> break a frame while riding

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i work at a Cannondale dealer. We knew about this, as did the only customer that had an affected frame, at least 3 weeks ago.