Quantcast

'08 Formula K24 VS '11 Avid Code R

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Well, another question for those with experience on either.

I can get a new old stock 2008 Formula K24 f/r disc set with 203mm rotors.... OR 2011 Avid Code R brakes, any rotor sizes.

They are for a '06 Demo 8 I am building up.

I have used Avid stuff - nice, but when the chance for the Formulas came up, it threw a wrinkle in my plans!! Have always read positive things about Formula stuff, and with new Codes, don't want to get first year hiccups (I think Codes are new design this year).

So K24's will cost me about $50 less than Code R's.

Thoughts/experiences with both, either?

Thanks

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Don't know much about Codes but owning the oros is like having your girl being in her 6th month all the time. They can for very random reasons increase the lever throw and once for no apparent reason they stopped working. When they work they are great but they really lowered my confidence.

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
My best riding bud runs the Formula Ones. Not a direct comparison, but I thought it might be helpful. They're the best feeling brakes I've used, lever is awesome, modulation and power are fantastic. Probably slightly better than my Hopes (M4 on my trailbike, V2 on my DH bike).

Problem he's experienced is consistency. When the formulas are working they're great, but he spends more time trying to keep them dialed. In your case, I'd get the Codes. I'm not a huge Avid fan, but the last Codes I ran were decent and the new ones are supposed to be really nice.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've had Oros K24, which I replaced with Elixirs CR, which had been very good decision. Stronger, less spongy.
I am replacing front Elixir with Code (not R) 2011 in order to have real DH anchor on the front ;)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have a set of 2007 K24s I can't kill. They are on my AM bike and routinely see 15min steep DH runs. I have never bled them and I love the feel and power. That said I run The Ones on my DH bike and they have noticeable increased power for racing. For the money I have been very happy with my K24s and would buy them again. I will also add this, The Ones are sensitive to pad wear. Once the piston gets out due to pad wear the feel of the brake gets inconsistent and inferior. Keeping new pads in makes a huge difference.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Cant go wrong either way. I have had oros, k24, the ones and older codes now trying elixir crs and the new codes are supposed to be solid.
Ill be back on the ones within a month I was just giving the elixirs a good work over.

Elixirs and elixir 5's are really great modulation, good stopping without locking up hard
Original code was heavy and a bit finicky tons of power little modulation
The ones will be my brake of choice hands down.
K24 and bianco are solid when they bite good mod. For controling the rear without locking up and lockup solid when wanted. Light as well

New codes are supposed to be a big change I havent ridden them yet but based on the elixirs my guess is they are a solid setup.

b1k3_r1d3r

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
Ha k24s on a dh bike and xc bike. upgraded to code r's this past fall to put the elixers on the xc rig and codes ont he dh bike and rid of the k24s. They were old and needed a full rebuild but were great breaks. However that being said the codes will blow the k24s out of the water with stopping power.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Don't know much about Codes but owning the oros is like having your girl being in her 6th month all the time. They can for very random reasons increase the lever throw and once for no apparent reason they stopped working. When they work they are great but they really lowered my confidence.
Funny, that's about directly opposite my experience.

2 Sets of K24s here, no problems. I'm sure my riding terrain easily rivals Mr Poland's terrain, too... so don't dis me on the "your hills aren't like Polish hills" routine.

Besides: Avid does not make their own brakes in-house. They contract them out, like Specialized having Merida build its frames. Who makes them, do you think?

DOH!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Funny, that's about directly opposite my experience.

2 Sets of K24s here, no problems. I'm sure my riding terrain easily rivals Mr Poland's terrain, too... so don't dis me on the "your hills aren't like Polish hills" routine.

Besides: Avid does not make their own brakes in-house. They contract them out, like Specialized having Merida build its frames. Who makes them, do you think?

DOH!
Polish hills are actually quite short(the ones with dh trails at least). No dis here ;) Strange that no one here besides me had oro problems. It was quite common not only for me but some of my friends. Maybe a bad batch?

btw. I'm far to ugly to be Mr. Poland ;)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
DOH!
I don't think formula have made avid brakes in a long, long time if that's what you're implying. They might have had something to do with the original juicy brake design (hence matching bleed system) but I doubt it went beyond that.

Nothing against avid, but they're vastly different to formula these days. While the lever reach and pivot point on the formula stuff isn't the greatest, the current stuff (2011) is really nicely built - forged lever bodies and all metal components compared to the cast bodies and plastic joys that are usually inside the avid stuff.

I can get a new old stock 2008 Formula K24 f/r disc set with 203mm rotors.... OR 2011 Avid Code R brakes, any rotor sizes.
I'd get the codes between those - you're not exactly comparing apples to apples!